The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Fountain Pen Smell

fountain pen smell ink sack rubber

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lanep

Lanep

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 11:00

I have a Youth fountain pen (I think it's a Chinese knock off of a Parker pen). Anyway, I use it because it has sentimental value, but lately, and by lately I mean in the past year or so, I've always sensed a strange smell when writing with it.

I wouldn't describe it as a rubber smell, but similar to it. It's that intense that I can smell it while writing (so my head is at least 20cm away from the pen). I think that the ink is smelly as well, but I don't know if it's from the rubber ink container in the pen, or something else.

Does anyone have any remedies for this or should I stop using this pen in public? :D

Sponsored Content

#2 Charles Rice

Charles Rice

Mr. Pink

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 June 2016 - 12:00

If you are married, give the pen to a brother-in-law. 

If not, have a Brandy snifter handy while you write.  No, the smell of the Brandy won't cover the foul smell of the pen, but the more Brandy you drink, the less objectionable the smell of the pen. 

#3 lectraplayer

lectraplayer

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2016 - 04:32

Have you changed the ink out? See if the ink takes on the odor. Also try different inks.
If it isn't too bright for you, it isn't bright enough for me.

#4 ralphawilson

ralphawilson

Flâneur

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 June 2016 - 18:15

I note a smell that might be similar when I use either of my two beloved Parker 51s. No idea why; it doesn't seem to change with different inks, and nor do I notice the smell with other pens. Doesn't really bother me, however. 

"The surface is all you've got. You can only get beyond the surface by working with the surface." ~Richard Avedon

#5 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,836 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2016 - 21:48

I have a Parker Vacumatic in the old brown and gold sparlky lines design.  It smells like pencil shavings from sharpening pencils.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fountain, pen, smell, ink, sack, rubber

Sponsored Content

|