Caran D'ache Varius Ivanhoe

touzeen

Introduction:

I first saw this pen in a Horology magazine almost 6-7 years back. It was a 2 page Caran d’Ache ad featuring the pen with a tourbillion, the 1010, on one side and the Varius Ivanhoe on the other side. The “coat of mail” finish really caught my eye.

Skip forward 2,3 years and the local Caran d’Ache distributor stocks up on some Ivanhoe pens. I used to eye them every time I was at the mall which was at least once a month. Handled it a few times,did some dip tests with the tester. I probably used it so much that I felt like I owned it subconsciously. Then one day all the Ivanhoe FPs gets sold out. It was then that I knew I missed my opportunity. A few weeks of sleeping over it , getting some dreams about the pen, I finally order one at the beginning of May and buy it on the 1st of June. Rest in peace Paycheck.

Packaging:

Nothing too special here. Outer grey sleeve, slate colored box.

Box contains the pen; a Schmidt made Converter, 2 Cartridges and some paperwork.

13332958_10153447852656008_9116173430081

13346723_10153447852476008_5274602257554

Currently using one of the Included cartridges.

The Pen:

Not much to say except "just look at that!".

13321834_10153447852726008_8168361598954

In the hand,its a pretty compact pen, fitting my smallish hands well. Nice heft to it,mostly in the cap.

The cap is polished to a mirror and a fingerprint electromagnet! Impossible to keep clean, which I have given up on.

The clip has a "vintage" look to it.

The chain coat has a smooth finish but the typical feel of running a fine chain between you fingers.

And if you try to press the chain coat between your fingers you do feel a very little bit of give.

It trully it remarkable how they get such a tight level of finish and tolerance.

The end has another polished finial which receives the cap for posting with a firm grip but making the pen back heavy.

13322023_10153447852766008_8984724329882

Uncapping the pen takes exactly 2 turns and is buttery smooth! Another area of amazement as the threads are metal.

The nib is #5 size 18k Rhodium plated. It might look small but is proportional to the over all aesthetics of the pen. It has an interesting flourish pattern on it. It writes a normal Medium line width and is among one of the smoothest pens I have giving a slight feedback only on touch down. Good flow and consistency. No complaints for a nib out of the box.

The section is again polished and a fingerprint nightmare but again it doesnt bother me. The diameter is on the slim side,picture holding a pencil,thats how thin it is. There is a palpable step between the barrel and section but the threads are inconspicuous. I find holding the section comfortable and non slippery but it might be a problem for a few people.

The sections screws open to allow inking. Another thing to note is the rubber O ring.

13346519_10153447852831008_3289572962201

Some size comparisons:

13325444_10153447928076008_1206981879064

13307223_10153447928101008_7125685679346

Conclusion:

Having used this pen for a full day it feels like I have found my perfect pen. Had been telling myself that this is my grail pen but that term doesn't seem right now. A grail item is something which you strive your whole life to attain. Am I lucky to attain mine so soon in my journey? Sure feel like it.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• touzeen

• jar

• pollandakuma

• pkotrcka

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations on a wonderful pen. Very artistic indeed !!! Love it a lot

So nice to hear that you have your grail pen!

I don't actually know what is my grail pen. Pens are like adventures, they just happen to me :) I plan to get one, then I get another instead, and later an ugly duckling I would never think about before... I love them all.

Thanks for the review .. The pen looks good .. :)

ALWAYS LOOKING FOR INDIAN PENS .. IF YOU HAVE ANY KINDLY PM ME..

Great review of a handsome looking pen.....congratulations..,

Thanks for the review

Nice pen. I don't really like the look, but I can feel your love from the post. Have fun with it!!! :D

Broke

I really like the Varius design. My personal favorite seems to be the Metwood but my ChinaBlue gets out to play almost as often.

Similar feelings for me with my Ecridor. But.. You know, grail pen "status" only lasts for 2 days after the purchase itself :-D But I hope that in your case I will be wrong.

Enjoy your pen and thanks for your review.

... I believe in purple ink

Thank you everyone. One of the main reason of posting my first impressions was because there are just so few posts about this amazing pen.

Thank you for the review...
Time to look for new grail pen

Maybe at the next "Love at first sight"

x

Nice pen. I don't really like the look, but I can feel your love from the post. Have fun with it!!! :D

Maybe if you tired it out in person?

x

I really like the Varius design. My personal favorite seems to be the Metwood but my ChinaBlue gets out to play almost as often.

Not fortunate enough to try the other finishes...

x

Similar feelings for me with my Ecridor. But.. You know, grail pen "status" only lasts for 2 days after the purchase itself :-D But I hope that in your case I will be wrong.

Enjoy your pen and thanks for your review.

Its been 6 days and I'm still in Love :-P

x