Fountain Pens And Cancer

Bklyn

My prayers are for you. I wish I could have been there to have taken you by the hand, to have seen her beautiful face, and to have heard the stories of all the joy she brought to her relatives and friends.

In the darkest moments you pass through in the coming days, remember you are the luckiest of all men on this earth because you are the one she chose to give her love to, the one she chose to spend her precious time with. No one and nothing can take away these important facts from you. Nor can anyone or anything take away the wonderful memories of the life you shared with her. So, in the darkest moments you pass through in the coming times, always strain as hard as you need to in order to see the beautiful light she so wants you to see.

There is nothing I or anyone else can say to take away the pain you feel and will feel for sometime. I know that you can survive the pain you feel, but just the fact that you can survive it is not sufficient reason to survive it. The reason to endure it and survive the pain is in the love she gave you, in the love you shared.

I am sorry that I have stumbled about and failed to say anything that will actually help you. I so wanted to be helpful. So I will simply promise that my prayers are with you.

-David (Estie).

Edited by estie1948

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bklyn

• estie1948

• zwack

• Old_Inkyhand

Bklyn,

I am sorry I had not seen this post earlier. Please accept my condolences and know that I, along with so many, are praying for you and are sending our love. Continue to embrace your love for the Fountain Pen. As you write with yours, remember all at FPN who are thinking about you, sending prayers and love to you and accept our strength to give you strength through this new chapter in your life. We care very much about you!

I love the idea of a dog as they always seem to know how to reach out to us with their unconditional love. Do keep us posted and let us know how you are doing.

Delores

Two-Sisters ~ Have Cameras, Will Travel "Seize the Day with your Favorite Pen in Hand!"

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c137/InkyZ1/FPN/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

Tears and prayer and love going out for you tonight. A year and 3 months ago I sat where you do tonight, trying to understand all that was happening and feeling so empty. Such a big hole in your heart when you loose the one you choose to spend your life with. The last night we had together, she told me to go on and live when she was gone, to take it one day at a time, to find someone to share the rest of my life with. I never thought any of that was possible then and for months afterward. But I'm here to tell you that there is life after such a loss, in time actual joy and God willing, love. Prayer and loving friends helped me get through. Don't hole up at home and avoid the world! Make yourself get up, get out and be with people and live!!

Good advice. I am pushing myself just one day at a time. Back to work tomorrow for a few hours. I thank you for your prayers!

Anyone like Ray Bradbury? Please read "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair" if you have about 12 minutes.

You will not forget this wonderful gem that is largely obscure and sadly, forgotten. http://bit.ly/1DZtL4g

My prayers are for you. I wish I could have been there to have taken you by the hand, to have seen her beautiful face, and to have heard the stories of all the joy she brought to her relatives and friends.

In the darkest moments you pass through in the coming days, remember you are the luckiest of all men on this earth because you are the one she chose to give her love to, the one she chose to spend her precious time with. No one and nothing can take away these important facts from you. Nor can anyone or anything take away the wonderful memories of the life you shared with her. So, in the darkest moments you pass through in the coming times, always strain as hard as you need to in order to see the beautiful light she so wants you to see.

There is nothing I or anyone else can say to take away the pain you feel and will feel for sometime. I know that you can survive the pain you feel, but just the fact that you can survive it is not sufficient reason to survive it. The reason to endure it and survive the pain is in the love she gave you, in the love you shared.

I am sorry that I have stumbled about and failed to say anything that will actually help you. I so wanted to be helpful. So I will simply promise that my prayers are with you.

-David (Estie).

You have not stumbled. It is great to read your words. It is a tough place right now but the power of prayer is so strong. I thank you.

Anyone like Ray Bradbury? Please read "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair" if you have about 12 minutes.

You will not forget this wonderful gem that is largely obscure and sadly, forgotten. http://bit.ly/1DZtL4g

Bklyn,

I am sorry I had not seen this post earlier. Please accept my condolences and know that I, along with so many, are praying for you and are sending our love. Continue to embrace your love for the Fountain Pen. As you write with yours, remember all at FPN who are thinking about you, sending prayers and love to you and accept our strength to give you strength through this new chapter in your life. We care very much about you!

I love the idea of a dog as they always seem to know how to reach out to us with their unconditional love. Do keep us posted and let us know how you are doing.

Will do my friend. I will check in form time to time.

Bklyn,

I wish you every comfort during this time of shock and grief May time and the love of friends, family and community soften the sharpest edges of your grief.

May the memory of your beloved wife bless you.

With heart,

Stacy

Edited by stacybean

Bklyn,

I wish you every comfort during this time of shock and grief May time and the love of friends, family and community soften the sharpest edges of your grief.

May the memory of your beloved wife bless you.

With heart,

Stacy

Stacy, I thank you for the kind words. It is rough but I am in a day to day mode of living. I hope things change.

Bklyn,

I just came across this thread and read it straight through. My condolences are going to you. I lost my beloved wife to it after a nine-year battle, 7 years ago today. Her last night was spent in a beautiful hospice setting, pain-free. You will be numb and experience all sorts of emotions over the coming weeks. Just know you are not alone. Re-read the good thoughts expressed here... you know what they are... and know that it is not necessary to say an eternal good-bye to her. Love survives death in ways that we cannot know... S.

Bklyn,

I just came across this thread and read it straight through. My condolences are going to you. I lost my beloved wife to it after a nine-year battle, 7 years ago today. Her last night was spent in a beautiful hospice setting, pain-free. You will be numb and experience all sorts of emotions over the coming weeks. Just know you are not alone. Re-read the good thoughts expressed here... you know what they are... and know that it is not necessary to say an eternal good-bye to her. Love survives death in ways that we cannot know... S.

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. How terribly sad. My wife was in a hospice house as well. They were so good to her. G-d bless.

Get a puppy. Oh yeah, and a vacuum cleanerattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

These are great pics. Love them. I have a vacuum cleaner but the dog might have to wait. Thanks!

I'm sorry to hear about this. Cancer is just horrible.

You're not alone in this feeling. When my dad was fighting cancer I took comfort in fountain pens as well. I didn't really write much. I just loved doodling with my flex pens. My dad found it soothing as well and started playing with pens also.

I can't say anything better about your anguish than what others have posted before. I lost my father to a misdiagnosed strain of Leukemia that conspired with a heart condition to frustrate his doctors.

To address the question about fountain pen usage, I find that when I have difficulty expressing an idea in writing using a fountain pen is the only way to break writer's block.

The feel of the nib on paper and the sight of ink beading is relaxing to some degree.

The different part for me is that one has to keep one's hand moving or else the pen blots the paper or the nib dries out. Those facts mean that my ideas have to flow like the ink. My fear of blotting the paper or drying out the nib, means my mind lines ideas up to keep the pen moving; ideas literally flow from the pen in a way that always gets me through the writer's block.

I'm sorry to hear about this. Cancer is just horrible.

You're not alone in this feeling. When my dad was fighting cancer I took comfort in fountain pens as well. I didn't really write much. I just loved doodling with my flex pens. My dad found it soothing as well and started playing with pens also.

I thank you for your comment. I am thinking of your dad and will say a prayer.

I can't say anything better about your anguish than what others have posted before. I lost my father to a misdiagnosed strain of Leukemia that conspired with a heart condition to frustrate his doctors.

To address the question about fountain pen usage, I find that when I have difficulty expressing an idea in writing using a fountain pen is the only way to break writer's block.

The feel of the nib on paper and the sight of ink beading is relaxing to some degree.

The different part for me is that one has to keep one's hand moving or else the pen blots the paper or the nib dries out. Those facts mean that my ideas have to flow like the ink. My fear of blotting the paper or drying out the nib, means my mind lines ideas up to keep the pen moving; ideas literally flow from the pen in a way that always gets me through the writer's block.

WONDERFUL story of the power of the fountain pen. I went back to work yesterday and much of what I do is write. I find that feeling the ink lay down on the paper is therapeutic and helps me to think. I am so sorry to hear for your father. How terribly sad. I will say a prayer for him.

Interesting thing has happened.

I took one of my fountain pens and wrote a long letter to one of the MD's I met when my wife was at the Lahey Clinic. He was from india and was a Sikh. He had a turban and saw the world differently than the American MD's We spoke about many things as time allows but he told me something I did not forget.

He said that it does not matter how long he lives. Does not matter how long his life is or how short it is. He just wants to focus on having a happy life. He believed that a happy life is important and that despite stress and difficulty, people were meant to be happy. I believe he just might be right. I wrote hi a long letter and reminded him of who I was. I asked him to give me advice on how to do that. If the letter gets to him and he answers me, I will post his answer here.

As an aside, I have been writing a number of letter to old friends using my fountain pans. It is very satisfying. Hope all of you are well.

I agree with your doctor friend. It is quality of life that matters. I am an old man and I can honestly say that there are periods of time (in some cases amounting to years) that I merely endured. I didn't live them. Then there were other periods of time that were great - not always wonderful without troubles or sorrow, but taken as a whole - they were great. I really lived those times for however long they lasted.

From an old, old man's perspective, allow me to say that when one looks back, some of those times that seemed so bad when one is living through them are some of the times most fondly remembered when you reach my time of life. So, I tell my younger acquaintances that no matter how bad today is, tomorrow may be better. There may very well be a lot of very bad todays before the first better tomorrow comes along, but come along it will. Trust God, live one day at time, and look for the good in each day, if not in each hour.

There was a song more than a few years ago with the line: "I been down so long it looks like up to me." I have learned the hard way (seems to be the only way I ever learn anything) that when I find myself in the deep down spot, I need to do two things: 1) find someone who needs help - it is never hard; and, 2) do my level best to help them. Feeling sorry for my self, having a personal pity party (however much it might be honestly deserved) does no good for me or for anyone else. Trying to help someone may not really help them, but it, somehow, always helps me.

Still saying my prayers and including you in them always. Wishing you the very best. Keep writing those letters.

-David (Estie).

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

I agree with your doctor friend. It is quality of life that matters. I am an old man and I can honestly say that there are periods of time (in some cases amounting to years) that I merely endured. I didn't live them. Then there were other periods of time that were great - not always wonderful without troubles or sorrow, but taken as a whole - they were great. I really lived those times for however long they lasted.

From an old, old man's perspective, allow me to say that when one looks back, some of those times that seemed so bad when one is living through them are some of the times most fondly remembered when you reach my time of life. So, I tell my younger acquaintances that no matter how bad today is, tomorrow may be better. There may very well be a lot of very bad todays before the first better tomorrow comes along, but come along it will. Trust God, live one day at time, and look for the good in each day, if not in each hour.

There was a song more than a few years ago with the line: "I been down so long it looks like up to me." I have learned the hard way (seems to be the only way I ever learn anything) that when I find myself in the deep down spot, I need to do two things: 1) find someone who needs help - it is never hard; and, 2) do my level best to help them. Feeling sorry for my self, having a personal pity party (however much it might be honestly deserved) does no good for me or for anyone else. Trying to help someone may not really help them, but it, somehow, always helps me.

Still saying my prayers and including you in them always. Wishing you the very best. Keep writing those letters.

-David (Estie).

David, this is such warm and wonderful advice. The days vary for me. some are OK and some are very hard to survive. Your advice to take one day at a time is so helpful. I thank you my friend.

I keep thinking about you every day. This isn't very helpful, but if you ever felt lonely, you could know that somebody - most likely a lot of people - thinks about you and wishes you all the best.

I keep thinking about you every day. This isn't very helpful, but if you ever felt lonely, you could know that somebody - most likely a lot of people - thinks about you and wishes you all the best.

That means the world to me. This has been an amazing group. Support from so many wonderful people. I thank you.