The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Announcement: New Privacy Policy
Please note that as of today, May 25, 2018, a new Privacy & Cookie Policy is in force, compliant with the GDPR. By continuing to use FPN, you accept this new policy.
You may find the new policy by clicking the button or link at the bottom of each page called "Privacy Policy", or alternatively by clicking below:

New Privacy Policy
***** The FPN Admin Team *****

Photo

Fountain Pens And Cancer

• Please log in to reply
255 replies to this topic

#241 Bklyn

Bklyn

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 March 2017 - 01:18

I

I realize this is a bit off-topic, but I envy you because you had a family member who was interested in fountain pens.  My family is pretty big on technology, and they kind of don't understand me but they let me continue with my hobby.

That is GREAT. Fountain pens are here to stay.

Anyone like Ray Bradbury? Please read "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair" if you have about 12 minutes. 

You will not forget this wonderful gem that is largely obscure and sadly, forgotten. http://bit.ly/1DZtL4g

Sponsored Content

#242 Bklyn

Bklyn

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 879 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 May 2017 - 03:39

Such a sad time of the year. Thinking back to how much trouble we were in. How we desperately tried to save her. 

Anyone like Ray Bradbury? Please read "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair" if you have about 12 minutes. 

You will not forget this wonderful gem that is largely obscure and sadly, forgotten. http://bit.ly/1DZtL4g

#243 FOUR X FOUR

FOUR X FOUR

Antique

• Premium - Diamond

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 May 2017 - 05:10

Hey Bklyn.how are you doing? I'm glad to see that you're still kickin. No, I'm not going to say anything about puppies.😀😀😀

#244 empliau

empliau

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 May 2017 - 21:27

Not everybody is sensitive to anniversaries, but when you are, it can be exquisitely painful - it's as though a body clock alarm is going off, and what happened at this time (last year, five years ago) is felt again.  I am so sorry for your loss, but you gave her everything in human power - care, understanding, respite from pain, and loving arms for the journey.  One day that will be more comfort than it is now.  Seen from the outside, I still think what I thought when I heard she was gone: that if I go as she did, I will have all (except more time, sadly not in our gift yet) that anyone could ask for.

There is an evening prayer in the Episcopal prayer book that says it better than I can:

O Lord, support us all the day long, until the shadows lengthen and the evening comes, and the busy world is hushed, and the fever of life is over, and our work is done.  Then in Thy mercy, grant us a safe lodging, and a holy rest, and peace at the last.

#245 Bklyn

Bklyn

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 879 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2017 - 19:02

Just saw this. Thanks so much!

Not everybody is sensitive to anniversaries, but when you are, it can be exquisitely painful - it's as though a body clock alarm is going off, and what happened at this time (last year, five years ago) is felt again.  I am so sorry for your loss, but you gave her everything in human power - care, understanding, respite from pain, and loving arms for the journey.  One day that will be more comfort than it is now.  Seen from the outside, I still think what I thought when I heard she was gone: that if I go as she did, I will have all (except more time, sadly not in our gift yet) that anyone could ask for.

There is an evening prayer in the Episcopal prayer book that says it better than I can:

O Lord, support us all the day long, until the shadows lengthen and the evening comes, and the busy world is hushed, and the fever of life is over, and our work is done.  Then in Thy mercy, grant us a safe lodging, and a holy rest, and peace at the last.

Just saw this. I thank you so much for this.

#246 Bklyn

Bklyn

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 879 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2017 - 19:04

Such tough times. Today is my sons 31st birthday. His first without his mother. I am sitting with him as he is working from home today. It is all so sad to see him on this day without his mother to cheer him on. She was very proud of him. VERY. My thanks to all of you for your kindness and support.

#247 Bklyn

Bklyn

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 879 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 September 2017 - 18:26

So sorry to be late in replying here. i thank you for the kind thoughts and insights.

#248 sidthecat

sidthecat

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,336 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 September 2017 - 02:27

It's coming up on the anniversary of my husband's death. It's nine years, but I get unexpectedly misty as I peck this out on my phone.
I usually commemorate the day by getting together with his family and remembering him and it's not sad, because he was the best thing that ever happened to me.
My point is that memories are a gift, and it's nice to unwrap it every so often, even if it makes you cry.
People you love stay with you, and not in a bad way.

#249 Waukegan

Waukegan

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 September 2017 - 08:23

I love the routine that I go through when I use my pens. I reach into my pocket and choose from the several that I always have with me. Choice of extra fine, fine, medium, or stub. Sometimes the ink color will dictate. Then I have to unscrew the cap and orientate the nib to the proper angle. I take some pleasure in knowing there is someone nearby watching me go through the steps. Then I relish as the slightest contact lets out a nice line of ink. I take note of how shiny the ink goes on wet and dries to a matte finish. Even if it's merely cataloguing information for the accounting department, the writing is so much nicer than anything that would come out of a ballpoint. No matter the thickness of line, the ink always makes the writing stand out. I can merely scan a page and tell which entries I've made. Screwing the cap back on and either putting it back in my shirt pocket or carefully laying it down to be used again soon, I feel like I've put myself into another world even for a few minutes. Me time.

Between my finger and my thumb

The squat pen rests.

I'll dig with it.

-- excerpt from "Digging" by Seamus Heaney

#250 Wolverine1

Wolverine1

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 20:39

Bklyn- I sent you a PM the other day. Please check it and send me a reply if you are up to it, will ya?

Be well, my friend.

-Sid

#251 dukki

dukki

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 September 2017 - 21:02

For me it is helpful.  My wife has cancer; stage 4 and in operable. It is so terribly sad and she is so afraid. I am so afraid as well. Truth be told, I am terrified of her not being with me anymore.

I sit and use my pens after a day of work and then my time at the hospital. I do a bit of writing and a bit of drawing. The ink flowing onto the paper is calming. It is almost Zen in a sense and helps me to relax and hope for better things tomorrow.

I'm so sorry to hear about your wife. Don't want to offer any platitudes, but I do hope you can make it through this and that your wife is holding up decently. 

Agreed on writing to help. I find it helps with anxiety and stress. I tend towards an anxious state that can get out of hand if left unchecked, and the writing helps. Plus, the inability to edit my thoughts and free-write also allows me to really see what's going on in my head. 

Also....ain't the sound of pen slightly dragging on paper just the most soothing thing ever? 

#252 Bklyn

Bklyn

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 879 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2017 - 02:28

I'm so sorry to hear about your wife. Don't want to offer any platitudes, but I do hope you can make it through this and that your wife is holding up decently. 

Agreed on writing to help. I find it helps with anxiety and stress. I tend towards an anxious state that can get out of hand if left unchecked, and the writing helps. Plus, the inability to edit my thoughts and free-write also allows me to really see what's going on in my head. 

Also....ain't the sound of pen slightly dragging on paper just the most soothing thing ever? 

Yes indeed! the sound of the pen dragging on the paper is lovely. It is a wonderful thing.

Howard

#253 Rosendust2121

Rosendust2121

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2017 - 15:59

I recently lost my uncle to Pancreatic Cancer this August & I have found that journaling his helped me grieve him as well as a breakup I recently have gone through. I feel like Fountain pens & the right paper(which in my case happens to be Rhodia & Clairefontaine and sometimes Leuchtturm1917) is a form of catharsis. 

Many boys will bring you flowers. But someday you'll meet a boy who will learn your favourite  flower, your favourite song, your favourite sweet. And even if he is too poor to give you any of them, it won't matter because he will have taken the time to know you as no one else does. Only that boy earns your heart.”  

Leigh Bardugo

Regards,

Rosendust

#254 Bklyn

Bklyn

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 879 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2017 - 02:34

I recently lost my uncle to Pancreatic Cancer this August & I have found that journaling his helped me grieve him as well as a breakup I recently have gone through. I feel like Fountain pens & the right paper(which in my case happens to be Rhodia & Clairefontaine and sometimes Leuchtturm1917) is a form of catharsis. 

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your Uncle. I hope that your pens and inks and paper soothe your soul and your life.

#255 Bklyn

Bklyn

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 879 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2018 - 19:15

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your Uncle. I hope that your pens and inks and paper soothe your soul and your life.

Happy New Year to you all.

Best,

Bklyn

#256 Bklyn

Bklyn

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 879 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2018 - 20:36

Bklyn- I sent you a PM the other day. Please check it and send me a reply if you are up to it, will ya?

Be well, my friend.

-Sid

Hi Phil:

Hope you are well. Just thinking of you.

Sponsored Content

|