Dallas Pen Show 2016

ScienceChick

I had a great time at the show. Got some good deals on pens and ink from Dromgoole's and Halper's pens. I finally landed the Parker Duofold in cracked ice that I regretted not buying two years ago when I was in Halper's in El Paso.

Dromgoole's sold me the tortoise shell Pelikan I wanted, and Wife picked up a Lamy All Star with a stub nib.

Never argue with drunks or crazy people.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fuzzy_Bear

• PAKMAN

• amberleadavis

• TXKat

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just got back from the show, I hadn't planned on any major purchases, being my first show I wanted to see what was out there.

Great experience, Andersons, Franklin Cristoph, Vansess, were there. I got a bottle of Diamine Oxford Blue from Andersons.

Lots of Rhodia, lots of inks. Was a great first experience, will go again next year a little more prepared.

Edited by ShortRound131

Just got back from the show, I hadn't planned on any major purchases, being my first show I wanted to see what was out there.

Great experience, Andersons, Franklin Cristoph, Vansess, were there. I got a bottle of Diamine Oxford Blue from Andersons.

Lots of Rhodia, lots of inks. Was a great first experience, will go again next year a little more prepared.

Looking back a year, I have to agree that the first show can be overwhelming! I was happy to hear about the "tours" they were having for first time attendees this year. Even as a second time attendee, the sheer number of things to look at and possible choices was a bit much. I dipped my toe in the vintage pen waters this time (and made a purchase), but I am still very much more comfortable looking at inks and current/recent model pens. Maybe next year I will go deeper into the beautiful vintage pens on offer.

I'm glad you enjoyed your time there!

Current Daily Carry: Pilot Custom 743 with 14k Posting nib (Sailor Kiwa-Guro), Sailor 1911L Realo Champagne with 21k Extra Fine nib (Sailor Tokiwa-Matsu). Platinum Century 3776 Bourgogne (Diamine Syrah), Nakaya Portable Writer Midori with 14k Extra Extra Fine nib (Lamy Peridot), Pilot Vanishing Point Stealth Black with Extra Fine nib unit (Pilot Blue Black), a dozen Nockco DotDash index cards of various sizes and a Traveler's Notebook.

It was a terrific show, not just the pens, but the people. Finally got to meet deacondavid, who had asked me to bring a Nakaya so his friend could see one. I was happy to bring both of mine, remembering how I was allowed to handle my first one at the D.C. show last year, courtesy of Brad Dowdy. Spent most of the show with my partners in crime, the insanely great ScienceChick, TxKat, and Paul, any of whom could turn a morticians' convention into a good time. Also had some very entertaining dinner conversations with other attendees--it's worth coming back year after year and getting to know more people. It was great to see Steve Halper from El Paso, but sad to hear that he's closing his store about a mile from my old high school, after a 28 year run. Also saw Andreas Lambrou, whose office is also about a mile from my high school, but in the other direction. I greatly enjoyed visiting with the Andersons and Lisa Vanness, but was disappointed that Bryant/Chatterley Luxuries didn't come this year. Also saw Detlef Bittner, Sam and Frank Fiorella (Pendemonium), Mario Campa (Toys from the Attic), Joel and Sheryl (Inkpen), Ryan Krusac, and the inimitable Susan Wirth.

My resolution not to spend too much didn't last long. Started off with a NOS Sheaffer Snorkel pen and pencil in black with chrome and gold caps, still with the nib stickers in place, purchased from my good friend Joe Lowe. I was glad to find this pen with a medium nib, and at Joe's recommendation, I took it immediately to another great guy, Danny Fudge, to get a new sac and to have the snorkel mechanism tuned up. While waiting my turn with Mike Masuyama, I visited with our old friend Pakman, who brought a dazzling array of pens for sale this year. He gave me a great price on a Montblanc Edgar Allan Poe with a fine nib, with box and papers. Then wandered into the other room, where I found Robert Fillmore, who, you have to admit, is aptly named for a pen collector. I added to my collection of vintage Montblancs by picking up a 136 from him, with an oblique broad nib.

The folks at Franklin Christoph are always great to see, and they kindly increased the flow on a Masuyama medium cursive italic 1901 that I had bought from them at the D.C. show this year. As usual, they were doing a land office business, and I suspect that their biggest problem is meeting the demand for all their excellent products. My turn with Mike came up, with the most important task I had for him being a left oblique grind on a Danitrio Genkai that I had bought when I visited Dromgoole's last spring. Mike did his usual magic, and I was very pleased.

Speaking of Dromgoole's, everybody was talking about the daring daylight robbery of Larry's store last Tuesday. The thief took $7k worth of Montblanc merchandise, but was clearly caught on the security video. I hope everybody will be on the lookout for this lowlife, who should spend some serious time in prison. On a more pleasant note, Larry is always great to see, and in addition to the usual show T-shirt and Noodlers ink-of-the-show, I just happened to run across a Namiki Yukari grapevine Maki-e pen that I couldn't resist picking up as a gift for a close friend of my family's who is a winemaker.

Of course, I was very active as an enabler for my friends. Among other things, I encouraged their purchases of a Montblanc 134 and Heritage 1912, as well as a fantastic small Parker Lucky Curve with a gorgeous flex nib from Pete Kirby, whose selection of pens was awesome as usual. The most impressive enabling was my moral support of the acquisition of a magnificent Taccia pen in black urushi, extensively decorated with raden. My friend not only bought this pen, but also rewarded me for my rôle as accomplice by giving me a beautiful Taccia Sakura patterned pen roll, capable of holding some of my largest pens. I am most grateful for her generosity.

Also on Saturday, I made one last purchase of the striking sterling silver Watermark pen by Visconti, which to my mind is their most elegant effort in some time. This purchase was enabled once again by Larry Dromgoole, who sweetened the deal by including a traveling inkpot, in addition to a most generous discount.

The show ended way too soon, but we all look forward to next year!

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Jmmcarty3,

Is Steve Halper going out of business, or just going online?

I found his El Paso store on vacation 2 years ago and failed to buy a pen I wanted. I was able to make the purchase Friday. Steve said he was going to have more of an online presence in the future.

He also invited me to visit his store in El Paso, so your news is a big surprise!

Never argue with drunks or crazy people.

JMMCCARTY3 has so eloquently summed up the Dallas Pen Show experience this year, to a T!

There is very little I can add other than I had a wonderful and memorable time and I treasure the opportunity to spend time with some of my dearest friends! You have become family!

In addition to the beautiful pens, the knowledge available makes for some wonderful and educational conversation. To me, this is one of the best parts of the show. It's a wonderful show, but just small enough to be somewhat intimate...if you don't mind crowds! :D

Danny, thank you! Hope you made it home safely and without much weather interruption. Looking forward to seeing you next year. Enabler! ;)

My "no pen" policy this year was...not followed, but I only got 5 bottles of ink this year! :yikes: Perry, YOU, sir, are also an enabler! Thank you!! :wub: I shall enjoy my Parker Penman Sapphire!

Clayton, Cynthia, Jay, Paul, ...you are some of the very best!!

...Paul...SPIDER! :lticaptd:

Edited by TXKat

So, what's your point?

(Mine is a flexible F.)

Jmmcarty3,

Is Steve Halper going out of business, or just going online?

I found his El Paso store on vacation 2 years ago and failed to buy a pen I wanted. I was able to make the purchase Friday. Steve said he was going to have more of an online presence in the future.

He also invited me to visit his store in El Paso, so your news is a big surprise!

Hi, Steve told me that he was going to close the shop in several months, so he'll be open awhile longer. Didn't talk to him about his online plans.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

What a great show this year! I gave out 20 FPN pins, thanks so much everyone for stopping by and saying hi and visiting with me! I just love the camaraderie of pen folks, it is the very best part of the shows for me! I sold a dozen of my pens and 6 bottles of Parker Penman ink and came home with 2 new to me pens and one bottle of ink.

Pen Show Pic on Friday and Saturday with my Red Hawaiian shirts!

post-5351-0-42109200-1474924472_thumb.jpg

post-5351-0-50013300-1474924518_thumb.jpg

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Thanks Danny and PAKMAN. 😁

Got some new ink and some pens, thanks Paul.

Good to see everyone from the hub as well.

Here is the promised selfie of Fuzzy_Bear and I ! Looks like I am the Fuzzy one in this picture! One of these days I'll learn how to make Selfies!

post-5351-0-02484700-1474924702_thumb.jpg

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

You looked great!!!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Here are the rest of my pictures from the Show! Enjoy! Best attendance ever. These pictures are actually during a lull in the show.

post-5351-0-38267800-1474925103_thumb.jpg

post-5351-0-42019000-1474925109_thumb.jpg

post-5351-0-00673600-1474925119_thumb.jpg

post-5351-0-16883200-1474925127_thumb.jpg

post-5351-0-23269100-1474925132_thumb.jpg

post-5351-0-93916500-1474925138_thumb.jpg

post-5351-0-04627500-1474925149_thumb.jpg

PAKMAN

FUN FUN FUN

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I did not get there in time to have Mike Masuyama stub my 146 by the end of the day Saturday, so that will wait for next year. I did spend a lot of time at the Vaness tables...what a great selection of great inks!

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

Those pictures were certainly during a lull that I did not see when I was there!

Current Daily Carry: Pilot Custom 743 with 14k Posting nib (Sailor Kiwa-Guro), Sailor 1911L Realo Champagne with 21k Extra Fine nib (Sailor Tokiwa-Matsu). Platinum Century 3776 Bourgogne (Diamine Syrah), Nakaya Portable Writer Midori with 14k Extra Extra Fine nib (Lamy Peridot), Pilot Vanishing Point Stealth Black with Extra Fine nib unit (Pilot Blue Black), a dozen Nockco DotDash index cards of various sizes and a Traveler's Notebook.

And the selfie is still the only picture of you or I that ever shows up!

Well, now I have pictures of you both.

OK. Here is a challenge, and a little bit of a hijack.

When I look at my picture, I see Ookla the Mok.

Who do you see?

Edited by Fuzzy_Bear

Peace and Understanding

Fuzzy, I couldn't decide between Animal and Sweetums. :)

745d6-sweetumsandgirls.jpg