Pelikan Hub 2016

pepsiplease69

The San Antonio Hub was a small but enjoyable event. We got to share and see pens in person that we otherwise would not have been able to see. Our hub master brought along his M1000, and we had all of the other sizes represented, including one very tiny Pelikan. The various ages of the Pelikan were represented, as well, dating back from 1952 through 2016.

Thanks to Pelikan for their gifts and thoughtfulness in bringing Pelikan owners together.

Thanks to our young hub master for organizing and hosting our little group.

Never argue with drunks or crazy people.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bbs

• Fuzzy_Bear

• pepsiplease69

• ac12

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What is the purpose of the elastic band on the Pelikan sleeve we were given?

If it weren't open at the bottom it might make a great quiver for an archery-minded meerkat. ;-)

We were told that it is a pen holder for your journal.

post-117628-0-00103000-1474128161_thumb.jpg

post-117628-0-59527000-1474128194_thumb.jpg

post-117628-0-66135300-1474128214_thumb.jpg

Although, I have to say I like the Meerkat suggestion, too!

Edited by Wandering Man

Never argue with drunks or crazy people.

Thanks. That makes sense. Fortunately I don't use any notebook that size. Meerkats hate repo men.

It will fit on the Hub notepad too ;) could use it with that. Just remember to clip the pen, else it may drop from the bottom.

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

It will fit on the Hub notepad too ;) could use it with that. Just remember to clip the pen, else it may drop from the bottom.

~Epic

Yeah, I was wondering a bit about that. I had visions of losing pens out the bottom, even if they were clipped. My Pelikans are amongst my more expensive pens (the M400 and the vintage 400 being the most expensive pens I own) and I lost an M200 Café Crème last March, so I'm a bit twitchy when I think of running the risk of losing other pens.... Especially since I've noticed on occasion the the caps are prone to unscrewing themselves, even when standing up in a canister with other pens.

You've made me curious, though, so I just pulled the thing out and tried it on a 9-3/4" x 7-1/2" composition book. The elastic is too stiff to stretch from top to bottom; it does fit okay horizontally, but would have to be removed to open the notebook.

It is a great color, though.... :thumbup: Hoping that the Edelstein Aquamarine ink is as nice a color....

Because otherwise I'm stuck with a nearly full bottle of ink I don't like...

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Yeah, I was wondering a bit about that. I had visions of losing pens out the bottom, even if they were clipped. My Pelikans are amongst my more expensive pens (the M400 and the vintage 400 being the most expensive pens I own) and I lost an M200 Café Crème last March, so I'm a bit twitchy when I think of running the risk of losing other pens.... Especially since I've noticed on occasion the the caps are prone to unscrewing themselves, even when standing up in a canister with other pens.

You've made me curious, though, so I just pulled the thing out and tried it on a 9-3/4" x 7-1/2" composition book. The elastic is too stiff to stretch from top to bottom; it does fit okay horizontally, but would have to be removed to open the notebook.

It is a great color, though.... :thumbup: Hoping that the Edelstein Aquamarine ink is as nice a color....

When I noticed the gap at the bottom I thought you could either super glue the bottom together from the inside (lay a bead of super glue down?). I won't use it until I do that becasue I am afraid I'd lose a pen too.

As far as the ink, teal is one of my favorite colors. I tried it in a new Wahl and the ink was wet and it shaded beautifully.

As mentioned above, the Dallas Hub was a great success and lots of fun. Thanks to ScienceChick and Kat for putting it all together! Thanks Jay for bringing MANY unique issue Pels that I might otherwise not see.

It was also great timing locally because the Dallas Pen Show is next weekend, so it gave us a chance to meet new people and renew old friendships and get plans together for next week.

Thank you Pelikan and sponsors for all of the great inks, and prizes. Fun time for us and great PR for you!

Clayton

"Not a Hooker Hooker, but rather a left-handed overwriter."

Oh, dear! Trust me to post in the (evidently) wrong spot: I had already posted a small appreciation and put it under...Pelikan threads! Thank you, Dick, for pointing me in the right direction.

Thanks, too, to our intrepid Hubmeisterin for another year's fun, even if bright lighting seems to elude us (hardly her fault!) Damn all these restauranteurs who evidently think that dim lighting is the way to successful atmosphere!

It was a lovely, fun-filled evening with plenty of laughter (made apparently the richer for a few martinis beforehand?) Thank you, CR, and Pelikan.

As mentioned above, the Dallas Hub was a great success and lots of fun. Thanks to ScienceChick and Kat for putting it all together! Thanks Jay for bringing MANY unique issue Pels that I might otherwise not see.

It was also great timing locally because the Dallas Pen Show is next weekend, so it gave us a chance to meet new people and renew old friendships and get plans together for next week.

Thank you Pelikan and sponsors for all of the great inks, and prizes. Fun time for us and great PR for you!

Clayton

This was my first hub. My thanks and gratitude to Pelikan, TxKat and ScienceChick. I may be wrong, but I think ScienceChick is a teacher. How many teachers do you know that use "chick" for a forum name?

Whenever I have gone to the Dallas pen show, I have always wondered. Now, I know who to look for while I am there. I always go on Friday. That's my day. The kids were 5 and 7 the first time I went. So they were in school. I was a stay at home father at that time. Saturday's were family time. I may show up on Saturday and bring the motley crew with me.

So, this was the first time I met anyone from here or any other enthusiasts from the area. The conversations ranged from pens, oddly only about a quarter of the conversations, to many other topics.

I got to discuss with ScienceChick some school related items. Like I've said, I am a bus driver. No teacher training nor classroom management training. So I got to discuss, briefly, a student who picked me as a confidant. It was an honor that they felt I could be trusted!

I'm still trying to figure out how everyone knew who I was when I walked in though. I know I drove the farthest, but I was'nt the last one to arrive. Now I have to work remembering everyone's names.

In many ways, it was better than the show. It was a small group that could take the time to get to know each other better.

P.S. We even introduced one of our waiters to the hobby. We had him sit down with us for about 10 minutes. He got to play with a couple of pens and I think he played with some of the ink as well. You'll have to get others, Paul, to verify. I was too busy talking, though I did send my TWSBI 1.1 stub for him to try.

😁 👍

Edited by Fuzzy_Bear

Peace and Understanding

P.S. We even introduced one of our waiters to the hobby. We had him sit down with us for about 10 minutes. He got to play with a couple of pens and I think he played with some of the ink as well. You'll have to get others, Paul, to verify. I was too busy talking, though I did send my TWSBI 1.1 stub for him to try.

When the Pittsburgh Hub wound down and we were all heading out of the restaurant, some guy came up to us and started talking. He was in the process of dropping out of some writers group and was looking for another group of people to hang around with. I ended up talking to him for about 25 minutes. Turns out he likes fountain pens, but had no idea that people still really use them. I have his business card and need to remember to ping him tomorrow or Tuesday because he's interested in showing up to the next Steel City Nibs meeting.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

When I noticed the gap at the bottom I thought you could either super glue the bottom together from the inside (lay a bead of super glue down?). I won't use it until I do that becasue I am afraid I'd lose a pen too.

I am tempted to sew across the bottom...

The quiver fits perfectly on my A5 Leuchtturm.

Z.

Adding my thanks to all at the London Hub who made it such a fun evening. I arrived late so missed (possibly) introductions and of those I didn't know am guessing that David6 had the spare nibs, one of which was luckily recovered from having dropped on the floor, and Christopher Godfrey, hmm, either the chap interested in the Stresemann or the fellow with the lovely Asa Galactic? But so nice to meet you all, and hope to bump into you all again at the London show in less than a fortnight!

Sympathies to poor Bergerac who made it to the hotel but couldn't find the bar we were in - next year!

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

No, bbs, this Christopher Godfrey was in attendance in "Beantown", USA -- aka Boston! (I thought London a bit <too> extravagant for an evening!). ;^)

Thank you, Pelikan for organizing the backdrop that was the Dallas Pelikan Hub. We had a blast!

Thanks ScienceChick for making the pact that if one of us Hubmistressed, the other helped! It was fun pulling this all together!

I really enjoyed seeing old friends and making new. Tori, Jaya and Fuzzy, you are now part of our weird little family! :wub: We love to talk pens, show pens, fix pens, use pens, devour ink, buy ink, buy pens, buy paper...lol. You catch my drift!

Jay, your personal flock is nothing short of impressive. I know some of us have decided to look for more birds at the pen show...even though we originally said, 'no', thanks to you! You have a beautiful collection!

...and the waiter was so interested that we gave him a vintage Reform and a vial of ink, after filling it with Aquamarine. He now knows how to fill it and properly hold it. Hope we have a new convert.

Thanks to those vendors that helped make our hub even more exciting!

Now to the business of the day...I want to know more about the Meerkat suggestion, hahaha!

So, what's your point?

(Mine is a flexible F.)

Thanks to Debbie and Oscar for organizing the Washington DC Pelikan Hub!

It was great to see everyone there, and I'm looking forward to the next one.

Scientia potentia est.

No, bbs, this Christopher Godfrey was in attendance in "Beantown", USA -- aka Boston! (I thought London a bit <too> extravagant for an evening!). ;^)

Sorry, your flag threw me off track! Plus it was dimly lit where we were too!

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

We at Delhi, India had a great time at Pelikan Hub, 2016. Thank you Vaibhav Mehndiratta for being our hub master and to bear all the pain for arrangements. A very special thanks to Vaibhav's better half as well :)

fpn_1474391813__1.jpg

Edited by bk123

"It's simple to be happy but difficult to be simple"

We at Delhi, India had a great time at Pelikan Hub, 2016. Thank you Vaibhav Mehndiratta for being our hub master and to bear all the pain for arrangements. A very special thanks to Vaibhav's better half as well :)

fpn_1474391813__1.jpg

Thank you so much

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter