Pelikan Hub

DrCodfish

I just crunched the numbers in prep for an upcoming blog post. Looks like this year is currently showing at least 43% growth over last year. Seems like the hubs are really expanding. 8 more countries, 37 more cities, and 608 more people than last year so far. Philadelphia is in again for the 3rd year running and I'll be the hub master for this location again this year. Can't wait.

But there are some weird things going on as well. London UK has been denied a hub, yet I know of 7 people that registered for London and other cities have been granted a hub with 7 or fewer registered.

So far, two of us have emailed Pelikan in the hope that we can have our hub.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sargetalon

• TXKat

• DrCodfish

• conib

But there are some weird things going on as well. London UK has been denied a hub, yet I know of 7 people that registered for London and other cities have been granted a hub with 7 or fewer registered.

So far, two of us have emailed Pelikan in the hope that we can have our hub.

I think the problem was finding someone to organise the London UK hub. I had an email a couple of weeks ago, as no doubt many others did, asking for anyone who would be interested in organising a London hub to submit their name. It would seem there were no takers.

Another email from Pelikan. The London Hub WILL take place, seems that an email error was the problem 👍

I think the problem was finding someone to organise the London UK hub. I had an email a couple of weeks ago, as no doubt many others did, asking for anyone who would be interested in organising a London hub to submit their name. It would seem there were no takers.

More than one email problem - I didn't get the email seeking a hubmaster, but I know someone that did and responded saying they would step up.

27 people are now shown as registered for London :)

Kat- I just registered and I was #18. I didn't attend last year, so I'm a Hub Virgin... Tee Hee!

Yay!!

We will get you all fixed up!!! It will be fun.

So, what's your point?

(Mine is a flexible F.)

Registrations for Boston appear to be at 17 so far -- up on last year, which ended at about half-a-dozen of us, so (even given some drop-outs) I am hoping that Joshua is correct in that it does seem to be gaining in popularity.

Although I am looking forward to this event, please, Time, don't go too fast: I still want lots more summer!

The list of this year's hubs is out: http://www.pelikan.com/pulse/Pulsar/en_US.Pelikan.showActiveHubs.208879.token.hgXQJNSDQG8Pbg6GxhyZHO5GZiQQBOOYC2yQX6FEGD06ygj2EbxuI3qQQMwncdPCRwJxe2jUDIJG2mtKYSuXlU./index.html

Dallas has 15 registered--pretty good turnout for just one week before the show. There are smaller hubs in Austin and San Antonio.

Thanks for the link. I've been looking for that.

I've signed up for the San Antonio HUB. I think BillZ and I are the only ones in Victoria who know what a fountain pen is, so we have to travel to get our FP "fix."

We've got 8 as of this morning in SA.

Two more days to sign up!

Never argue with drunks or crazy people.

Looks like Pelikan has added Buenos Aires, Argentina as well. Now up to 111 cities

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I just signed up for Chicago. Wish I knew where it was actually taking place......

Has Pelikan extended the sign up deadline?

The Hubmaster probably won't want to make a final decision about location until after the sign ups are closed. In any case, determining the location is a tough task on zero budget, and the Hubmasters have had less than a week on it. Please be patient.

The registration does appear to still be open. It's great that the attendance continues to increase but such large hubs definitely puts a burden on the hub master when it comes to findings a suitable location on zero budget. That is certainly a problem that is only likely to continue and of course there is no one solution since the geography of the hubs is so varied. I understand that Pelikan was worried about this last year but I'm not sure that they've taken any steps to mitigate it this year. Hopefully the hub masters can get creative and make things work out. The good news is that there is plenty of time to scout out a venue.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Has Pelikan extended the sign up deadline?

The Hubmaster probably won't want to make a final decision about location until after the sign ups are closed. In any case, determining the location is a tough task on zero budget, and the Hubmasters have had less than a week on it. Please be patient.

Obviously these hubs are taking place in large cities.... Depending on where the location ends up (especially in Chicago) could have a dramatic effect on turnout.

The registration does appear to still be open. It's great that the attendance continues to increase but such large hubs definitely puts a burden on the hub master when it comes to findings a suitable location on zero budget. That is certainly a problem that is only likely to continue and of course there is no one solution since the geography of the hubs is so varied. I understand that Pelikan was worried about this last year but I'm not sure that they've taken any steps to mitigate it this year. Hopefully the hub masters can get creative and make things work out. The good news is that there is plenty of time to scout out a venue.

Anything above twenty participants it's already a nightmare, that's five tables in a coffee shop for at least two hours of the day. I only can imagine the many difficulties to organize something larger than that. Of course the three hubs in Taiwan are a thing of madness, their only option is to arrange a picnic in a park and hope for a good weather forecast.

Anything above twenty participants it's already a nightmare, that's five tables in a coffee shop for at least two hours of the day. I only can imagine the many difficulties to organize something larger than that. Of course the three hubs in Taiwan are a thing of madness, their only option is to arrange a picnic in a park and hope for a good weather forecast.

Yep I noticed the counts for Taiwan.

You need a stadium at that point. It's insane.

Edited by pepsiplease69

Unfortunately Islamabad was not chosen as Hub city. The nearest hub cities are Kabul and New Dilhi. Let us see what the travel advisory says.

Yes I noticed Kabul was there with 5 participants.

Nothing for Pakistan. Bummer.

At least there should have been Karachi or Lahore.

Maybe next year. Insha Allah.

I will be HUB master for Vilnius (only 1 HUB in LIthuania), cant wait for the meet!

Sincerely,

Dennis