The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Old Sheaffer Lifetime - Repair Worthwhile?

ancient sheaffer lifetime repair advice

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JordanN

JordanN

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 May 2016 - 22:29

My father recently gifted me with an ancient Sheaffer Lifetime fountain pen. As you can see from the photos, the sack became brittle and burst.

I would like to know whether it is worth trying to replace the sack and make the pen usable again, or whether I should put it back together and leave it in the past where it belongs.

(With apologies for the huge image. I attempted to resize the image, but the forum broke my BBCode.)

0530161721_HDR.jpg

Detailed images:
The three pieces in close to their correct color
The sad pieces and sack remains
Nib detail in grayscale
Inside of body showing lever.
Nib section held in hand showing where sack attached.

Edited by JordanN, 30 May 2016 - 22:33.

Sponsored Content

#2 Wandering Man

Wandering Man

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 May 2016 - 23:03

Yes. Vintage pens are almost always worth the cost of repair, IMHO.

Your father's pen? May depend on the relationship you have/had with him.

Never argue with drunks or crazy people.

Check out my blog:

Life Lessons from Dogs, Bees, and Others

Sex Offenders: Myths and Stories

#3 pen2paper

pen2paper

arty o the irst art

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 23:12

.."..worth trying to replace the sack and make the pen usable again.."

Absolutely. 

It's possible to re-sac yourself, though as a gift from your father, were it me, I'd have Ron Zorn or another well-known Sheaffer repair person do the honors.

emoticon-animal-007.gif~Hi! fountain pen enthusiast here~

#4 AD64

AD64

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 23:14

I would indeed suggesting repairing it. Wonder if Shaeffer would work on it? Does "lifetime" imply a lifetime of service?

#5 JordanN

JordanN

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 May 2016 - 23:23

.."..worth trying to replace the sack and make the pen usable again.."

Absolutely. 

It's possible to re-sac yourself, though as a gift from your father, were it me, I'd have Ron Zorn or another well-known Sheaffer repair person do the honors.

Maybe I should repair it and give it back to him? I got him started on fountain pens a couple of years ago, and someone stole his prized Lamy Safari about a week ago.

I believe this Sheaffer pen had been placed in a desk drawer years ago and forgotten. I think he might have been given this by his father, but I don't recall.

Edited by JordanN, 30 May 2016 - 23:24.

#6 AD64

AD64

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 00:03

Maybe I should repair it and give it back to him? I got him started on fountain pens a couple of years ago, and someone stole his prized Lamy Safari about a week ago.

I believe this Sheaffer pen had been placed in a desk drawer years ago and forgotten. I think he might have been given this by his father, but I don't recall.

Repairing it and returning it to your father sounds like a wonderful thing to do.

#7 pen2paper

pen2paper

arty o the irst art

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 03:06

This is a touching thought : )

...have it restored to fine writing again, plus it's a special father son connection  : )

There are several excellent at restoring old pens. Ron is one of these trained in Sheaffer repair.

emoticon-animal-007.gif~Hi! fountain pen enthusiast here~

#8 Parker51

Parker51

Old dog

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 May 2016 - 03:29

Do not send it to Sheaffer. Will they honor a lifetime warranty, yes, to the original owner, but that will not get your pen repaired in all likelihood as they don't have the ability to repair most pens and so you might end up with a replacement. While that did not happen with a vintage pen with me, it did happen with a modern one my wife bought me, and I have regretted it ever since as the replacement pen while of equal cost to the one I sent in, it was not the one my wife bought me. They said they didn't have the parts as it was no longer a current product and it was about six years old.

#9 Romagno

Romagno

Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas. Vergil

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2016 - 15:42

Is the nib tipping intact?

If so, this is a very simple and inexpensive repair.

I have a similar pen, in green Jadeite, which is in my rotation.

A very nice pen.  Sheaffer nibs are usually wonderfully smooth.

"... et eritis odio omnibus propter nomen meum..."

#10 pen lady

pen lady

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2016 - 17:13

Yes, it's worth fixing.  Now, if you don't know what "tipping material" is, here's the 101 lesson.  Your nib is made of 14 kt. gold which is too soft to use for writing for any length of time. At the tip of the nib you'll notice the metal is silverish,  this is a long wearing metal - iridium.  You'll need to make sure that the iridium is present on both tines (forks) of the nib, A magnifying glass is helpful but not essential.  If the nib is damaged, it will usually be cheaper  to find a replacement than to have it re-tipped.  Sheaffer made wonderful smooth nibs, Romagno's correct, it will most likely be pretty firm though.

Once you get this pen back from whichever pro you send it too, you won't believe how good it looks.  Go for it!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ancient, sheaffer, lifetime, repair, advice

Sponsored Content

|