Got A 145 As A Gift From My Parents, Is It Authentic?

briang

Hi guys,

My parents recently bought me a 145, ident 112676 MB Meisterstuck red gold fountain pen as my graduation gift. As live out in the country so i know they definitely didn't buy it from a boutique store, and they only they way they would've got it is online. Because of that, I am of course a little apprehensive and i would hate to think that my parents took them for a ride especially since they shelled out 100's of $ for such a nice gesture.

When i received it, i got the long cream box pictured, however it was not plastic sealed or anything which was my first concern. In the booklet, someone also filled out the Ident. No which is 112676 on the Guarantee page, but did not fill out the other field such as Product, Individual no. and Date of purchase. There is a stamp on the Montblanc authorised retailer though from 'OHclock'. However, on the guarantee page it also says Ident. No 1107947 which also seemed off to me.

The pen comes in a nice box, with a small strip of bubble wrap. I've gotten a fake MB when my friend went to China earlier this year and they look scarily similar and weigh almost the same. Some things to note:

My serial number is on the clip ring, directly opposite the clip. It goes MBFXXXXXX

There is no Pix under the clip, it says Made In Germany, and Made In Germany and METAL underneath it.

I've attached pictures of the pen and tried to get as clear picture as i can of the nib.

Cheers.

http://i.imgur.com/yCCTaLBl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/yUjjjnul.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/biK3X6zl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/skfwpI5l.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/MRVpR33l.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/74urWhMl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Tv0aVm5l.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/NC5ytjPl.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• briang

• meiers

• Valdair

• alexandero

Top Posters In This Topic

To my knowledge a 145 is a piston filler, and does not have a converter. What you have appears to be a very good specimen of a 144. Treat it well, your parents got you a very very nice gift :D

The 144 is basically a slightly smaller version of the 145 that does not have a piston filler (instead using a cartridge or converter) and has a pull on push on cap instead of the threaded on the 145.

The 144 is no longer produced either so in my opinion it makes it more rare and probably will become more desireable in the future :D

Thanks for the replies guys! I am very glad with it, already ordered 3 inks for it :)

To my knowledge a 145 is a piston filler, and does not have a converter. What you have appears to be a very good specimen of a 144. Treat it well, your parents got you a very very nice gift :D

The 144 is basically a slightly smaller version of the 145 that does not have a piston filler (instead using a cartridge or converter) and has a pull on push on cap instead of the threaded on the 145.

The 144 is no longer produced either so in my opinion it makes it more rare and probably will become more desireable in the future :D

Ah, i wasn't aware what version the 112676 was, i read that it was a 145 somewhere on here. This pen has a threaded cap though, is something amiss?

Edited by briang

I have a 145P which is converter filled......unless it's a fake :o

I appear to have been mistaken, the 145 doesn't appear to have a piston and is indeed a cartridge or converter pen

Many apologies I could have sworn I read somewhere the 145 had a piston, maybe I got confused along the way as I was reading

All in all though it's a beautiful pen and use it with pride :D

I purchase a 90th Anniversary Classique right before they were taken off the market. It is a cart/converter and I think a 145. The 146 was available as a smaller version of the 149 being a piston fill model. It is slightly larger than the Classique. I have a 149 so didn't go for the 146. From what I've read/seem/observed, the 149/146 are piston fill. The 147 is the Traveler model with the 2 cart clip and the leather case for protection. The 144 was similar to the 145 but with a snap cap. The 145 is a screw-on using converter or cartridge. I also have a Starwalker from 2007 that is cartridge only. Is most/all of this true facts? Don't like to spread bad info.

Pat Barnes a.k.a. billz

Genuine.

Fill it with ink and write a nice thank you letter to your parents. They'll be delighted.

Enjoy.

I appear to have been mistaken, the 145 doesn't appear to have a piston and is indeed a cartridge or converter pen

Many apologies I could have sworn I read somewhere the 145 had a piston, maybe I got confused along the way as I was reading

All in all though it's a beautiful pen and use it with pride :D

Guess you are confused with the 144, cause the very early modles of the 144 are piston fillers... The 145 has no piston.

Amr

Edited by ASL

Cheers - Amr S Laithy

Email: amrslaithy@gmail.com

Cairo Egypt

@OP: it looks genuine. Weird that they did not fill out the rest of the warranty card, but the stamp is the important part should you ever need service on it.

BillZ is correct when it comes to the 144 vs. 145; they are basically the same pen, but the 144 is a snap cap which is no longer produced, as it was replaced by the threaded cap of the 145. Both were referred to as "Classique". Montblanc's cartridge converter really only fits in those two pens, to my knowledge, as everything else is either a piston or designed to take standard international cartridges (like the M or cartridge filled Bohemes) which means the threads on the converter won't let it fit securely.

Welcome Aboard! Briang..congratulations on your

gen-u-ine Montblanc Chopin 145 and graduation

from secondary..or perhaps university.

Please enjoy your time here.

Fred

Thanks for the clarification guys, i'm very happy with it :)

@OP: it looks genuine. Weird that they did not fill out the rest of the warranty card, but the stamp is the important part should you ever need service on it.

BillZ is correct when it comes to the 144 vs. 145; they are basically the same pen, but the 144 is a snap cap which is no longer produced, as it was replaced by the threaded cap of the 145. Both were referred to as "Classique". Montblanc's cartridge converter really only fits in those two pens, to my knowledge, as everything else is either a piston or designed to take standard international cartridges (like the M or cartridge filled Bohemes) which means the threads on the converter won't let it fit securely.

I found out from my parents they got it off eBay. How would this work in terms of warranty since there is only a stamp on there, and when i google OHclock, nothing comes up? I heard that MB boutiques would swap out your nib for free and i might swap my M to a F as i prefer thinner writing.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but the 145 is not a piston filler. It is a C&C fill pen.

Thanks for the clarification guys, i'm very happy with it :)

I found out from my parents they got it off eBay. How would this work in terms of warranty since there is only a stamp on there, and when i google OHclock, nothing comes up? I heard that MB boutiques would swap out your nib for free and i might swap my M to a F as i prefer thinner writing.

It appears OHClock is indeed an eBay store based in the UK, although I cannot find any pens in their listings. I have known watch stores to sell Montblanc pens (Watch Works in California had a small section dedicated to Montblanc pens, watches, and leather; my mother got my oldest brother a 164 for graduating college there). I doubt they are an authorized dealer (not sure why they stamped your certificate then, kind of a dick move). The nib swap program is only for pens purchased through a boutique or authorized dealer, and only for six weeks. It involves sending the pen to Texas. You can have the nib re-ground by a nibmeister for considerably less than Montblanc would charge you for a new nib.

I have seen another post here that referenced ohclock and did some searching. The site I found did sell pens and gave their addresses in USA and UK. Basically these did not give me confidence - they were a postal drop box and a launderette! Now, this does not mean they are not the real deal. If this is the same company, they do have a trading history, unlike the usual sites selling fakes.

One does wonder about their supply chain.

You don't know what you need until you realise you haven't got it.