Flow Issue With M205?

tinazhou37

Hi all

I finally gave in and bought my first pelikan m205. Got it in a fairly well respected store in Taiwan (cuz pens are cheaper here apparently). When I was trying out the sample pelikan in store, I noticed that the m nib writes kinda fine. But since it was a sample pen that probably has been beat up, I didn't think too much about it. After the salesperson gave me the new pen, he inked it up in store and let me try my new pen. I usually write with fairly little pressure and I noticed that the pen writes almost like a Japanese fine (even though it's a European M!) To my horror, the flow is inconsistent. It even skips sometimes. When I mentioned this to the salesperson he said that I write too lightly and my dad (who was getting impatient by that point) tried it and it seemed ok (he puts lots of pressure on his pens). So I left with my new pen inked with some beautiful pilot iroshizuku. Now the more I write with it, the more I notice the flow issue and it does not feel normal to me At All. My impression is that not only is a pelikan nib supposed to be smooth, it should also be very wet. And that's not what I'm getting. I don't think my light pressure should be the issue because its not a problem with my other pens, ranging from my cheap jinhao to my twsbi classic EF nib. Has anyone else gotten this problem before? Honestly I was debating between a pilot metropolitan and a pelikan when I was buying...the pilot met writes so smoothly and I thought the extra $$$ mmay mean that pelikan should do better. Am I expecting too much....

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tinazhou37

• Rowingbiker

• OCArt

• Ronderick

The Pelikan M2xx are wonderful pens. I suggest you flush and fill it with water several times and then try an ink with known properties like Waterman, Iroshizuku or Montblanc inks. You may also have to "break it in" by writing several pages. If any of these suggestions don't work you may have a problem. But I'm betting everything is OK.

Oh.... do check the tines of the nib with a loupe to see if they are aligned.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

The Pelikan M2xx are wonderful pens. I suggest you flush and fill it with water several times and then try an ink with known properties like Waterman, Iroshizuku or Montblanc inks. You may also have to "break it in" by writing several pages. If any of these suggestions don't work you may have a problem. But I'm betting everything is OK.

Oh.... do check the tines of the nib with a loupe to see if they are aligned.

I've only heard great things about this pen so I remain hopeful! Will try flushing the pen. Thank you!

Check your Pelikan box for the warranty book (most likely at the bottom of the box... you should see it after removing the white pen sleeve). Assuming you bought it from an authorized dealer, they should have filled out the warranty for you.

If you are still in Taiwan, bring the pen back to the store and ask them to check your nib to see if there's any problems (if the store only does retail you can ask them about where to direct repairs). If not, try to contact the local distributor in your country and see where services can be conducted. I believe that the nibs all have 3-year warranty.

I believe the Pelikan warranty also gives you 4 weeks time to replace the nib for another size nib. So maybe give that a try if you still can't figure out what's wrong.

Hi Tina,

I also bought an M205 recently, although I went for a Broad nib.

Just to add to the advice given above, you are right to expect that the nib should be smooth, and wet. I am delighted with mine and you should not need to apply heavy pressure to get the ink to flow.

You should be able to exchange your nib if you are not happy with your choice, or if there is anything wrong with it. Possibly it might just need flushing or a little "running in". If it is smooth, the presumably the tines are not miss-aligned. Possibly the tipping material might be over-polished, resulting in the skipping.

Also, the stainless steel nib units are not very expensive and you could always order another nib, perhaps of a different width.

I am sure that you will be delighted with the pen once you have overcome this initial problem.

Check your Pelikan box for the warranty book (most likely at the bottom of the box... you should see it after removing the white pen sleeve). Assuming you bought it from an authorized dealer, they should have filled out the warranty for you.

That's not usually the case actually. Many vendors in my experience do not stamp the booklet reliably. Doesn't impact the warranty one way or another though provided you have the original retail receipt.

As far as the flow issues go, I agree with the above. Sometimes oils from manufacturing can linger and flushing can help unfoul the nib. If you have a loupe, you can identify a lot of nib issues with ease (misalignment, baby's bottom). Fairly affordable for a decent one but definitely money well spent.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Hi Tina,

I had the same issue with a 205 demonstrator last week (F nib).

You might want to flush it with cool-lukewarm water with a (one) drop of washing-up liquid added.

Then flush well with normal water to get rid of the detergent.

Worked for me, now it writes without skipping and no pressure needed whatsoever.

Best regards,

Rob

rowingbiker

Paterswolde, The Netherlands

Hi Tina,

I had the same issue with a 205 demonstrator last week (F nib).

You might want to flush it with cool-lukewarm water with a (one) drop of washing-up liquid added.

Then flush well with normal water to get rid of the detergent.

Worked for me, now it writes without skipping and no pressure needed whatsoever.

Best regards,

Rob

Hi Rob (and everyone who's been so kind to offer advice)!

I did flush the pen and even soaked it in water overnight..it's still having the same issue :/ I think I may contact the local distributor to get it checked out.

Thanks though!