Need Help Choosing

rj1992

Hi,all.

I've been mulling some things over, and I would like to get another pen that would be good for school use. Love my Pelican 200, but want something else too. So I've been thinking about:

Pilot Stargazer

Lamy 2000

Platinum 3776 Century

Edison Beaumont

I do a lot of writing,and sometimes have to go for awhile with the cap off until I write again. I was curious of your opinions.

Thanks

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rj1992

• ac12

• Erik Dalton

• Rhincodon

What about a Pilot Vanishing Point?! I love mine for meetings when I'm taking notes. I don't have to worry about a cap, if there is a long period when there is no writing to be done it's just a matter of clicking the button. I have a fine nib and it just sips ink so a little ink goes a long way. They are about $10 cheaper than a Lamy 2000 at Goulet Pens.

Edited by linearM

I can't talk about the Pilot as I never used it. I do own the three others. My preferred one is the Beaumont. It has a 1.1 nib. However, the Beaumont and the Platinum are using converter. If you write a lot, you may run out of ink during the day.

I love my Lamy 2000 because I can write for several days without having to refill it. However, I had to play a lot with the nib to make it smoother. It was very scratchy out of the box (F nib).

Lamy have wide-ish nibs, so for school I would go with a 2000 F nib and Pelikan ink. A dry ink makes it write similar to an Asian F nib.

Cheers,

Pierre

The Pilot Stargazer is much, much smaller than a Platinum 3776. It's unlikely that they will both be comfortably sized for you. Find a store or show or friend where you can experience for yourself how they feel in your hand.

I chose the Lamy 2000 for a role where it might be capped/uncapped often or left uncapped for a while, will write like a dream when asked, is robust and elegant yet looks discreet so not to arouse pen envy. The latter may be a consideration for school, given you will not want it nicked but still like a nice pen. It also has, as mentioned, a large ink tank which is practical in a student setting.

On the other hand my view is biassed in that I selected the 2000 outright based on considerations like the above, not after owning all of the pens you mention.

X

Hi,all.

I've been mulling some things over, and I would like to get another pen that would be good for school use. Love my Pelican 200, but want something else too. So I've been thinking about:

Pilot Stargazer

Lamy 2000

Platinum 3776 Century

Edison Beaumont

I do a lot of writing,and sometimes have to go for awhile with the cap off until I write again. I was curious of your opinions.

Thanks

WHY do you have to go for a while with the cap off until you write again?

When I write, I hold the cap with my left hand, and when I stop, I put the cap on the pen. Either a hard cap or a soft cap, but I cap the pen.

Second, IMHO school is a high risk environment (damage, loss or theft). I do not recommend taking expensive pens into a high risk environment.

I define the level of expensive as "how financially and emotionally painful will it be to replace the pen you lost?"

Because I had a gold pen stolen from my desk at work, and that was so painful that from that day on, I only used pens from the supply cabinet. My own pens never came back to work.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Of the 4 listed I have a Lamy 2000 & several Platinum Century 3776s. Although I like my 3776s, in the environment of school notetaking I feel that the L2K might be your best choice. It will write for a lot of pages. Also being " not so fancy-looking " it would likely call less attention to itself - as in fewer sticky fingers.

I, too, wonder about the necessity of not replacing the cap. But my L2K will go for a good while without the cap being on in between writing periods.

I had both F & M nibs. However, preferring the M PIFed the F. In your case an F might be more appropriate for taking notes.

If your out-go is more than your income,

Then your up-keep.

May be your Down-falll!!!

Do NOT demand that your ink NOT dry in the air. Ink is intended to dry, when exposed to air. You would not like an ink that behaves otherwise. Develop the habit of replacing the pen cap, even loosely, when you pause in writing.

You have a list of pens with good quality and reputation. What do you like about your Pelikan M200 ? What wold you change about it ? No criticism intended. I want you to think about choosing the next pen by more than name.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

You can partially cap your pen...just not fully click it in, or screw the cap on. That keeps a pen writing.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I have been looking into a Vanishing Point as well, very stealth.

As for taking expensive pens to school, I've never really had a problem with theft, mostly because I am anal about never leaving my things anywhere I am not. My pens always stay in my shirt pocket, and I check before I leave any area.

I really like the smoothness of my M200.

The Lamy 2000 has really peaked my interest for awhile now, it does look like it could fly under the radar easily, but the nib issues I've heard about worry me.

I have been looking into a Vanishing Point as well, very stealth.

As for taking expensive pens to school, I've never really had a problem with theft, mostly because I am anal about never leaving my things anywhere I am not. My pens always stay in my shirt pocket, and I check before I leave any area.

I really like the smoothness of my M200.

The Lamy 2000 has really peaked my interest for awhile now, it does look like it could fly under the radar easily, but the nib issues I've heard about worry me.

I used a pair of Parker 45s thru undergrad and grad school. I had no problems with the nib drying out on me.

What nib issues with the L-2000 are you concerned about?

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Actually a couple of Parker 45's would be great pens in a school environment. (just ask ac12 or one of many others here who used it there) If one or both got damaged, lost or stolen you could get a replacement pretty inexpensively. (all of mine were under $30 - even for the Flighter which has a stainless body)

I don't have experience with any of the pens on your list though.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Pelikan M200's, but in some ways they aren't real practical for a school setting.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Of the options you listed, the Platinum #3776 is the only one I have. It's a wonderful pen and I use it for my Rune classes quite often. (No one would dare try to snag it as I'm usually the most dangerous looking person in the room.)

But might I offer the TWSBI Eco for consideration? Inexpensive piston-filler, and in my experience, flawless performers.

Ha, I was just about to post something very similar! Except I'm only looking between the Platinum 3776 and the Edison Beaumont. I love the look of both of them and they're similarly priced (and both available at my preferred retailer)... I haven't purchased a pen in many years and I've heard great things about the Edison company but I also adore the look of the 3776. So difficult.

Platinum pros:

* Beautiful blue color - and transparency seems neat

* Gold nibs - look fancy?? Write nicely? (Only have steel nibs so far except a vintage pen I rarely use)

* I really like Japanese pens and this is less expensive than the nice Sailors

* I've heard great things about Platinum

Edison pros:

* Can switch out nibs! I'd like a stub and a finer size

* Supporting a small production company

* Lightweight pen

* Beautiful blue flake style

However, if I get a Platinum now I can save up for a possible custom Edison job?? I don't know!

I'll come up with something eventually.

Just to be a bit contrary. Take a look at a Gateway Belmont. Feels great in the hand, holds a ton of ink.

About same price as an m200. Once you write with one you will want another. They are great writers.

The Lamy 2000 is always a great choice for just about any application \ usage imho.

Does anyone have any experience with a Pilot Custom Heritage 91? I just spied this pen on Amazon for a cool 85 bucks. I found an affordable 3776 too.

Does anyone have any experience with a Pilot Custom Heritage 91? I just spied this pen on Amazon for a cool 85 bucks. I found an affordable 3776 too.

Either is a wonderful pen (the Pilot 74 is virtually the same as the 91, just with classic cigar shape rather than flattened ends). The 91 can fit the large con-70, the Platinum 3776 Century has the slip n seal cap (my longest test with a slip and seal cap is now four months left capped, wrote without hesitation or skipping immediately). The 91 is a little more stealth, the 3776 in a beautiful Chartres Blue or Bourgogne red is a little more flamboyant.