The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Black Ink: The Cheaper The Better?

ink black price pelikan caran dache

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#41 Ink Stained Wretch

Ink Stained Wretch

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 10:38

..., I do agree that Pelikan Black is a heck of a value.

It's a good enough black ink, fairly water resistant, but it can write dry, IME. I have quite a bit of Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black ink.

My main black ink is Noodler's Black. For economy's sake I mix it with the above named Pelikan Black and some black ink that's watery. I am in the process of finishing up the Visconti Black for that mixture and will go on to some other watery ink soon.

I have to say that I do not agree with the OP's assessment of the cheapest black ink being the best. In some cases the same ink is cheap or pricey depending on where you are. Also, if you want archival and/or totally waterproof or bulletproof ink that makes the choice more complicated.

I once got a bunch of black ink that turned out to be carbon black ink, with carbon particles in it. I hadn't known it was that when I bought it. I never put it in a fountain pen. While I was weighing the risks of such particle-based ink in my pens I opened a bottle up, and the smell of burning rubber tires  :sick:  that came out of that bottle convinced me that it was not an ink I would want to use. I sent it back. This stuff was amazingly cheap, probably the cheapest black ink I have ever bought, so it pained me to have to reject it.

In the end, of course, it's all mostly subjective and up to what we personally prefer.

I'll throw in a gratuitous shot here and say that IMO Quink Black is only a gray ink.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!
ink stained wretch filling inkwell

Sponsored Content

#42 TSherbs

TSherbs

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,712 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 13:01

...I'll throw in a gratuitous shot here and say that IMO Quink Black is only a gray ink.

haha

well, you hit the mark even with this toss over the shoulder

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ink, black, price, pelikan, caran dache

Sponsored Content

|