Dissapointing Pilot 78G Broad Italic Nib

jctsoares

Please excuse me if there's already a topic on the 78g. I did a search here but didn't find anything on this pen ... after being very satisfied with the cheap Vpen I decided to upgrade to a 78g broad because I like italics and stubs. I have two Osmiroid pens, one left footed oblique and an italic and I also have a Jinhao that I grinded myself to an oblique and I have a Super5 0.5 stub so I'm used to stubs and italics etc. and recently I bought a TWSBI 1.1 stub which I haven't tried yet. Now this 78g broad is really disappointing because it writes dry and skips and the feed doesn't seem to keep up. I inked it up with a Pilot cartridge that came with the pen. After a while I tried pushing the nibs a bit apart to make it wetter but didn't really help and I'm afraid to over do it. Then I disassembled the section, feed and nib and rinsed it because I thought it could have some residues from manufacturing process. When I reassembled the pen it looked better flowing at first but started skipping again after a while. The tines look really close at the tip and I have to press like a ballpoint to make it write well without skipping. Any tips? Should I push the tines more apart? Any other 78g broad owners with this problem? How did you solve it?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jctsoares

• dms525

• T4TEXAS

• Witsius

Top Posters In This Topic

I have several 78G's with B and BB nibs. Mine have all tended to be dry writers, but, since I use them for italic script, I am not writing super fast and the drier flow yields better hairlines. Not a problem at all.

David

I use it for normal daily writing ... I pressed the nib a bit more and it has become wetter but still very sensitive to the right position causing some skipping but writing smoother when I manage to find its sweet spot. The Osmiroid pens are a lot more forgiving even with sharper edges.

Had one for over a year. Always inked with no problems.

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

My 78g wouldn't write at all out of the box. I opened the tines until it wrote well. I had to open them further than I have on any other pen, but it writes wonderfully now. Pilot's steel nibs are pretty stiff. I found it most effective to open the tines on my 78G with a shim. The gap at the tipping is now probably about .003" or so.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy. Hamlet, 1.5.167-168

Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone.

Besides the very closed tines, I think I found a second culprit ... fat and acid from my hand on the paper. I was testing on a page in a notebook and in the beginning it wrote badly, fiddling with tines etc. By the end of the page still having problems ... until I turned to the next page. It suddenly started to write well, wet and smooth even though it's not a gusher. So my conclusion is that the nib is also very sensitive to sweat from hands on paper. So I used a loose paper under my hand and could write several pages without any problem. Now I know I have to test on several clean paper in the future before taking (possibly wrong) conclusions ... tnx for your help.

Edited by jctsoares

Good observation. I'm working on my handwriting and also teaching myself a basic italic script. Living in the tropics of Houston I notice I sometimes drag sweat across the paper not noticed by me but my pen certainly does. I've started keeping a cloth or another sheet of paper under my writing hand and inching it along as I progress. Not conducive to speed but at this point It is about practice.

Love all, trust a few, do harm to none. Shakespeare

Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone.

Besides the very closed tines, I think I found a second culprit ... fat and acid from my hand on the paper. I was testing on a page in a notebook and in the beginning it wrote badly, fiddling with tines etc. By the end of the page still having problems ... until I turned to the next page. It suddenly started to write well, wet and smooth even though it's not a gusher. So my conclusion is that the nib is also very sensitive to sweat from hands on paper. So I used a loose paper under my hand and could write several pages without any problem. Now I know I have to test on several clean paper in the future before taking (possibly wrong) conclusions ... tnx for your help.

Try adjusting your hand position so only your 4th and 5th fingernails touch the paper. It takes a little practice but I think it's worth it. See thread below for details. The main benefit of this is that it gives you better control over your writing but a nice side benefit is that you are not smearing your hand oils all over the paper as you write. Good luck!

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/306675-proper-pen-holding-position/