A Fountain Pen For A Medical Doctor

raducan

In my experience, doctors sometimes have no choice but to write standing up - either onto a table or at a chest-height counter top - as well as sitting at a table, usually completing notes at speed. The sweet spot of a fountain pen such as the VP or Decimo is often critical, and the hand position when one is standing is radically different from when one is seated. That said, the instant one-handed readiness of such a click-top pen is a plus.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fabienne

• the_gasman

• mmg122

• rohit1974

I'd go for something very practical, but not a fountain pen. The last thing a doc needs is some fiddly, leaky relic which runs out of ink and is a burden to use. I would just find a great click top ballpoint for a doc's everyday use, and save the fancy schmancy stuffs for someone else. I also suspect that when docs get home, the last thing they do is write in their journals, compose long emotional poems, draw little pictures, or write thank you notes. In short, I don't think this is the class of people who are going to be using fountain pens with the same zest as we are. My dad was a surgeon. When he came home from work, he would have a drink, watch TV with us and just chill out from a hard day of sick folks.

Edited by Fabienne

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

As a patient, I would probably prefer my doc using something with the rod of Asclepius instead of a caduceus (although caduceus does look better).

I presume the rod of Asclepius would be used as clipius.

Sorry, I'll get my coat. :blush:

David.

I am planning to buy a fountain pen for my boy friend

who is an oncologist working in a regional hospital

Raducan,

You need to be extremely careful -- if using a good quality fountain pen makes your boyfriend's handwriting legible, he may have his licence to practise medicine revoked!

We can't allow just anyone to read about the arcane mysteries that we practise. Whatever next?!? Folk might even turn to Google!

Cheers,

David.

Don't get me started on the rod of Asclepius vs. the caduceus of Mercury. The rod IS the symbol of medicine, the caduceus is indeed better looking BUT it's all about Mercury who had scant things to do with medicine. Of all the stupid things we do regarding medicine, I find that one unlikely spot in our system gets it right almost every time: private ambulance companies invariably use the rod of Asclepius and not the caduceus.

For all you mythology freaks, read the story of Asclepius.

VP is a nice pen, although I find it quite polarising. My boyfriend hates the design and I am sure he wouldn't be happy with the pen - therefore he wouldn't use it on a daily basis. If your boyfriend doesn't use fountain pens very often and is would be concerned about their design, try to find something which suits his taste. It would encourage him to actually write with the pen.

I find Visconti's basic caps quite practical. These are snap-on caps with a magnet in it. They stay securely on the pen, but it is very easy to remove them and to put them back on. I never forget to cap my pen, because I love this 'snap' so much ;)

Parker Premier is a nice pen and it definitely looks representative. Most of folks generally prefer the older Parkers and have some kind of bad attitude towards the Premier, but I have used three of them recently (one is in my regular rotation) and they are very pleasant IMHO. They produce a relatively thin line (not Japanese, though), so are perfectly suitable for someone who may have cramped handwriting.

I'd go for something very practical, but not a fountain pen. The last thing a doc needs is some fiddly, leaky relic which runs out of ink and is a burden to use. I would just find a great click top ballpoint for a doc's everyday use, and save the fancy schmancy stuffs for someone else. I also suspect that when docs get home, the last thing they do is write in their journals, compose long emotional poems, draw little pictures, or write thank you notes. In short, I don't think this is the class of people who are going to be using fountain pens with the same zest as we are. My dad was a surgeon. When he came home from work, he would have a drink, watch TV with us and just chill out from a hard day of sick folks.

Agreed and disagreed.

For medical functions, you are right that a ballpoint would be better instead of a fountain pen unless doctor practices in the same clinic all day. For hospital work, it's a no brainer really.

As for physician's activities after work, totally disagreed. Many physicians write and would appreciate a fountain pen to do so, like anyone else from another occupation. Maybe not surgeons, but surgeons are another breed :P

Yes, surgeons never write thank-you notes. :lol: Just joking.

I remember, way back in the 1980s when I was a medical student, one of the surgical consultants carried a fancy pair of solid gold pens in his waistcoat pocket one was a biro or a pencil and one was a fountain pen- he mainly used the fountain pen and I remember that he told us that someones gall bladder paid for his gold pen set. Trouble is I cannot remember what they were- I think they were most likely Parkers. Definitely a bit too flash though- personally I am happy to use pretty much any of mine vintage/ modern but generally pull off caps are more user friendly than screw caps I find.

The Onoto Doctor's pen, with the Rod of Ascleius rather than the [inappropriate] caduceus.

http://www.onoto.com/images/product-images/dr-pen-main-780x467.jpg

The pen is a deep, rich claret colour. It looks magnificent.

I don't own one but I do have two different Onoto fountain pens: a Magna Classic and a Dickens Chuzzlewit. I have both the gold-plated steel and 18K gold nibs for each. The steel nibs are good but the gold gives a lovely springiness which makes the writing experience quite wonderful. If you decide to go for one of these, contact Onoto by email or telephone -- there is a fair chance that the delightful owner, James Boddy, will reply personally.

There, I am capable of a sensible contribution to the thread, unlike my two earlier posts.

Cheers,

David.

A higher class of scribble.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Unlike nearly all other pens, the Pilot Vanishing Point has the clip at the same end as the nib instead of the opposite end. Personally, I find that very uncomfortable. Your boyfriend may or may not feel the same way.

Agree with above. As a doctor working in oncology agree with the metal pen and ability to clean it with hand rub when required. Also I would suggest a silver pen as it is inherently antibacterial in nature.

I thought it was copper pens that are antibacterial. Have not heard that silver pens are antibacterial.

Agree with many posters who are recommending the VP/Decimo. I am also a physician who writes voluminous notes and I really appreciate the convenience of the Decimo...also it's metallic body which is easy to sanitize. As far as ink capacity goes, I just carry a spare cartridge in my pocket.

I thought it was copper pens that are antibacterial. Have not heard that silver pens are antibacterial.

Copper and its alloys, such as Bronze and Brass are inherently antimicrobial, including when used as surface materials or finishes. Silver is also antimicrobial, especially in the form of nano particles. In both cases, it is the copper and silver ions that penetrate bacteria and other microbes and disrupt their internal molecular pathways. In fact, most bacteria are eradicated on a copper or copper alloy surface within 90 to 120 minutes.

Edited by kapanak

I wonder if HMRC (thats the taxman in the UK or rather Her Majestys Revenue&Taxes) would allow a silver/ rolled gold etc pen as a legitimate personal expense beacause of its anti-bacterial properties, that would be a decent discount !- off to look at some now.

Agree with many posters who are recommending the VP/Decimo. I am also a physician who writes voluminous notes and I really appreciate the convenience of the Decimo...also it's metallic body which is easy to sanitize. As far as ink capacity goes, I just carry a spare cartridge in my pocket.

Copper and its alloys, such as Bronze and Brass are inherently antimicrobial, including when used as surface materials or finishes. Silver is also antimicrobial, especially in the form of nano particles. In both cases, it is the copper ions that penetrate bacteria and other microbes and disrupt their internal molecular pathways. In fact, most bacteria are eradicated on a copper or copper alloy surface within 90 to 120 minutes.

Okay did not know about copper. thanks for the input

I'm a neurologist and I use the VP everyday. I rotate in my favorite pens when I'm in clinic, but for the hospital, the VP is perfect. I've noticed many other physicians carrying the VP as well.

Copper and its alloys, such as Bronze and Brass are inherently antimicrobial, including when used as surface materials or finishes. Silver is also antimicrobial, especially in the form of nano particles. In both cases, it is the copper ions that penetrate bacteria and other microbes and disrupt their internal molecular pathways. In fact, most bacteria are eradicated on a copper or copper alloy surface within 90 to 120 minutes.

Thanks so much! Appreciate the info.

Antimicrobial options: you can get an all copper or all brass pen from either Karas Kustoms or Tactile Turn. Both shops make all metal machined pens that look very nice. They should be easy to keep clean. Karas Kustoms also makes ballpoints and rollerballs, so you could get him a full set for every occasion.

Vanishing point options: VPs are pretty cool, but most are definitely below the $200 mark that you set as your minimum. If you want to get a VP, maybe consider one that's a bit more special? There are some raden VPs that are decorated with abalone shell and they're gorgeous. They run $300-$700, depending on design. They're both practical with the click mechanism and show-stoppers.

Aurora Optima Nero Perla M | Eversharp Skyline Blue Flexible F | Franklin-Christoph 31 Purpurae Fine SIG | Franklin-Christoph 45 IPO Coco Pearl Medium Stub | Franklin-Christoph 45 Antique Glass MCI | Franklin-Christoph Pocket 66 Italian Ice MCI | Lamy 2000 F | Lamy 2000 M | Lamy Studio Violet Steel F | Lamy Studio Wild Rubin 14k FM (Custom Ground) | Montblanc Meisterstuck Mozart Solitaire Doue Sterling Silver 925 M | Namiki Vanishing Point Faceted M | Parker Duofold Senior Green Stripe (1941 - 1948) Flexible F | Parker Vacumatic Junior Green F | Pelikan M200 Traditional Black F | Pelikan M215 Rings F | Pelikan M400 White Tortoise EF | Pilot CH 92 Blue FM | Pilot CH 92 Clear M | Pilot Decimo Violet F | Pilot Metropolitan Black Crocodile F | Pilot Metropolitan Silver M | Pilot Vanishing Point Matte Black B Architect | Pilot Vanishing Point Raden Water Surface F | Platinum Century 3776 Chartres Blue SF | Sailor Pro Gear Imperial Black H-M | Sailor Sapporo Violet H-FM | TWSBI Eco Black M | TWSBI Eco Clear F | TWSBI Vac 700 0.7 CI (Custom Ground)

A few months back, I was with my Mother as she was being admitted to the hospital, and her doctor, an elderly cardiologist sat with some questions in her hospital room, taking notes in his pad. After we went through the procedures and what he anticipated doing, he asked if we had any questions, and mine was "Yes, what type of fountain pen is that which you are using".

It led to a pleasant discussion as he thought might be the only doctor still taking notes, etc., and on my part, seeing someone other than myself actually using a FP at work was unusual. I pulled out a Pilot Falcon I was using and gave it to him as a gift, 1) as appreciation for the care he was giving my mother, and 2) that I was thrilled to see someone still using a pen and notes, rather than filling in forms on the computer.

BTW his pen was a Schaeffer, rather large size.