A Fountain Pen For A Medical Doctor

raducan

I am planning to buy a fountain pen for my boy friend

who is an oncologist working in a regional hospital

so I would like to buy him a fountain pen which is light weighted, durable and suitable for daily writing

Price range 200-800USD

Please give me some suggestion

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fabienne

• the_gasman

• mmg122

• rohit1974

Delta Hippocratica is a nice pen. I think Montegrappa also makes a fountain pen with a caduceus design. If I remember correctly it is from the Fortuna collection. I am sure there are others but can't think of them offhand at the moment.

David

For so long as one hundred men remain alive,we shall never under any conditions submit to the

domination of the English. It is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but only for liberty, which

no good man will consent to lose but with his life.

Delta Hippocratica is a nice pen. I think Montegrappa also makes a fountain pen with a caduceus design. If I remember correctly it is from the Fortuna collection. I am sure there are others but can't think of them offhand at the moment.

https://www.penchalet.com/blog/montegrappa-fortuna-caduceus-pen/

David

As a patient, I would probably prefer my doc using something with the rod of Asclepius instead of a caduceus (although caduceus does look better).

Edited by aeba

You do not have a right to post. You do not have a right to a lawyer. Do you understands these rights you do not have?

Kaweco Supra (titanium B), Al-Sport (steel BB).

Parker: Sonnet (dimonite); Frontier GT; 51 (gray); Vacumatic (amber).

Pelikan: m600 (BB); Rotring ArtPen (1,9mm); Rotring Rive; Cult Pens Mini (the original silver version), Waterman Carene (ultramarine F)

If he doesn't write a lot every day maybe you should look into a Pilot Vanishing Point. The click open/close mechanism makes the pen an ideal choice for one handed operation as there is no cap to unscrew. The Decimo is the lighter model.

I seem to recommend this all the time whenever someone inquires about a true workers pen. The Pilot Vanishing Point. They write beautifully, no cap to mess around with, durable, and reasonably attractive,

The classical fountain pens are beautiful, but in my opinion is impractical for use away from a desk.

Have to agree with others on the VP as good pen for this application. Not fancy in an ornate sense but it gets the job done. Plus, the cartridges hold a lot of ink

vs. the converter. Good luck.

Pat Barnes a.k.a. billz

Parker 51. I get a black pen with a gold cap or a blue pen with a Sterling silver cap and a medium stub nib. Easily within your price range.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

raducan,

I tend to agree with the Parker 51 suggestion generally, but as I do not know what his work entails, it can be helpful if more details are furnished.

Say for instance, if he runs around a lot and requires writing on the run, a Pilot Vanishing Point could be just the ticket, no need to mess with the removable cap. But if he stays in the office pretty much all the time, the choice would be much wider, and it also depends on how he uses the pen too. Does he jot down notes occasionally leaving the pen uncapped? If so, a pen with a nib that does not dry up too easily would be preferable.

Also, would he like the "discard and replace" convenience of ink cartridges, or likes to fill from a bottle? A hooded nib pen like the 51 can only fill from a bottle, but can be left uncapped for extended periods and withstand a bit of heavy-handedness as well. That is if used examples are not out of the question, as the 51 has been out of production for a long time, but good examples can be found readily and can be repaired easily too.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

I am also a medical professional and use a Pilot Vanishing Point every day. I do quite a bit of writing ( it's not all EMR's! ) and find this to be practical and also flies under the radar , so to speak. I'm not sure patients would appreciate seeing their oncologist whip out a fancy fountain pen but I could be wrong.

If he does a lot of writing daily at work a capped fountain pen becomes rather cumbersome and in a medical environment things can happen that require quick writing.

The only drawback with the VP is it's limited ink capacity. I have found that using a cartridge seems to hold the most ink and I just refill it with what ever color suits my mood for the day. It's one more step in my "getting ready for the day" routine but one that I find enjoyable. I do find I need to refill it daily though.

One other suggestion: If you do get him a pen that requires frequent refills, have him bring home a box of the nitrile exam gloves to avoid getting his fingers stained. While I do not personally mind having ink on my fingers/hands, I have had some strange looks from patients while I'm attending to them that have required an explanation. It's just easier not to have to go into that.

Raducan- my oncologist and the neurosurgeon and the neurologist, all 3 of them carry the Pilot VP with them at work. And I have seen plenty of doctors in all the other services carrying them too. I have only seen the Psychiatrists carry nice MB pens or large Pelikan pens at work.

I'd agree with the Pilot VP theme here and perhaps advocate a fine nib to allow cramming lots of writing onto scraps of paper and avoiding bleed through on the standard issue poor quality work paper.

My recommendations:

Lamy 2000

Bexley Poseidon Magnum II

That is unless this is more of a status thing, then you might be interested in a Mont Blanc 146 or 149.

My only concern with a Pilot Vanishing Point is that it is not a lightweight pen. I also find the ink capacity to be smaller than many of my other pens, but my VPs always last the day. However, the ease of use and convenience to make this a very good "work pen."

I would also ask if your boyfriend is familiar with fountain pens and already has any preferences? That would help us out with some better suggestions. Your price range covers a great selection of pens, and we can narrow down some results if we have some additional information.

Buzz

Yeah definitely the Pilot VP or the Decimo like some others said. It's a metal pen, so it can be safely and easily sanitized in case something gets on it, and can be easily deployed with a one-hand click rather than a two-hand uncapping motion.

My only concern with a Pilot Vanishing Point is that it is not a lightweight pen.

This is why the Decimo would be a better choice:

Vanishing Point with empty converter: 1.1 oz (~30 g)

Decimo with empty converter: 0.6 oz (~18 g)

Check out this comparison thread:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/222158-pilot-vanishing-point-vs-pilot-decimo/

Yeah definitely the Pilot VP or the Decimo like some others said. It's a metal pen, so it can be safely and easily sanitized in case something gets on it, and can be easily deployed with a one-hand click rather than a two-hand uncapping motion.

Agree with above. As a doctor working in oncology agree with the metal pen and ability to clean it with hand rub when required. Also I would suggest a silver pen as it is inherently antibacterial in nature.

Take a good look at how he writes now. If he uses a grip where he wraps his thumb around the front( and I have seen lots of people who do) he will hate the VP. If he does a Pelikan M200 or M250 can take a lot of banging around for a lot of years. And they are great writers that hold a fair amount of ink.