Nakaya Price Hike On Ishime-Kanshitsu

mchenart

Algester recently posted the thread 'Effective July 1 Nakaya Price Bump' on this forum a few days ago. When I saw the price hike on the Ishime Kanshitsu Midori (green) pen, I was flabbergasted. It will go from 65,000 yen to 120,000 on July 1. My immediate reaction was 'WHY?'. Was it because the people at Nakaya felt the pen had been underpriced for all these years, or was it because the labour cost in producing one of these pens had risen drastically? Certainly, the material cost for green urushi could not have affected the production cost in such an incredible way.

And yes, I just sold my Ishime Kanshitsu Midori only a month or so ago.

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae33/mchenart/DSCF0493_zpsrhrlhqsn.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mchenart

• Cryptos

• HollyGolightly

• Mulrich

Goodness, do we know if the increase in price will be across the board or just particular models/finishes? O___O I wanted a Nakaya at some point but I may not ever get my shot if the increase jumps so significantly.

- The poster formerly known as HollyGolightly

Ishime Nuri has 100% increase thats the largest as provided in both the JP and EN price list changes the others are like 10-20% increase

possibly it's due to the price hike on Urushi... after all the "stone" like finish are like cracked up urushi layered ever so slowly to achieve the finish

if it's true its based on the Urushi price hike then other Urushi users would also be affected

Sytlo-art, Danitrio, Ohashido should have increased prices if it is the trend

sadly I barely know the profile and sites of these companies so... yeah...

on the new light Dorsal fins ARE BACK! v1 and v2 can be ordered

Edited by Algester

While I like the unique Ishime finish on the Nakaya pen, I just could not understand the reason behind such a massive price jump.

@mchenart, if you don't mind me asking, why did you sell your ishime kanshitsu?

I had had the pen for a couple years before deciding to sell it, mainly because I was going to buy another expensive pen, and partly because of the light weight of the Nakaya. At 21 g, it was just a tad too light for my preference. So I had written Nakaya Japan to see if any metal sleeve could be added to the converter to make the pen heavier, but the answer was 'no'.

Which model weighs only 21g? I note from nibs.com that the Piccolo is 22g. Just curious. If I went down this path I would be looking at a long cigar or similar.

The Ishime-Kanshitsu Midori weighs 21 g. Of course, those with clips will be heavier.

More people are buying good chinese pens, so to make an even bigger distinction between the Chinese and the Japanese could be a good tactic to increase the profit.

Edited by Trom

Thank you for those links Mulrich! I've been wanting a Nakaya, is this the universe's way of telling me to spend spend spend and pull the trigger?

I am surprised with the 'special color' price increase. Orange is a special color?

I am surprised with the 'special color' price increase. Orange is a special color?

I didn't notice that! Interesting. I'm wanting Toki-Iro but it's not even listed anymore so I better get my rear in gear. :excl:

Which model weighs only 21g? I note from nibs.com that the Piccolo is 22g. Just curious. If I went down this path I would be looking at a long cigar or similar.

One of my Portable cigar pens is 20 g unposted and the other is 17 g unposted and filled with ink with a converter installed. A Pilot Capless Decimo is 21 g filled with ink with a Con-20 installed. Those three are my heaviest pens. Most of my pens weigh around 9-12 g uncapped and filled with ink. Maybe you could up the weight with an equilibrium model and filling it with weights.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Actually I was using the nibs.com page as a reference. According to that the lightest Nakaya is the Piccolo at 22g including the cap but not inked. <shrugs>

Algester recently posted the thread 'Effective July 1 Nakaya Price Bump' on this forum a few days ago. When I saw the price hike on the Ishime Kanshitsu Midori (green) pen, I was flabbergasted. It will go from 65,000 yen to 120,000 on July 1. My immediate reaction was 'WHY?'. Was it because the people at Nakaya felt the pen had been underpriced for all these years, or was it because the labour cost in producing one of these pens had risen drastically? Certainly, the material cost for green urushi could not have affected the production cost in such an incredible way.

I had been ogling some Nakayas on nibs.com and always wondered why the Ishime pens were not originally priced higher. There seems to be more labor involved than the standard urushi pens. That being said, I would never imagine a price hike of nearly 100% - perhaps more in the ballpark of 20%. I'm hoping to get one before the price increase!

And the shu unpolished is going for $50 more than the shu polished... :huh:

Urushiphile

Most prices aren't going up by nearly that much; in fact the price jump mentioned in this thread is the largest.

Announcement

http://www.nakaya.org/en/price_revision.aspx

New price list

http://www.nakaya.org/en/price_revision_list_en.pdf

Is this from Nakaya's own site? Asking because the long cigar midori ishime appears to be $100 cheaper than at the US seller. A significant difference.

Actually I was using the nibs.com page as a reference. According to that the lightest Nakaya is the Piccolo at 22g including the cap but not inked. <shrugs>

Weight may vary with Nakaya pens because they are handmade. That's why two of my same model pens are 3 g different in weight

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

I had been ogling some Nakayas on nibs.com and always wondered why the Ishime pens were not originally priced higher. There seems to be more labor involved than the standard urushi pens. That being said, I would never imagine a price hike of nearly 100% - perhaps more in the ballpark of 20%. I'm hoping to get one before the price increase!

Yes, the finish does look it may require a lot of skill and labour to achieve. But then, I would have thought that that point had already been figured in their pricing. Speaking of which, the green Ishime-Kanshitsu was at one point priced much lower on their Japanese site than on nibs.com's. So perhaps Nakaya was pressured into making the drastic price adjustment.

Edited by mchenart