Nakaya: It's Not Easy Being Green

whichwatch

"It's not easy being green.

It seems you blend in with so many other ordinary things.

And people tend to pass you over 'cause you're not

standing out like flashy sparkles in the water

or stars in the sky"

lyrics by Joe Raposo

Maybe it's not easy. But as far as not standing out - well, I don't know about that.

Nakaya discontinued the Ao Tamenuri finish a while back, apparently due to lack of reproduceability. I had never actually seen one and was only able to acquire one after they were discontinued. The beauty of the color blew me away. I've had eight or so Nakayas, but my first Ao really stood out.

I have just managed to luck into Ao number two. Yes, I see there is a slight color variation - even within the smooth area just above the cap threads on the Naka-ai on the right. But isn't that part of the beauty of these pens with their hand applied urushi finish? Click on the picture to enlarge it and the variation will show up better.

Makes me wonder what I missed in never (yet) owning the also discontinued Shiro Tamenuri!

http://www.fototime.com/%7BF06FBA04-D566-4EC2-B039-F2A2F82017F8%7D/origpict/n1.JPG

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• whichwatch

• dms525

• Cryptos

• Drcollector

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations! Those are definitely the most handsome specimens of Ao-tame pens I have seen. The green is significantly darker. Use them in good health!

David

Congratulations! Those are definitely the most handsome specimens of Ao-tame pens I have seen. The green is significantly darker. Use them in good health!

David

Thanks very much David.

Man! When I first started looking at Nakaya - and developed a persistent drool, but I digress - the Ao-tamenuri was my favourite. I couldn't afford anythign at the time and was gutted when it was discontinued before I had the chance to grab one. Now they say the ishime midori is going to double in price :yikes: and I have to scramble the remaining brain cells to determine if I want to drop $650 in the month of June. I don't like being forced to make such choice, and the ishime may go the way of the Ao-tamenuri for me, alas. :(

Brother (or sister), I feel your pain!

I had read a lot about Nakayas and first saw them a few years ago at John Mottishaw's table at the LA Pen Show. I spent hours at their table, trying to learn the different finishes and trying all the nibs. The pen I really wanted was a Dorsal Fin I in Ishime Kanshitsu, but I wasn't ready to spend $1300. My feeling for that pen stuck with me even though it was beyond reach.

Several years and 6 or 7 Nakayas later, I was able to pick up a pre-owned Neo Standard in Ishime Kanshitsu at a price I found to be a bit more reasonable. I showed it to a friend who said "that's the best feeling thing I've held in my hand except a breast".

So if you like the Ishime finish, I certainly wouldn't have anything to say to discourage you from adding one to your collection.

Edited by whichwatch

Love the variation in the finishes. It's what gives each Nakaya its own personality. Shiro-tame was my favorite for the Portable/Piccolo and I'm hoping it makes a comeback!

Urushiphile