Vintage Sheaffer Fountain Pen - How To Fill ?

clovisrod

Hi

Could anyone tell me how to fill the pen on the pictures ? I've tried the normal cartriges but they didi not fit.

Thanks

post-25269-0-11572000-1464351506_thumb.jpg

post-25269-0-81955900-1464351515_thumb.jpg

post-25269-0-50968700-1464351531_thumb.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wxman2000

• petercli

• RMN

• clovisrod

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It looks like a touchdown filler, but it's missing the sac that the metal tube covers.

Wxman is correct.

This is a touchdown filler.

There should be a bladder/sac in that metal thing. That should go over the section.

Then, at the end of the barrel you should be able to unscrew another metal tube.

You put the assembled pen with the nib in the inkpot. Then draw back that tube at the end of the barrel gently and bring it down again with force and speed. This will push the air out of the sac. than the sac will refill again as the air compression levels out. That way the sac will draw in ink.

I will transfer this topic to the Sheaffer forum. Perhaps the Sheaffer cracks will have some additions to my story here. (actually was done while I was typing this... :) )

Probably it will be wise to send the pen to someone who knows how to place the sac. Alas you profile doesn't show where you are located.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. Can't really tell from the pictures but there should be a part that when unscrewed allows you to pull out a fat metal or plastic tube. Since it's obvious someone has been in the pen to remove the sac, make sure the other pieces parts are there.

It seems to be a blue Imperial II, a touchdown filler.

Perhaps, you only need a new sac to install.

Or, additional new O ring to seal the pressure mechanism.

Good luck!

Your pen is a Sheaffer touchdown Imperial. It is missing the sac, and needs to be restored, but it looks like the important parts are all there. When I do these, I replace the 0-ring that seals the back end of the pen, around the metal touchdown tube.

RMN was partially right. An Imperial is a pneumatic filler. When you push the tube down into the barrel the air in the barrel is compressed and the sac squeezed. At the end of the stroke the notch at the end of the TD tube slides past the 0-ring, the pressurized air is released, the sac expands, ink flows into the pen. One or two strokes are all that is needed to fill the pen. They're nice pens, and usually comfortable, reliable writers.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Ron Z,

I just bought a Sheaffer Imperial too (See picture)It is NOS, but I think the sac is messed up because I can't seem to fill it with ink .This is my first touchdown , and I am not sure how to fill the pen. Previous post says : Then draw back that tube at the end of the barrel gently and bring it down again with force and speed <-- is there a youtube demo showing this process ?

How hard is it to replace the rubber sac ?

If it's complicated, do you recommend someone to service the pen ? Don't want to spend a lot .

Thanks, Peter

post-24118-0-08765100-1464462395_thumb.jpg

Edited by petercli

I recently got a NOS imperial, and though I've never worked on pens, I was able to easily repair it. It really was not hard at all and parts were only a few dollars.

I bought the kit from pendemonium, they have kits with both the sac and the o-ring for the different types. There are two types of imperial sac sizes if I remember right, but their website described the differences.