The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Wrong Ink Type Flushing

flushing cleaning restoration

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Greenepen

Greenepen

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze+

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 May 2016 - 18:25

Hello y'all,

A friend of mine bought a desk at a local flea market and found a Pilot Metropolitan M nib in the desk drawer. Knowing I enjoy pens he passed it on to me.  It seems that the previous owner filled the converter with some sort of cheap gel ink and the feeder and nib are clogged.  I have soaked in water and soap, but seems the ink has hardened and will not come loose.  I flossed the nib but the feeder is still clogged.  Any ideas?

Thank you for all replies.

Sponsored Content

#2 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,530 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 May 2016 - 20:03

10% ammonia solution
1 part clear non-sudsy ammonia : 9 parts plain water

Next after than is a technical pen cleaner.

Although given the bad choice of ink, you may have to pull the feed/nib out of the section to physically clean the section and feed.

Edited by ac12, 27 May 2016 - 03:37.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

#3 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,583 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 20:07

You do wonder what people are thinking, if they are thinking at all.  A friend, who should have known better, handed a pen to me to repair because it wouldn't fill.  I pulled the section and found the sac to be nice and pliable - springy in fact because it still had ink in it, but the feed was clogged.  He had used India ink because it was all that he could find and he was in a hurry. 

Koh-I-Noor Rapido Eze is a great pen cleaner, but even that may not be enough to get into the fine ink channels of the feed.  You may need to pull the nib and feed (no er on the end) to remove all of the gunk.  An ultrasonic, and maybe a piece of brass shim stock will help to clear the fine ink channels. 

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#4 Sasha Royale

Sasha Royale

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 May 2016 - 21:00

Good project, if you want something to do.  However, if you just want a writing fountain pen, Pilot Met on Ebay about $17 .  There are better ways to get a headache. 

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn. 
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen: 
Verweile doch, du bist so schön ! 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: flushing, cleaning, restoration

Sponsored Content

|