The Usual Question: Is 4001 Blue-Black Iron Gall?

sciumbasci

I searched the old posts regarding Pelikan 4001 blue black: some say it isn't IG, others say it's quite water resistant, some say it has a very low IG content

Pelikan official site, in Italian, lists the 4001 as document proof ink, along with Scribtol and Fount India, due to it being an iron gall ink.

Is there any way I can test it myself?

And no, mailing them is not an option. Most of the times they just don't even care to reply (such as Staedtler)

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lapis

• sciumbasci

• The Good Captain

• Runnin_Ute

Top Posters In This Topic

I think "officially" it isn't, but have heard that there is a low IG content. It is actually one of my favorite blue blacks. I know that there is something in it that caused Pelikan to stop importing into the US rather than change the formulation. Not sure what, but....could it have something to do with whether it is or not? I don't know. Either way I don't care to much. I actually have it in an Esterbrook LJ right now.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Three years ago, I asked Pelikan in Hanover whether or not their 4001 blue-black had any iron-gall in it. They said "No, it does not have any iron.gall in it, but it did have iron-gall in it up to about 25 years ago.".

However, a look at this site of theirs (issued around the end of 2015) says, yes, this ink contains iron gall.

Judging by its properties as a pretty permanent ink in the sense of being quite "waterproof", I would say that that is true. That is IMO also something which a lot of our friends here in the forum think and feel too. Ask our Captain!

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

I think I saw a post once of a guy stating that IG inks can be "checked out" by swabbing ammonia (or bleach?) on a writing sample. If no trace can be found of the writing on the paper, then it was not an IG. If it leaves a trace yellowish greyish where pigments used to be, it's indeed IG

Now, since i'm not sure about that, and since I don't play with chemicals because I don't remember chemistry enough to know if it'll react in any way, I'd like to know if someone can confirm what I wrote.

I might just go and buy one bottle of pelikan BlBl just for the sake of the test

Yes, do that. It's not only a good ink but also a relatively inexpensive one.

Mike

Pelikan states that the 4001 blue-black contains a little amount of iron gall in its formulation. They also explains that's the reason this ink changes color over time. I can't understand why this still causes confusion and doubt. Or why their statement needs testing for comprovation.

https://www.pelikan.com/pulse/Pulsar/en_US_INTL.CMS.displayCMS.205950./document-proof-ink

Three years ago, I asked Pelikan in Hanover whether or not their 4001 blue-black had any iron-gall in it. They said "No, it does not have any iron.gall in it, but it did have iron-gall in it up to about 25 years ago.".

However, a look at this site of theirs (issued around the end of 2015) says, yes, this ink contains iron gall.

Judging by its properties as a pretty permanent ink in the sense of being quite "waterproof", I would say that that is true. That is IMO also something which a lot of our friends here in the forum think and feel too. Ask our Captain!

Mike

Oh yes; it's got iron gall in it and it is my favourite ink of all time. Just amazing properties and so nice to use. Thanks for the mention, Mike.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Having this ol' topic back on the table again, maybe you could whip out another bottle (I mean your dried out 62.5-ml thing upon which we read "Ferro-gallic" or so...)

Many thanks

One of my favourite b/b inks, also available in international short carts.

This would probably make Pelikan 4001 blue/black the only iron gall ink available in a cartridge.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Having this ol' topic back on the table again, maybe you could whip out another bottle (I mean your dried out 62.5-ml thing upon which we read "Ferro-gallic" or so...)

Many thanks

Of course!

fpn_1342086936__pelikan_blue-black_ferro

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Wowza !

That bottle is getting bigger every day ! !

Pelikan has finally given a definite answer to this, straight from the horses mouth, ending all speculation. there is a small amount of iron gall content which makes the ink water resistant.

Will it also make it smear proof? Being left handed, most inks tend to smear if I am not absolutely careful, to the point that sometimes I must place a piece of Pepe under my palm to avoid smear ink all over the page