How Do You Restore The Shiny Finish On A Pen?

digitalbrush

Recently came into possession of a Vintage Mabie Todd Blackbird. Beautiful pen with gorgeous line variation! However, I may have been too zealous in my cleaning of the pen and may have taken off some of the finish on the pen body and cap. The pen is a brown color, so you can see the difference where there is finish and where there isn't (not shiny). Can anyone make recommendations on how to restore the shine? Is it some kind of lacquer?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• digitalbrush

• kirchh

• mmg122

• Goudy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like a black hard rubber pen that has been discolored and possibly attacked by exposure to cleaning liquids (hard rubber pens' exteriors should not be exposed to water-based liquids). What did you use to try to clean it? Can you post a picture?

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

Syd Saperstein...FPN Moderator and owner of current Wahl Eversharp Company...has a vintage pen shop called Pensbury Manor where he sells a black dye for restoring black hard rubber pens. The link...http://www.pensburymanor.com/. He also has polishes to restore the original shine.

I venture your original pen was black in color and has oxidized to brown.

Hi guys! Thanks for replying, I was at work and left the pen at home. I used some hot water to clean the pen, and then took a paper towel to rubbing around the top of the pen to remove the gunk between the threads. Apparently it also took off some "brown" stuff which I assume to be some of the finish of the pen. Notice how the pen body is darker in the center and lighter on the top near the threads. The lightness in color is because of me. The pen cap should also be a darker color too, but I guess I used too much hot water from the tap and cleaned too eagerly. So....I guess hot water is not really a good idea for the pen in general.... Attached are some pictures of my dastardly handiwork.

post-130034-0-89916300-1464244698_thumb.jpg

post-130034-0-30618900-1464244708_thumb.jpg

post-130034-0-86075100-1464244717_thumb.jpg

There was no finish on the pen. The black pigment in the hard rubber was loosely bound, likely due to years of exposure to light. Contact with water (hot or cold, doesn't matter) instantly discolors the material by carrying off the black pigment. You've learned one of the fundamental "don'ts" of vintage pen care.

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

If it's any consolation, the damage was probably already done before you acquired the pen, likely by exposure to sunlight. Your cleaning simply removed the oxidised layer. Even a few drops of water can have that effect on badly "sunned" pens that have been lying in storage for years. Hot water is usually not advised for hard rubber, but the temperature of the water may not have been the issue here.

Your options are painting it, sanding it down to expose the black layer beneath (but losing chasing and imprints), or learning to enjoy your pen's new colour.

Here's a thread with more details, including before and after photos of a re-blackened pen.

Edit: Sorry, I was typing while Daniel was answering above, so inadvertantly repeated some of his comments.

Edited by Goudy

http://i.imgur.com/utQ9Ep9.jpg

Do you guys really think this pen was originally black??? That would blow my mind! Although the brown color really does not bother me at all. I was more worried that I may have taken off some kind of water protectant/sealant from the pen body. Didn't realize the material was hard rubber.

Can you tell I'm fairly new to this hobby? :lol:

Would the pen need any kind of sealant or protectant to guard against water? Or is it good as is?

Also, the nib needs some slight tuning and there is a crack in it near the vent hole. I'm very new to the hobby, and was wondering who the recommended nibmeister would be to go to for repairing the crack and tuning of the nib? So far, I have only found Greg Minuskin. Richard Binder doesn't seem to be doing repairs anymore according to his website.

post-130034-0-32274700-1464250364_thumb.jpg

"Do you guys really think this pen was originally black??? That would blow my mind! Although the brown color really does not bother me at all. I was more worried that I may have taken off some kind of water protectant/sealant from the pen body. Didn't realize the material was hard rubber."

Definitely originally black...might be why they called it "Blackbird" (Just kidding!)

"Also, the nib needs some slight tuning and there is a crack in it near the vent hole. I'm very new to the hobby, and was wondering who the recommended nibmeister would be to go to for repairing the crack and tuning of the nib? So far, I have only found Greg Minuskin. Richard Binder doesn't seem to be doing repairs anymore according to his website"

John Mottishaw (@ nibs.com) and Joel Hamilton (@ Vintage Fountain Pens) also fix cracked nibs.

post-36725-0-24167200-1464259571_thumb.jpeg

ouch, don't try to flex that nib, or you will make the crack worse.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

ouch, don't try to flex that nib, or you will make the crack worse.

I KNOW, RIGHT??? I love this pen, and want to keep using it. It writes beautifully! the thought of that tine snapping off frightens me! Question is whether it's better to get it repaired, or just buy another one... Honestly though, I consider it a stroke of luck I got it for the price I did. This model seems surprisingly scarce now that I've looked.