A Lucky Discovery

Cezkaa

Last friday, i asked my greataunt if she had any old pens laying around that she could show me, she told me to look around.

I expected to maybe find one or 2 old watermans...

Oh dear was i wrong, i opened the first box and saw two familiar looking black pens, i picked them up and recognised a certain white star on the top of their cap...

I just found two Montblanc Meisterstück 146, in what seemed like a great condition, then there was a Parker pen with them, quite a peculiar looking one.

Looking a bit more, i finally found 3 Sheaffer's and a Waterman, i showed them to her, explained what they are and seeing my interest and excitment about those, she decided to give me all of them...

http://s5.postimg.org/ebwrxf97r/IMG_0097.jpg

From left to right, Parker, Sheaffer's, Sheaffer's, Waterman and another Sheaffer

http://s5.postimg.org/k90ne8qcn/IMG_0089.jpg

A couple of Meisterstücks

http://s5.postimg.org/ut5zj35gn/IMG_0103.jpg

the Waterman, a CF model i believe

http://s5.postimg.org/ed24d3lnr/IMG_0100.jpg

Sheaffers, top one is a Snorkel, then a PFM it seems on he right and left one is unknown to me

http://s5.postimg.org/55eha53zb/IMG_0098.jpg

The Parker, a 180 ? Anyway it looks gorgeous

After getting home, i examined the pens and began cleaning them, the two MB work flawlessly, one has some blue ink stains on the ink window that im removing but that's about it. They write beautifully and they look unused, after some researches, i would date them around the 80s wich seems to fit with feu my greatuncle age and career at the time, would love inputs on that though.

The Waterman CF works perfectly too, the sheaffer PFM (still unsure about it) writes smoothly, even if its nib has some angle to it wich looks funny however the Snorkel doesn't draw ink and the Parker needs some more cleaning. I've ordered a Sheaffer converter and im thinking about getting a Waterman and Parker ones, we'll see.

I still can't believe how lucky i am, i think i might have become a pen collector now... Of course i will take great care of those and show myself worthy of such awesome pens, they will see some use after sitting for more than 20 years.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cezkaa

• Guardy

• PAKMAN

• zaddick

Top Posters In This Topic

Details on the MontBlancs

http://s5.postimg.org/lmsa9jplz/IMG_0090.jpg

Both ink windows are similar, non striped blueish grey

http://s5.postimg.org/89p56xkrr/IMG_0092.jpghttp://s5.postimg.org/6vswxvw4n/IMG_0096.jpg

18C gold nibs, they are french 146s

http://s5.postimg.org/f3uuivo13/IMG_0094.jpg

Ebonite feeds, one looks split

I'd say they were made in the 70s 80s, maybe a bit later given they are french... Feel free to correct me on this, i'd love to read opinions

Edited by Cezkaa

A great treasure to be handed to you in one day. Glad to see you are so enthusiastic and appreciative.

I think you have the era right on the MB pens.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Indeed, i m quite stunned of having those pens gifted to me, all are interesting in their own way.

Thanks for confirming my thought Zaddick, i think that ive seen some post of yours helping me :)

The unknown Sheaffer looks to be a No-Nonsense, the one to it's right is probably an Imperial vs PFM.

Congrats on a great find!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Well done!

Just so you know - if you want to become a pen collector it won't always be this easy :D

What is it with people finding the most awesome pens left and right, lately? I need to get myself some of that fountain pen luck, too :D

That red Waterman is a particularly stunning pen, by the way, as is that Sheaffer with the inlaid nib - but you're right, every one of those pens is certainly interesting.

Also, I bet there aren't too many people who can rightfully claim that somebody just gave them two MB Meisterstück pens in one day.

Well done!

Just so you know - if you want to become a pen collector it won't always be this easy :D

Thanks, i admit i had it easy, i was considering buying a vintage pen, to get some of that old school style im fond of and Boom, 7 pens... Now im doing my research on those to learn everything i can learn

What is it with people finding the most awesome pens left and right, lately? I need to get myself some of that fountain pen luck, too :D

That red Waterman is a particularly stunning pen, by the way, as is that Sheaffer with the inlaid nib - but you're right, every one of those pens is certainly interesting.

Also, I bet there aren't too many people who can rightfully claim that somebody just gave them two MB Meisterstück pens in one day.

There must be luck in the air these days ^^ wish you to get some of that luck too

I especially love those too, inlaids nibs are very appealing to me

That same morning i ordered a Jinhao 450 because i wanted a pen with that classic shape, few hours laters i have the original, twice, this was just incredibly lucky. I'll add that to my miracles journal haha

There must be luck in the air these days ^^ wish you to get some of that luck too

I especially love those too, inlaids nibs are very appealing to me

That same morning i ordered a Jinhao 450 because i wanted a pen with that classic shape, few hours laters i have the original, twice, this was just incredibly lucky. I'll add that to my miracles journal haha

And yep, inlaid nibs are pretty great.

Well, you can still use that x450 for everything that would be too risky for the MBs - funky inks, FP usage in places where they might be stolen... those little pens can't hold a candle to a proper MB, of course, but I'm a huge fan of them anyway. They're pretty neat. Which is why I have five of them. Long story, that...

And yep, inlaid nibs are pretty great.

Well, you can still use that x450 for everything that would be too risky for the MBs - funky inks, FP usage in places where they might be stolen... those little pens can't hold a candle to a proper MB, of course, but I'm a huge fan of them anyway. They're pretty neat. Which is why I have five of them. Long story, that...

Oh that Jinhao will see some use for sure, i really like their nibs for the pricepoint and i find they make for great workhorses and gifts

If they were available in a finer nib, i would get dozens of them, so i understand you ^^

WOW. "Seek and you shall find, ask and you shall receive"

​It goes to show what I have said all along - lots of good pens still out there without having to rely on Ebay

WOW. "Seek and you shall find, ask and you shall receive"

​It goes to show what I have said all along - lots of good pens still out there without having to rely on Ebay

This quote sounds very true, i almost didnt ask because i was pretty sure she didnt have any, i completely forgot that she had her brother's belongings, he was a quite successful Law man... I provoked my luck in a way, by looking around and asking, i spent enough time waiting for others to guess my wishes

Wow, that's great. I don't have any pens that belonged to a family member.

Does the CF have a converter in it? They can be hard to get and the cartridges aren't made anymore.

Wow, that's great. I don't have any pens that belonged to a family member.

Does the CF have a converter in it? They can be hard to get and the cartridges aren't made anymore.

Sadly no, but there was 2 empty carts with it so im filling those for now and i did spot CF converters in a few places online, i shall buy one soon

Congratulations! Those pens are wonderful by any standard, but because they have family history for you they are even more special.

ron

That is a great find and gift that you received from your greataunt. I hope you give her a nice thank you present.

Yes, you NEED to get a CF converter. There is someone on FPN that sold the CF converters, and he is/was in France.

Or make a bulb converter out of an old cartridge. Do a search on "bulb converter" and you should find the instructions on how to make one. It is not very difficult, in fact I would say it is a simple task.

One thing to be aware of with the CF. From my readings, it seems that those pens were prone to corrosion around the nib area. I suggest you do some research on this.

The Parker 180 you have is NOT a common model. I have 180s and that particular design is one that I've not seen much. Keep me in mind if you ever decide to sell it.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Those are some beautiful pens. Enjoy them, take care of them. They should all last a lifetime with some reasonable care.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain