Noodler's Black Or American Eel Black For Pilot Penmanship?

enlvalencia

Hi, all!

​Just wanted to get your thoughts on this before I go ahead and buy a bottle of ink. I've been using Pilot Penmanship (EF) pens for my law school examinations, because the paper in the bluebooks that we have to write on is really all kinds of awful, and I get feathering and bleedthrough on most other pens (except my Pilot Prera F, but it's a little uncomfortable to write for so long with such a small pen).

Anyway, I am looking for a waterproof and/or bulletproof black ink for use on the bar, and I sort of gravitated towards Noodlers, since I had such a good experience with Bad Belted Kingfisher when I was first getting started in the FP world.

​I have been looking at comparison threads, but I can't seem to figure out which would be better suited for the Pilot Penmanship EF -- Noodler's Bulletproof Black or American Eel Black? From what I've gathered, the latter is just like the former but more lubricated? Do I need that for my pen, or will it just unnecessarily lengthen drying time? I have to write quickly on the bar exam, so drying time will also be a factor.

Thanks very much in advance for your help!

Member of the postcard and letter exchanges -- please PM me if you're interested in corresponding :)

http://i.imgur.com/WXi8bhb.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• enlvalencia

• TSherbs

• JonSzanto

• justaninker

I think Bullet Proof black is a better idea. Eel black which I do like is not water resistant at all.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Also, consider diluting it just a little. It makes the ink dry a tad bit faster and it is a little less likely to bleed through on that awful paper. Of course, take more than one pen and more than one ink.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Thank you for your input! I'll pick up bulletproof black. :)

Member of the postcard and letter exchanges -- please PM me if you're interested in corresponding :)

Is blue permitted? If so I'd go with Bad Blue Heron, it's fast drying with minimal bleedthrough/feathering, and everything-proof.

We're permitted to use blue, blue-black and black inks only. Most professors have recommended that we use black because some bar examiners are older and have a harder time reading less contrasting ink colors.

Any idea if bad black moccasin might be a better option than either of the ones I initially mentioned? Or X-Feather?

I've read reviews that say Noodler's Black and XFeather take long to dry, though?

I would suggest Sailor Kiwa-Guro as a much better alternative to the Noodler's inks.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I would suggest Sailor Kiwa-Guro as a much better alternative to the Noodler's inks.

Care to elaborate? I don't have much experience with pigmented inks so I don't know the pros and cons.

Any idea if bad black moccasin might be a better option than either of the ones I initially mentioned? Or X-Feather?

I've read reviews that say Noodler's Black and XFeather take long to dry, though?

I do not recommend Bad Black Moccasin. Insanely wet and bleeds like a stuck pig, even in my Pilot fine nibs. It's a great ink, but it needs great paper or it's just a headache. From an extra fine nib, X-Feather shouldn't take too long to dry and the sample I used behaved very well. But regular Bulletproof Black is my go to black ink.

We're permitted to use blue, blue-black and black inks only. Most professors have recommended that we use black because some bar examiners are older and have a harder time reading less contrasting ink colors.

Then I'd go with bulletproof black. I have no problem with its drying time (I'm right handed, though), and it flows beautifully in a fine or extra-fine pen without blurping or clogging. Most "crappy" papers encourage feathering and decrease drying time, so if smearing is a concern having crappy papers actually helps you. I don't anticipate bulletproof black feathering much, and as long as you use a F/EF pen, even if it does it won't compromise your writing.

Good luck with your exam.

Care to elaborate? I don't have much experience with pigmented inks so I don't know the pros and cons.

I used Noodler's Black for a few years as my permanent black, but was getting frustrated with smearing and dry-times in general. I decided to try the Sailor and it has been a great change, working in a number of pens (to test out) and a permanent occupant of a Japanese fine (Sailor Pro Gear), without any issues. I haven't filled any pens with the Noodler's since then.

If nothing else, take the various suggested inks in the thread and order up samples. There is NO verbal recommendation that is the equivalent of trying out the ink yourself, in your pen and your environment.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I don't have the pen in question, but I prefer Noodler's Heart of Darkness over Noodler's Black -- it dries faster and isn't smudgy.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I do not recommend BBM. My wife let it dry out in a Nib Creaper, and I never really got it all out. During the penitential seasons of Lent and Advent, I dilute BBM 1:1 with water and put it in a Noodler's Charlie eyedropper, which is the only pen I have where I am sure I can get it all the way out. Given the choice between Noodler's Black and Heart of Darkness, I, like Ruth, would take HoD. I share her experience of it smudging less and drying faster. And it is just about everything-proof.

Noodler's Red-Black has been a go-to ink for me for years. It has gone smudgy on me in the past, but diluting it about 5:1 or 6:1 with water has fixed that without affecting legibility.

When I sat the Irish Bar Examinations I used Sailor Kiwa Guro and Platinum Carbon. Both dry fast, faster than Noodlers BB for me anyway.

you give up pens for Lent, etc?

No. I give up colored fountain pen ink for Lent. From Ash Wednesday to Holy Saturday, I do not fill any pens with colored ink. I will use pens that have colored ink from Fat Teusday or prior on feast days in that period, as Lenten penitential disciplines are relaxed on feast days.

But in general, I use only black, and most often, Bad Black Moccasin diluted half and half with water in a Charlie. I also will carry either my Dad's "51" filled with some old MontBlanc-Simplo Black with SuperCleaner SC21, or perhaps a Hero 616 filled with Borealis Black in case there's some issue with the Charlie. I also keep this penitential discipline on all Fridays, in place of abstaining from flesh.