Silicone Grease Recommendations?

Guardy

One of my favorite pens - a vintage piston filler - is currently out of commission due to a bit of a mold problem, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to do some pen maintenance while I'm at it and clean and grease the piston.

Now, the thing is: the only silicone grease marketed specifically for the usage in fountain pens (that I'm aware of) is the stuff Goulet Pens sells. I'm European. The shipping costs would be five times the price of the product. That's kind of... not so good.

So, can anybody here maybe name some brands whose silicone grease has worked for them when it comes to greasing piston fillers? Because that would spare me a lot of guesswork and potential wasted time and money and I'd be massively grateful.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MBDostoevsky

• AD64

• Guardy

• eachan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have you tried the Amazon UK site?

And, I know that some of the TWSBI pens have a container of silicone grease in the box. Maybe you have a German friend with a TWSBI you could ask?

Just a couple of thoughts from the USA. Yet, Bavaria is just gorgeous this time of year.

Best,

AD

Most of what pen retailers sell is repackaged silicone grease. I use Dow Molykote 111. A thicker silicone grease will be more resistant to washing off than the stuff that Twsbi gives you with a pen. If you have a scuba shop near buy, they'll have what you need.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Have you tried the Amazon UK site?

And, I know that some of the TWSBI pens have a container of silicone grease in the box. Maybe you have a German friend with a TWSBI you could ask?

Just a couple of thoughts from the USA. Yet, Bavaria is just gorgeous this time of year.

Best,

AD

The TWSBI lube is great stuff. Half a vile lubricated a dozen Reform pistons. The vial of lube can be had for about €27 . They will include a free EOC fountain pen. :lticaptd:

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

@AD64: Would make my life considerably easier in many respects (*cough* books *cough*); alas, British Amazon doesn't want my girocard. And while I appreciate the comment, Bavaria is entirely too cold and very soggy at the moment.

@Ron Z: If you're that far away from any opportunity for scuba diving, scuba shops are a bit of a rarity, unfortunately. Still, good to know that the stuff sold to scuba divers works, that's useful to know.

@Sasha: Oh, shush. My pen budget for next month is depleted (or planned away, in any case. Interestingly, in part for some Reform pens) and I don't need you tempting me with TWSBI right now. Although I'm absolutely going to get a Vac700 demonstrator one day, fill it with Diamine Oxblood, and go creep out some people. Life goals, yay!

-

/EDIT: okay, found something that should work!

Edited by Guardy

I use similar grease to this one on eBay UK:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18g-SILICONE-GREASE-O-RING-RUBBER-GREASE-PLUMBING-LUBRICANT-HANDY-MINI-TIN-/130890762171?hash=item1e79b287bb:g:GQYAAOxy1klRbXUO

Just search for o-ring silicone grease which should be friendly for 99.9999% all plastics and derivatives. Avoid any stuff marked specifically for thermal usage such as CPUs . That one tin should do hundreds of pens for lubricated pistons or seals.

I've used on my ebonite eyedropper and never noticed a problem. There have been other effects comparing the addition of additives such as p.t.f.e but I don't these really have any significant effect personally.

@AD64: Would make my life considerably easier in many respects (*cough* books *cough*); alas, British Amazon doesn't want my girocard. And while I appreciate the comment, Bavaria is entirely too cold and very soggy at the moment.

@Ron Z: If you're that far away from any opportunity for scuba diving, scuba shops are a bit of a rarity, unfortunately. Still, good to know that the stuff sold to scuba divers works, that's useful to know.

@Sasha: Oh, shush. My pen budget for next month is depleted (or planned away, in any case. Interestingly, in part for some Reform pens) and I don't need you tempting me with TWSBI right now. Although I'm absolutely going to get a Vac700 demonstrator one day, fill it with Diamine Oxblood, and go creep out some people. Life goals, yay!

-

/EDIT: okay, found something that should work!

What did you find?

And yes, the soggy season. I hope you get some sunshine soon.

Hey Sasha, are you saying that TWSBI charges 27 bucks for his silicone?

Silicon grease described as 'food safe' or 'WRAS rated' or 'plumbing' is generally the purest with no additives, as it has to be fit for consumption or use in potable water pipes. Personally I do not use the thinner silicon greases that come close to oil-like consistency.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

Most of what pen retailers sell is repackaged silicone grease. I use Dow Molykote 111. A thicker silicone grease will be more resistant to washing off than the stuff that Twsbi gives you with a pen. If you have a scuba shop near buy, they'll have what you need.

Back in the old days Molykote was molybdenum sulfide and it was used to keep threads from seizing on parts that were heat cycled. Black creamy stuff that got everywhere and didn't wash off.

I see Dow has 'reformulated' the Molykote line. Apparently nothing is sacred anymore...

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Hey Sasha, are you saying that TWSBI charges 27 bucks for his silicone?

I think it was a joke and Sasha was saying that by buying a pen for 27, one gets the silicone for free.

Do correct me if I have interpreted the postings incorrectly though.

search on eBay "pure silicone grease McNett". I'd send you some of mine if I had a suitable container, 7g is more than I will ever need

@AD64: This is what I found (No affiliation and stuff, you know the deal). I have no idea in which language the description shows for you because I've set my amazon language to English anyway (which is probably kind of sad, given that I'm not even a native speaker, but ah well, that's what the internet does to you) - but long story short, it's advertised as being compatible with plastics and rubber and also non-toxic and what-have-you. Should do the trick, I suppose.
Thanks, I'm certainly wishing for more sunshine, too - or less rain, at least. My university doesn't have a campus, being spread all over the city, which means that I get to walk a lot. I was merrily dripping my way from lecture to lecture today. Shudder.

@FOUR x FOUR: That was a joke. One I would've been more impressed by if Sasha hadn't made the exact same joke in a post from 2012 :P

@Flounder: Thanks for the tips! Sounds logical.

@sciumbasci: I did - the shipping costs were, again, pretty high, unfortunately.

@AD64: This is what I found (No affiliation and stuff, you know the deal). I have no idea in which language the description shows for you because I've set my amazon language to English anyway (which is probably kind of sad, given that I'm not even a native speaker, but ah well, that's what the internet does to you) - but long story short, it's advertised as being compatible with plastics and rubber and also non-toxic and what-have-you. Should do the trick, I suppose.

Thanks, I'm certainly wishing for more sunshine, too - or less rain, at least. My university doesn't have a campus, being spread all over the city, which means that I get to walk a lot. I was merrily dripping my way from lecture to lecture today. Shudder.

@FOUR x FOUR: That was a joke. One I would've been more impressed by if Sasha hadn't made the exact same joke in a post from 2012 :P

@Flounder: Thanks for the tips! Sounds logical.

@sciumbasci: I did - the shipping costs were, again, pretty high, unfortunately.

The web page came up in German for me but since I can still read a little German it was mostly understandable. That is a large container though ... I would be put off by having to buy that much. I have a small little pot of the Goulet stuff which makes a nice travel size too. Although, you could get the larger tube and then decant it for all your FP friends?

We've had thunder, lightening, rain, hail, and sunshine here today. But, it is fully spring which is fortunate. I do hope your spring comes soon.

Eh. The smaller container was one of those weird amazon add-on item things, so I would've had to spend 20€ to be able to have that one shipped, which is rather pointless.
If I had any FP friends, I probably wouldn't have racked up such an egregiously high post count in less than two months on this forum - although I'm working on that. The FP friends part, not the post count. I mean, that too, but... anyway.
Most people over here have ample fountain pen experience - I'm not quite sure if that makes dragging people down the rabbit hole with me harder or easier...

Seems like April decided to stay late, huh? It's the same thing here, essentially, except over a longer period of time.
My spring was already there. Then it was gone. Then it came back. Then I had to drag out the winter coat today. Which is a bit of a pain, really.

I ordered scuba grade silicone grease on ebay. This is made for breathing apparatus and hopefully is therefore fairly pure. No need to find the scuba shop. I have way more than a lifetime supply for $9 USD plus shipping. I would guess you could find on line sellers of scuba supplies in Europe to keep shipping costs down.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scuba-and-Camera-O-Rings-Silicone-Grease-2oz-/182135034652?hash=item2a6818131c:g:fXgAAOSwNgxWDuYd

60 cc - a lifetime supply for a pen user - for only $7.74.

Or a small jar for a pen user with inexpensive worldwide shipping

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scuba-Diving-Silicone-Grease-Lubricant-O-Ring-Camera-Case-Valve-1-2-oz-14-gr/331710695638?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D36539%26meid%3D2a199df297fe4b27b8e7cd5b1e8233a4%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D182135034652

• 4 weeks later...

Silicone O-Ring Grease should be fine. In one of Goulets video or maybe it was fountainpenrevolution I think he says you get it from the hardware store. I am using a Hills Pump Oring silcone grease i recived with a pump for my High pressure FX Air Rifle.

I use the MG Chemicals 8462-85ML Translucent Silicone Grease, it's pure silicone grease and used in my laboratory for electronics and tubing. It's $10 a tube, and will last a long time. It does come in larger sizes too. It's also food safe.

Edited by kapanak