Pulling The Trigger - Pilot Custom 823

Cryptos

Hmm, the 'best' advice I've seen here was when someone was trying to decide between 2 pens and somebody urged them to "get BOTH of them, because you KNOW you will eventually."

Wonderful wisdom. I've been following that advice ever since. Fortunately I started to feel I have too many pens (can't keep them all inked at the same time anymore) before I got totally broke.

Love the Pilots though, went from Penmanship to Prera to CH 912 FA and these make me feel pretty confident in the rest. I know I'll get CH 92 and 823 eventually.

I feel like you are in the same boat. If you like the other models from the brand and so many people saying it's their favourite pen, it surely can't be disappointing. Only time will tell anyway if it is THE pen for you...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cryptos

• Bluey

• Water Ouzel

• Betweenthelines

When I get into pen obsession mode I find relief by stopping reading fpn for a while and doing something different with what I already have pen wise, like switching inks, and spending time writing to deepen my understanding of a given pen. If we could avoid pen obsession mode, I think fpn would lose 1/2 of its activity.

I still haven't decided. Right now I've dug out an old Pilot 78G to do red ink duty as it has a very fine nib. That's its only role.

Now, the announcement that Nakaya are moving their goal posts has given me pause for thought. I could jump in on one right now, or I could simply wait until later when they will be more expensive but I will also likely have more money to play with. This is annoying with regard to one of my favourites, the ishime midori, as they are doubling the price. Perhaps that dream is a little too high for someone like me.

Anyway, the 823 remains under the microscope.

Trigger pulled! :yikes:

Congrats!

Let us know how you like it.

I sensed that looking at Nakayas was the last step. By going back to Pilot, you're practically SAVING MONEY :)

That ishime midori is sooo beautiful though. Too much actually, it would just live at the little pen altar somewhere, never to be used and scratched, wouldn't it?

Congratulations. The best way to know a pen is to own it. Besides, even if you decide it's not for you, the 823 is a pretty easy sale on the Market. Enjoy, and let us know how you like it.

Thanks. I'm going to do a bit of soul searching this month to decide whether a Nakaya is ever going to be a likely purchase. Desirable, yes, but I am not sure I really want to go down that path. I suspect that people who generally buy these things are either in exceptionally well-paid jobs or are trustafarians. I am neither of these things, and never will be of course.

I hope you will love it, and I suspect you will.

Not saying this was the case here, but I agree, in good humor, with the comment above that the best way to buy a $200 pen is to decide, after long meditation, not to buy a $1500 pen.

Cool ;) What nib size did you end up getting? And which color scheme of pen?

I went for the amber version with a fine nib. Being familiar with Japanese nibs means that I will not be surprised by its fineness - it's what I want anyway. I had thought to get the clear version, but in the end realised that I don't actually want this to be anything other than an out and out work pen, and transparency would be distracting a little. The black ... well, didn't do anything for me really.

Same pen in each version, just a question of personal taste in colours.

I will wrestle with the Nakaya issue during June (pre price hike). At this time I am not sure that I would ever really feel comfortable owning a pen at that price level, so I suspect that the 823 may represent the pinnacle in most regards, even though it is a little cheaper than the Scriptorium that I have on request. I love the idea of an Urushi pen - including the Namiki Emperor or Royale - so never say never I guess, but I wouldn't want to lay a wager on it.

Besides which, people of my station in life are not really meant to have those kinds of things.

I may still grab something better than the 78G for red ink. Beyond that? Nothing really, unless something especially interesting catches my eye.

It's time to stop looking, lusting and buying, and start doing some serious writing!

Congrats on your new pen! You'll like it of course, and I think you made the right choice in buying the amber from the choices available.

A more expensive pen deserves much more thinking time to consider.

Edited by Bluey

Nice - same pen I have. The Amber really grew on me as I owned it and the fine nib is fantastic. It's definitely perfect for serious writing if that's what you want to do. Nakayas are nice but honestly they are art pieces more than writing instruments. I use my 823 probably 4 times as often as my Naka-ai because the 823 makes a better EDC, because of its superior ink capacity & filling system, its clip, and the fact that I don't worry about scratching it. Also my Nakaya has suffered from consistent flow issues that has required 2 trips back to John M. and now a trip to Mike M. to hopefully resolve. So yeah.. They're pretty pens but the 823 is a writer's pen.

It's a strange thing but for some reason the amber 823 looks (to me) like a working pen. Something that will get the job done, no fuss no muss, and not attract much attention (famous last words there of course!).

I like, and agree with, the comments in the last two posts that the 823 is a "writer's pen" or a "working pen." That's good praise, I think, and I'm going to go do a little writing with mine right now.

Funny, that is exactly how I think of (and have described) the Pilot C74. As a "working person's pen"

Much like the old UK Duofolds or the Parker 45 or Sheaffer Targa or something like that.

A Fill it and go to work pen. The 823 seems a bit fancy for that moniker but I can kind of see it.

Enjoy.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version