Pulling The Trigger - Pilot Custom 823

Cryptos

I think it's very easy to get scared off from buying these things because of various opinions or adverse reports, and this feeling of reluctance is directly proportional to the cost involved. Which is why I haven't pulled the trigger as of now. Still undecided.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cryptos

• Bluey

• Water Ouzel

• Betweenthelines

Those appear to be cases of users taking the pen apart and over tightening when putting it back together.

Given that there's really no compelling reason to take the 823 apart most of the time ... cleaning the pen out is easy what with its vacuum fill system; it's not like trying to completely clean out a Parker vacfill or Sheaffer touchdown or many lever-fill pens.

The point I was trying to make in my previous post.

I think it's very easy to get scared off from buying these things because of various opinions or adverse reports, and this feeling of reluctance is directly proportional to the cost involved. Which is why I haven't pulled the trigger as of now. Still undecided.

I say go for it my friend. If we spend our whole lives in introspective reflection, weighing every option to a grain of sand, we accomplish nothing and find even less joy or riches.

I've had at least three or four Pilot 823 pens over the years. Of course, I don't own any now, but that's simply because I became interested in other pens and sold or traded the 823s away. They are great pens. I didn't find the nib "hard as a nail" by any stretch. It was certainly not a flexible nib, but it possessed a comfortable amount of cushion and wrote consistently (all of mine were Fine points). My reason for moving on was simply I rarely used the pens to the point of exhausting the ink reservoirs. For me, personally, the 743 provides a greater level of simplicity in the same size, shape, and nib. Also, Pilot's #15 nib in a soft fine may well be my favourite nib...ever. The bottom line is the 823 is a fine pen. There's nothing "wrong" with it. Your tastes are more likely to change before the pen gives you any problems--if the pen EVER gives you any problems.

Aren't we supposed to be enablers? I would say go for it! :D

As for the cracking problems: a year ago I was in your shoes and read all the stories. My conclusion based on what I read was that most, but not all, problems were associated with people disassembling the pen. But there is absolutely no pen that will not have a few lemons and Pilot's costumer service seems very good, so I bought it.

My impressions of the pen (amber with F nib):

Pros

- It is an excellent writer.

- It is a beauty! ;)

- Holds tons of ink.

- It is probably the best I have to take on a trip: the shut-off valve prevents any leaking.

Cons

- Having to unscrew the blind cap can be annoying (it is to me. But it is a minor problem).

- It is virtually impossible to clean the pen of all ink, so I have to stick with one color for this pen (which may or not be a problem to you, but it is a major problem to me).

Everybody will have their personal preferences and this plays a major role in their opinion of the 823 (or any other pen). For example, I would take any Pelikan over the 823 (by the way your budget is well inside a M400 ;) ), but Pelikans are my favorite pens and I am not too fond of cigar shaped pens. On the other hand, there are only two cigar shaped pens that I would never sell: the 823 and the MB 149 (which means that I prefer my 823 over my MB 146).

If you like cigar shaped pens, like Pilot nibs (what is not to like there?) and find the pen beautiful, go for it! I'm sure you will be very happy with it.

Good luck!

Before I do that I thought I'd canvas some last minute opinions. Is this the right choice? I thought about a 743 but reviews talk about visible seams on the body, and besides which I don't particularly care for the styling.

Does anyone have any compelling arguments as to why I shouldn't consider the 823, and perhaps should look at something else at or around this price point?

As Dumbo (might have) said, "I'm all ears" :D

What nib are you thinking of getting, if you do get the pen in the end?

A fine nib. This should be a pen for everyday writing, notation, bad paper and so on.

I did consider the 743 with its vast array of nibs but if I'm only buying one I only get one nib anyway. The style of the 743 in black is just very ordinary looking to me, while the 823 - even thought the same basic shape - looks a little more interesting.

As it stands I have not done anything.

I don't consider Pelikan a viable choice. Their nibs, from reading reports, seem to lack any redeeming qualities unless one wants a honking big OB or bigger. As I am looking for a precise nib this just won't do.

I don't consider Pelikan a viable choice. Their nibs, from reading reports, seem to lack any redeeming qualities unless one wants a honking big OB or bigger. As I am looking for a precise nib this just won't do.

We will have to agree to disagree on that one :)

I had a feeling when I saw this thread that by the end of the three pages you would have not decided on anything. ;) EoC perhaps it would be better to look inside yourself to make decisions instead of wanting others to convince you, because in the end, with all the different opinions around here, you are doomed to remain in indecision. I think in the end if you act from a place of your own preferences and guidance you will be a lot happier with your decision in the end, because it will come from you.

A fine nib. This should be a pen for everyday writing, notation, bad paper and so on.

I did consider the 743 with its vast array of nibs but if I'm only buying one I only get one nib anyway. The style of the 743 in black is just very ordinary looking to me, while the 823 - even thought the same basic shape - looks a little more interesting.

As it stands I have not done anything.

Perhaps a Falcon? I have an extra fine and it provides a really nice writing experience, and quite distinctive from the other pens I own. Reasonably large ink capacity with the con-70, a distinctive nib, and comes in some nice sparkly colours. So it's nice to look at and write with in addition to being practical.

Another pen to consider is a Pilot 92 with it's wide variety of nibs, large ink capacity, and varying colours and styles (there's several rather attractive blue demonstrators that's making the rounds on ebay at the moment).

Sometimes it's a case of what the heck

Edited by Bluey

We will have to agree to disagree on that one :)

A Pelikan is nowhere near as precise as a Pilot fine. I doubt that there's much to debate there, but I could be (and often am) wrong.

I had a feeling when I saw this thread that by the end of the three pages you would have not decided on anything. ;) EoC perhaps it would be better to look inside yourself to make decisions instead of wanting others to convince you, because in the end, with all the different opinions around here, you are doomed to remain in indecision. I think in the end if you act from a place of your own preferences and guidance you will be a lot happier with your decision in the end, because it will come from you.

I understood that when I started the thread. However, it serves a useful function in highlighting that the current trend for a deluge of reviews - a la Amazon - does not tell us much. It's one of the reasons I don't read book reviews anymore. If I may be permitted a small digression. Growing up without the internet, or even computers, we would choose books based on known authors, or the blurb on the cover, or the cover art work, or sometimes just a random shot. In a way this was the excitement of exploration, and I have read many books that I thought were superb that I would never have touched if I had read the broad spectrum of reviews that come from today's habit of over-reviewing stuff.

I hope that makes sense?

Perhaps a Falcon? I have an extra fine and it provides a really nice writing experience, and quite distinctive from the other pens I own. Reasonably large ink capacity with the con-70, a distinctive nib, and comes in some nice sparkly colours. So it's nice to look at and write with in addition to being practical.

Another pen to consider is a Pilot 92 with it's wide variety of nibs, large ink capacity, and varying colours and styles (there's several rather attractive blue demonstrators that's making the rounds on ebay at the moment).

I have a CH912 with an FA nib and like it very much. The Elabo (Falcon), while interesting, is not a big enough draw for me. I would like to try one but not necessarily buy one. The metal version... well, I don't care much for metal pens (open to having my mind changed, though I am reasonably sure of my dislike).

Strangely enough the difference between the 743 and the 823 - apart from the nib choice - is that the former looks quite formal while the latter looks more workmanlike, if you see what I mean. As for the nibs, I was looking at the fine on the 823. If I went the route of the 743 then I would be tempted by all the other options. If I stuck with the fine then it would be a simple choice between finishes and filling systems: I like the con 70 but not the black finish of the 743, I like the finishing of the 823 but the filling system is new to me.

By the way, all this mulling and picking over isn't frustrating in the least. It's a nice harmless way to not spend any money! :D

I do the same thing: I have been mulling a Pilot and a Churchman's Prescriptor (for different reasons) and have had one of each in and out of my cart(s) more than once. The indecision saves me money and is a check on my impulsiveness (often heresy around this parts of the inkyweb). I started a thread, too, about the CH74 and the CH92, and the 50-50 split of replies helped me NOT purchase either, which I do not regret, and may still follow through on at some point. It's the way I roll. :thumbup:

Perhaps you guys can hold off your purchase until you've ticked off those one or two important items on your todo lists which you(or your family have been nagging you about! :)) have been meaning to do. Then it will feel more rewarding.

That's what I'm planning to do myself to hold the reins on my purchases

Edited by Bluey

I have a Pilot Custom 823 with a fine nib -- which writes like an extra fine, and that is fine with me. It is a large pen, but primarily in regards to length; the pen's girth is not extreme. I've had it for a bit more than a year and it is always inked, and has been used for everything from taking interview notes to writing drafts of plays and novels. I've had no trouble with unscrewing the blind cap. The feel and balance of the pen is just about perfect for my hand, which are not large. I have the amber, and love the color. I've run four different brands and colours of ink through it with no problem. It's one of those pens that I always am looking for opportunities to use.

It is also a pen my "close, personal friend" (ahem -- ok, I interviewed him and got to swap pen stories with him once) uses a Custom 823 as his primary book-signing pen.

In short, I recommend the Custom 823.

He's only buying a pen. Asking for suggestions is very useful. It's just a pen purchase, it's not psychotherapy

If you already have a Custom Heritage 912 FA, then what are you waiting for? Go for it and buy the Custom 823, with a (Japanese) fine nib... Or save up for a Custom 845. If you have your financial matters in order, then life's too short to wait :)

He's only buying a pen. Asking for suggestions is very useful. It's just a pen purchase, it's not psychotherapy

My point is that there seems to be a pattern here of EOC starting threads like these, getting tons of suggestions and feedback, and by the end being no closer to making a decision making me wonder whether any of the feedback is actually useful. Not trying to do psychotherapy just pointing out something I've noticed.

The point I was trying to make in my previous post.

Noted. There's some delay between when posts are submitted and actually appear up here above the snow line.

Alternatively: it makes our argument that much more unassailable?

An anecdote: I could probably search a bit and find it, but some months ago I read a comment here at FPN by someone who sounded like they knew what they were talking about, and they said, without qualification, that the 823 with Fine nib was the nicest-writing pen that person had encountered. I was not in the market for an upscale pen at the moment, but I filed that piece of data away, and on occasion would read other reviews or take the dangerous route of Google Images. Eventually, I had a bit of gift money and got the 823 with, of course, Fine nib. I happen to feel the same way as the unknown reviewer. It is definitely my favorite pen, and the smoothest writer I have. That doesn't mean you should buy one, but I would be very surprised if you regretted it.