Century Confusion

Shannon

Cross actually calls it Classic Century in their current catalogue. It is even a registered trademark in the US.

I think the original Century line and the current Classic Century line are different but someone correct me if I'm wrong. In the description of the limited edition 21st Century they write "To mark our 170th anniversary as well as the 70th anniversary of the iconic 1946 Century line..." So they didn't refer to the line as "Classic Century" in that description which is what made me believe we are talking about two different lines of fountain pens.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ac12

• Bunsan

• rff000

• Braxfield

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you for your reply. That explains why the so-called "Century III" sightings have been so few and far between: simply an informal attempt tp account for variation. This is a great thread. The "Century 2000", sub-Townsend is another curiosity. Clearly lots of field work still to be done. I have arrived late to the Cross party. I find the weight, shape and dimensions of the Townsend to be well nigh perfect.

Edited by Braxfield

"They come as a boon and a blessing to men,
the Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley Pen."

Cross actually calls it Classic Century in their current catalogue. It is even a registered trademark in the US.

I think the original Century line and the current Classic Century line are different but someone correct me if I'm wrong. In the description of the limited edition 21st Century they write "To mark our 170th anniversary as well as the 70th anniversary of the iconic 1946 Century line..." So they didn't refer to the line as "Classic Century" in that description which is what made me believe we are talking about two different lines of fountain pens.

Man that is an EXPENSIVE pen. $10,000

https://www.cross.com/en/products/at0086-107g

https://www.thepencompany.com/product/cross-21st-century-fountain-pen/

I have no idea about the reference to the "1936 Century line" on the Cross web page.

And I don't know where the 70 year and 1946 reference on the PenCompany web page is from, as the Cross page references 1936.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know how to find eBay pages from years ago, but eBay is where I saw references to a Century III, advertised by one of a small number of discount sellers doing business very near the Cross factory in Lincoln, Rhode Island and presumably able to buy overstock directly from Cross.

Yes, I have heard of the Wayback Machine and the internet Archive, but I've never tried to use them. Others may be able to turn up those offers to sell Century III pens. (And they may not have been fountain pens.)

• 2 weeks later...

Further Century Confusion. Was there ever an extra-long Century FP, ie about one half inch longer than the regular?

"They come as a boon and a blessing to men,
the Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley Pen."

• 3 months later...

I have the early eighties century fountain pen, and the century II, but never had the late classic, just for the shape of the nib, problem with the early century was the infamous wooble nib that Cross never resolved that I know.

• 2 months later...

The one on the far left I bought one just like it new last fall at Staples. Mine is called the Classic Century Chrome.

Dave

Edited by millertime

• 2 years later...

I hate to revive an old thread, but I might be able to help explain this... Cross founded 1846 as a jeweler. Involvement with writing instruments: at the time, often made of vulcanite/ hard rubber. Cross made silver and gold fitments for pens and pencils. Decorative and protective. Come 1946, new invention, the ballpoint. Cross went all in and began making own instruments. In business 100 years, called it the “century.” Fountain pen makers in the USA were too big to survive, no one wanted fountain pens in that volume again. Ballpoints took over and Cross did well. Early 1980s fountain pen renaissance began. Cross brought out a nice dependable pen, select tip too, they were part of the Century line, just slightly oversized. 2016: 70 years after original iconic “Century” shape, a new slimmer fountain pen to pay homage to original design/size, the “Century Classic”

• 2 months later...

Hi folks, I need help in identifying a Cross Century Classic from the 1990s, exact images of which I can't seem to find anywhere. I am attaching some pictures. Thanks for your help 

20210506_213526.jpg

20210506_214101.jpg

20210511_184601.jpg

20210511_184646.jpg

20210511_184716.jpg

" Century Classic " the model name had been used for several generation of models , all of which are based on the same design style vise but different , I believe the photo show the 1st type model or original version as one would call it, I believe it came out some time mid 1980's , and was replaced sometime mid 1990's with a slimmer 2nd generation " Century Classic " , someone correct me if I am wrong

The photographs posted by Bunsan depict the very first Cross Century fountain pen (not Century Classic or Classic Century). It was offered for sale in the United States in 1984 after being test-marketed in foreign countries beginning in 1982.

In some later year, I think still in the 1980s, Cross brought out the Century II, which was somewhat thicker than the earlier Century fountain pen and otherwise different in design. Slightly longer. Variations on the Century II are still being sold.

Many people still found Cross pens too thin and light. In 1993 or 1994, some such year, Cross brought out the Townsend, which was somewhat thicker than the Century II although still a bit too slim for many users of modern pens. (The current Peerless 125 is not reproached for thinness. Or for much else.)

Incidentally, the very first Cross Century product, in 1946, was a mechanical pencil. For most of its history Cross has been more a pencil manufacturer than a pen manufacturer. It began selling ballpoint pens during the 1950s, after a dignified wait to see how things were going. Parker also waited.

After I stopped paying close attention Cross brought out some very thin pens called either the Classic Century or the Century Classic, or both. I'm not sure Cross itself has a firm grip on that.

Such enthusiasts as Mr. Thoth may weigh in with exact dates.

Thank you both Mech-for-i and Jerome Tarshis. Does this make it are and maybe valuable??

1 hour ago, Bunsan said:

Thank you both Mech-for-i and Jerome Tarshis. Does this make it are and maybe valuable??

Sorry...Rare

16 hours ago, Bunsan said:

Sorry...Rare

It was a commercially successful pen. For a time it was a major status symbol. Ergo, not rare or especially valuable. Something similar might be said of the Parker 51. A few configurations of the 51 are less frequently found than others, but a pen that has sold a huge number of units is unlikely to have insane admirers paying insane prices.

Well , a bit scarce today is how I would put it , value likely not unlike say any similar vintage pen of similar caliber , aka a bit of value but not really valuable as per say.

In the picture it's of the rather common gold plated variant so expect little out of it but uncommon finishes of this pen like the solid gold or solid sterling silver do command a bit of a price. 

At the time I recall Cross selling these in sets with their ballpoint and mechanical pencil. Those sets kind of ask for a price as they ( the ballpoint and pencils ) are kind of hard to find and they are not styled like latter Century series but more blunt, rounded and thicker like the fountain pen do.

• 3 months later...

I can say something about the Cross Century pen. When I graduated High School my parents gave me the Cross ball point and pencil set. They did not know that I really preferred fountain pens. Some years later, in the mid-80's, I think, I saw a chrome Cross fountain pen at J.C. Penney's marked down for clearance, from something like $50 to $13, as I recall. I can't resist a bargain and I also wanted to buy the Cross pen that my parents should have bought me originally. The fountain pen came with a medium point but I wanted extra fine, thinking that I could write much longer on a single filling (I liked economy cars for the same reason). The A.T. Cross company came through and did the exchange. Later, something even more drastic happened. I dropped the pen in my garage and accidentally ran over it with my car. Luckily, it only damage the barrel, but the Cross company saved me again and repaired the barrel, leaving only a hint of a dent, which I have to this day. I also knew about the matte finish models and a year or so ago I found one on Ebay in new condition for only $11, but with a Canadian Pacific imprint. I went for it and now I have two of those FP's, plus the ballpoint. I like the matte finish because it has a sturdier pocket clip, so I now use the extra fine nib in the matte pen. My story tells a few things that have been mentioned above, like the modest value of the pen and the fact that they had to reduce the pen to $13 to get rid of it. Also, that J.C. Penney had a fountain pen counter. Now I assume they just have a rack of plastic ballpoints in the school supplies aisle. I miss the good old days.