Century Confusion

Shannon

Cross and their Centuries!!!

Does anyone have the different Century models who could post pictures comparing the pens side-by-side? Might be nice to see a Townsend thrown in the mix, too. I'm soo confused!

My fingers are always inky and I'm always looking for something new.  Interested in trading?  Contact me!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ac12

• Bunsan

• Jerome Tarshis

• Braxfield

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good afternoon. Others more versed than I will certainly chime in on this, and with much more information, but here's a little something to get you started. Granted, most of these are rollerballs, but at least as far as I know there is no discernible difference between the two.

From left to right in both photos:

1. Century in Chrome (#3505) - I think when most folks think "Cross", this is what they think.

2. Century II in Chrome (#3504) - A little longer and wider than the Century. Has one band at the base of the cap. Also has a Townsend-like grip on a smaller scale.

3. Century 2000 in Blue (I'm not sure of the official name, but I think it is Blue Lacquer) - from what I have found, these were a limited release in 1997 (following the 1993 release of the Townsend). Attributes of both the Century II (including the clip and the single band at the base of the cap) and the Townsend (cap design, size, and apparent ability to use Townsend nib and Selectip sections).

4. Townsend in Chrome - as requested, for comparison. Primary differences between this pen and the Century 2000 appear to be the clip and the Townsend's signature double band at the base of the cap.

5. Peerless in Obsidian Black - for further comparison.

Hope this helps!

Chad

post-7769-0-35178700-1464107095_thumb.jpg

post-7769-0-87556800-1464107227_thumb.jpg

Edited by Arklawboy

Please see my current classifieds!

Looking for a Cross Century 2000 RB and/or FP in Chrome: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/classifieds/item/43765-wtb-cross-century-2000-rollerball-andor-fp-in-chrome/

Wow, thanks for posting the comparison!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

That's perfect! Thank you -- so very helpful.

My fingers are always inky and I'm always looking for something new.  Interested in trading?  Contact me!

Thanks for the comparison. That leaves out the Century Classic which is another step narrower.

I think I'll pin this topic!

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Thanks for the comparison. That leaves out the Century Classic which is another step narrower.

I think I'll pin this topic!

D.ick

The "Classic Century" per Cross.

http://www.cross.com/catalog/collectionlanding.aspx?cat_name=Classic_Century_Pen_Collection&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

This is a real slimline pen, about the diameter of the original Century ball pen/mechanical pencil, or a standard wood pencil.

It uses the new slim cartridge.

And NO, Cross does not have a converter for this pen. But, you can make a bulb converter from an empty cartridge.

The problem with this name is that a lot of people call the 'original' Century from the 1980s the 'Classic Century' or 'Century Classic,' which just gets things mixed up, cuz you don't know which of the 2 pens they are really referring to.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

The "Classic Century" per Cross.

http://www.cross.com/catalog/collectionlanding.aspx?cat_name=Classic_Century_Pen_Collection&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

This is a real slimline pen, about the diameter of the original Century ball pen/mechanical pencil, or a standard wood pencil.

It uses the new slim cartridge.

And NO, Cross does not have a converter for this pen. But, you can make a bulb converter from an empty cartridge.

The problem with this name is that a lot of people call the 'original' Century from the 1980s the 'Classic Century' or 'Century Classic,' which just gets things mixed up, cuz you don't know which of the 2 pens they are really referring to.

Thanks for adding this to the thread. I don't have one of those in my little collection, in part because it is just way too slim for my hands. I also just think the others look better! :) Thanks again, and glad the comparison was helpful!

C

Please see my current classifieds!

Looking for a Cross Century 2000 RB and/or FP in Chrome: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/classifieds/item/43765-wtb-cross-century-2000-rollerball-andor-fp-in-chrome/

• 2 months later...

Adding a picture of my Century II with gold appointments for reference (and to show off my precious! It was the first fountain pen I ever purchased, knowing nothing about fountain pens except that I loved the feeling of writing with them, how elegant and special they seemed. It took most of my first paycheck in addition to my employee discount but I had to have it! I thought it was lost forever until just a few months ago when I discovered it hiding in a box of junk! *Hubby got a tense lecture about just throwing things in boxes*)

post-128972-0-41580000-1471799619_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Good afternoon. Others more versed than I will certainly chime in on this, and with much more information, but here's a little something to get you started. Granted, most of these are rollerballs, but at least as far as I know there is no discernible difference between the two.

1. Century in Chrome (#3505) - I think when most folks think "Cross", this is what they think.

2. Century II in Chrome (#3504) - A little longer and wider than the Century. Has one band at the base of the cap. Also has a Townsend-like grip on a smaller scale.

3. Century 2000 in Blue (I'm not sure of the official name, but I think it is Blue Lacquer) - from what I have found, these were a limited release in 1997 (following the 1993 release of the Townsend). Attributes of both the Century II (including the clip and the single band at the base of the cap) and the Townsend (cap design, size, and apparent ability to use Townsend nib and Selectip sections).

4. Townsend in Chrome - as requested, for comparison. Primary differences between this pen and the Century 2000 appear to be the clip and the Townsend's signature double band at the base of the cap.

Hope this helps!

Chad

Nice.

I do not have a photo comparison, but I think there are 3 different kinds of centuries (I am new on this, pls correct me if I am wrong) classic century from the 80s or so with the nib like lamy safari, current classic century and century ii. Am I right?

• 1 month later...

Adding a picture of my Century II with gold appointments for reference (and to show off my precious! It was the first fountain pen I ever purchased, knowing nothing about fountain pens except that I loved the feeling of writing with them, how elegant and special they seemed. It took most of my first paycheck in addition to my employee discount but I had to have it! I thought it was lost forever until just a few months ago when I discovered it hiding in a box of junk! *Hubby got a tense lecture about just throwing things in boxes*)

Beautiful Century II you have, kmeredith923. Makes me want to look for that particular one! :)

• 1 month later...

I always thought that the difference between the older and newer ones was that the older ones use the order "Century Classic," but the new ones are called "Classic Century." That's very confusing, especially if you do a search without putting the exact phrase in quotation marks.

I own a "Century Classic," dating from somewhere in the 1980's. It was on a clearance sale at a J.C. Penney's store for $13, supposedly much more expensive when not on sale. Mine had a medium nib, but the A.T. Cross company switched mine to XF for free. A distinctive mark is at the top of the cap, where you can see two lines:

Cross

Made in USA

A few years after buying the pen, it accidentally fell out of my pocket on my driveway and I ran over it in my 1969 Plymouth. The cap was ruined and the barrel had a small dent. I sent it to A.T. Cross again and they returned it in perfect condition, except for my barrel with the tiny dent, which doesn't affect the pen in any way, but is now a 35 year old reminder of my dumb accident!

Edited by rff000

Nice.

I do not have a photo comparison, but I think there are 3 different kinds of centuries (I am new on this, pls correct me if I am wrong) classic century from the 80s or so with the nib like lamy safari, current classic century and century ii. Am I right?

I always thought that the difference between the older and newer ones was that the older ones use the order "Century Classic," but the new ones are called "Classic Century." That's very confusing, especially if you do a search without putting the exact phrase in quotation marks.

I own a "Century Classic," dating from somewhere in the 1980's. It was on a clearance sale at a J.C. Penney's store for $13, supposedly much more expensive when not on sale. Mine had a medium nib, but the A.T. Cross company switched mine to XF for free. A distinctive mark is at the top of the cap, where you can see two lines:

Cross

As far as I know there are THREE models of the Century

#1 = Century from about 1980s. Note this is NOT the Classic Century nor Century Classic. It was the FIRST of the Century pens, and is simply the Century. Some call it, the original Century, which avoids the name confusion of using the word "Classic." Note that the fountain pen and select tip pens are larger in diameter than the ball pen and mechanical pencils.

#2 = Century II. Larger and heavier than the Century.

#3 = Classic Century. This is a current production pen. I think the name comes from making the pens (including the fountain pen) about the same diameter as the original Century ball pen, about 8.1mm in diameter.

To make thing confusing, this model comes in TWO (2) versions, and they did not change the name :wacko: IOW, if you are not careful you can buy Version 1, thinking you are buying Version 2.

• Classic Century - Version 1 = The first version made, is a slimline pen about the size of a #2 pencil, aprox 8.1mm diameter. Similar in diameter to the original Century ball pen. Note that Cross does NOT make a converter that will fit this pen. And it uses the Cross SLIM cartridge.
  • Classic Century - Version 2 = The 2nd version made, is larger in diameter (9.7mm), to fit a converter. According to the Cross web site, the Version 2, also uses the Cross SLIM cartridge.
Edited by ac12

www.SFPenShow.com

Thanks for the correction. It really is confusing. OK, I have a plain Century. I actually also have the ballpoint, which I don't like as much as the FP, but I got as a gift back in the 60's. I always thought both were thin, but now that I look at both in front of me, I can see that the ballpoint is even thinner.

Here's a photo, showing the dent in the FP from when I ran over the barrel in my car:

http://s016.radikal.ru/i334/1706/c2/e36e07fcc428.jpg

Edited by rff000

The confusing part comes when people incorrectly refer to the original Century as the Classic Century or Century Classic.

This is why I always have to ask for clarification when someone says Classic Century or Century Classic.

Unfortunately, Cross does not have a 10k or 14k Classic Century fountain pen.

I would love one to match up to my old sets.

Edited by ac12

www.SFPenShow.com

• 1 month later...

FWIW, here are three pictures of my Century Classic Medalist I bought in 2017. It seems there is a difference in the bottom part of the fountain pen. The same difference exists in the rollerball of which I do not have a picture yet (it's on order)

post-137942-0-12854700-1501947388_thumb.jpg

post-137942-0-88531100-1501947375_thumb.jpg

post-137942-0-02588000-1501947397_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...

ARLawboy, thank you very much for the pictures. I just bought very first Fountain pen to my collection and it is the one on the left (with the silver stripe). Ill post a picture but wanted to know if you can get a convertor for it?

post-141526-0-32011900-1517934907_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hope this helps!

Chad

Beautiful pics Chad

A century Classic (New) and an old discontinued Pinnacle would make the set complete.

Enjoy your pens

Have a nice day

Junaid

• 3 months later...

I have occasionally come across references to a Century III. I have never seen one and I don't if know they ever existed. Can anyone throw any light on this? Was there ever a Century III fountain pen? Or was that another name for the "Classic Century" (ie the current production model)?

Edited by Braxfield

"They come as a boon and a blessing to men,
the Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley Pen."

Brax

Not that I know of.

The problem is that people will make up their own names for stuff that had a different FACTORY names.

Example is the the original Century. Where people call it the Classic Century or Century Classic, when in fact it is simply the Century.

So someone may have decided to call the Classic Century a Century III, maybe to avoid name confusion with the original Century.

www.SFPenShow.com