Ink Flash Cards For Sampling Ink

Fabienne

How was it? And what kind of Bristol board was it?

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AD64

• Fabienne

• snowbear

• FPRebel

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And here is the level of OUCH, to ship from the Netherlands to the USA. A single book is 4,95, but with taxes and shipping, the total is 41,85, or about US$46.00. Too rich for me.

maruman_w190-47x47.jpg Maruman Mnemosyne Word Cards
x 2 € 4,95 € 9,90 Subtotaal: € 9,90

Excl. BTW: € 8,18 Zone US: € 31,95

Excl. BTW: € 26,40 21% BTW: € 7,26 Totaal: € 41,85

Perhaps someone from Holland can help you and forward them to you? The shipping is outrageous! The Dutch have a 0-cost option too should someone just pick them up at the store.

A maxi letter sent from Estonia to US costs 4-8 euros, depending on the weight and size.

Edited by Liis

I tried to order from penstore.nl, but their payment system would not take any of my credit cards, and they don't take Paypal, which I prefer. I ended up ordering the Debra Dale cards on Amazon. They're a little larger and they're smooth, rather than textured. We'll just have to see how they do with inks. The Life cards are 3"x5"; that just seems too big for the purpose.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

How was it? And what kind of Bristol board was it?

I have a few pads of Bristol - I think these are Strathmore vellum finish. I have some dual finish Canson (smooth one side, slightly textured on the other) that I'll try and see how it does with FP ink.

It works fine for me, though I might go a little bigger on the card size - maybe add an inch to each dimension (3x4). All I wanted was a quick color reference.

Edited by snowbear

And here is the level of OUCH, to ship from the Netherlands to the USA. A single book is 4,95, but with taxes and shipping, the total is 41,85, or about US$46.00. Too rich for me.

maruman_w190-47x47.jpg Maruman Mnemosyne Word Cards
x 2 € 4,95 € 9,90 Subtotaal: € 9,90

Excl. BTW: € 8,18 Zone US: € 31,95

Excl. BTW: € 26,40 21% BTW: € 7,26 Totaal: € 41,85

I got excited, and then saw what the shipping was. Then I cried. I should have bought a ton of these a year ago when I had the chance.

- The poster formerly known as HollyGolightly

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone checked with any of their local printshops? Seems reasonable that many of them would be glad to cut card stock of your preference to your dimensions and punch the hole for you.

What do I need to use? Bristol board? Or is there something better for the job?

I think this great idea hit me too late. All the inks I've tried, used, bought, kept, and discarded for the last five years or so are in a nice grid paper notebook. How could I get everything in my ink log on to cards if I no longer have the ink? I've tried lotsa kinds of ink, now only have 15 or so plus 8 samples. "Fraid the notebook is staying, but it is a great idea nevertheless.

Tim

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

What do I need to use? Bristol board? Or is there something better for the job?

I'm using Bristol Board (see a few posts up) though I've collected some very heavy bond paper from work. We use it for making large format maps and I grabbed some of the cut-offs.

Thank you, Snowbear! I'm just beginning to acquire ink, and NOW is the time to plan and implement a sample method I'll like. Is there a thread or forum devoted to ink sample methods?

I make my own index cards out of 110-lb Georgia-Pacific Premium Card Stock I buy at Walmart. (I also use this for the writing surface of my D.I.Y. postcards.) I recommend this to anyone who wants FP-friendly index cards. If you have a rotary cutter and cutting board, the job is easier. Indeed I probably wouldn't bother if I had to use a pair of scissors. But anyway, here it is. Take index cards you already have and copy them onto the card stock. Whether 3x5 or 4x6, you can copy three onto each sheet. That's 450 index cards for $5, plus time and labor. The finished product feels like the index cards of the old days, before paper companies began to cheap out.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

Thank you, Snowbear! I'm just beginning to acquire ink, and NOW is the time to plan and implement a sample method I'll like. Is there a thread or forum devoted to ink sample methods?

For now, I just write the name of the ink, draw some cross hatching and add a swipe with a paintbrush. Eventually, I want to use something like this:

26379345721_b5debb0eb2_n.jpg

Others do things more complex. One person I know makes larger samples and draws out a bonsai style tree,using the ink as the leaves - fantastic work. I'll send you a PM if you are interested in seeing it - I can't post a link.

Edited by snowbear

Thank you for sharing these ideas, Bookman! The notecards / postcards will be appropriately sturdy, and have the old school index card feel. I can't wait to try this. I don't have a rotary cutter, but I'm going to ask at the local print shops - they have massive paper cutters for their jobs - don't know how big box stores do it, but some locally owned print shops can cut reams of paper with a single slice with the press of a button on a giant paper cutter. The fee they pass to customers for that is nominal, at least all of this was true a few years ago.

Thank you, kindly!

I make my own index cards out of 110-lb Georgia-Pacific Premium Card Stock I buy at Walmart. (I also use this for the writing surface of my D.I.Y. postcards.) I recommend this to anyone who wants FP-friendly index cards. If you have a rotary cutter and cutting board, the job is easier. Indeed I probably wouldn't bother if I had to use a pair of scissors. But anyway, here it is. Take index cards you already have and copy them onto the card stock. Whether 3x5 or 4x6, you can copy three onto each sheet. That's 450 index cards for $5, plus time and labor. The finished product feels like the index cards of the old days, before paper companies began to cheap out.

Big Box stores will also "drill" holes in paper for you so if you wanted to put your sample on a ring, you could have the hole drilled and do just that.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg