Ink Flash Cards For Sampling Ink

Fabienne

I would very much like to start making a collection of my inks on small cards. I have seen other people do it and it looks like a very useful way to catalog and show my inks. There used to be a Japanese maker of these cards, they were like small flash cards and were held together with a nice ring. I see some of these for sale in various places, Goulet used to carry them but I can't find them now. Can someone tell me what they are and where I can get them? Googling this leads me to a variety of small flash cards on rings but I am leery about the quality of the paper for fountain pen use. I really don't want something which feathers like a chicken or curls up like a snake when I put water on it. Something fountain pen friendly would be great, at least presentable. Can anyone give me a suggestion, please? Thanks.

These looked promising but I need to find something tried and true and will take the recommendation of an FPNer over anyone else.

Edited by Fabienne

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AD64

• Fabienne

• snowbear

• FPRebel

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Jetpens ones are perfect size and put together nicely but they are a bit light weight I think. The Artists Tiles are great weight I think, and they are touted as being great for artists' media (which would do well with fountain pens) but you have to cut and punch and put together yourself. I wonder if there is a good alternative out there which combines the goodness of the paper with the convenience of pre punched and good size.

What a great question. I've been pondering the same thing and am glad you posted this, Fabienne.

I have found that the Zentangle cards are good with felt tipped pens but not as good with fountain pens or with fountain pen ink laid down with brushes. I don't actually like them as much as I'd like to.

Best,

AD

Can someone tell me what they are and where I can get them?

I think what you are looking for is the Maruman Mnemosyne Word Book - http://www.jetpens.com/Maruman-Mnemosyne-Word-Book-4.1-X-2.1-100-Sheets/pd/6704. As to where to get them... you can't. They've been discontinued by the manufacturer and once that was announced fountain pen aficionados from across the globe scooped up the remaining stock in heartbeat. :(

OK, I am one of the original do-it-yourselfers...what sort of paper would you recommend for the flash cards? I love that 34 lb HP paper but I don't think it would be hardy enough to withstand the rigors of being on that ring, and putting reinforcements on the back of the hole is an idea which would set me to howling with agony at the thought of the tedium on top of tedium. So, any thoughts on good durable paper or board? Bristol board good enough?

The 253 gsm Debra Dale Designs cards on Amazon look pretty good, but this is a project I don't have time for right now.

There is a reason Maruman rhymes with Saruman. :angry:

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I'm using the Life index cards, which are pre-punched. Available at Jetpens (No affiliation). I never had the chance to use the Maruman ones. These feel similar to "normal" index card stock to me, I don't see any problems with feathering (Life generally makes good FP friendly paper in notebooks). They might curl if you like to do big wet swabs. (I do a water resistance drip test and they buckle a bit on that spot, doesn't bother me.)

And here is the level of OUCH, to ship from the Netherlands to the USA. A single book is 4,95, but with taxes and shipping, the total is 41,85, or about US$46.00. Too rich for me.

maruman_w190-47x47.jpg Maruman Mnemosyne Word Cards
x 2 € 4,95 € 9,90 Subtotaal: € 9,90
Excl. BTW: € 8,18 Zone US: € 31,95
Excl. BTW: € 26,40 21% BTW: € 7,26 Totaal: € 41,85

I just decided to go with these cards: http://www.amazon.com/Debra-Dale-Designs-Punched-Inches/dp/B00Y98BYSQ?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

From the description, they sound like what I am looking for. We shall see. I will keep you posted. Now to come up with a useful format for the cards to show off all the stuff we love.

I just decided to go with these cards: http://www.amazon.com/Debra-Dale-Designs-Punched-Inches/dp/B00Y98BYSQ?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

From the description, they sound like what I am looking for. We shall see. I will keep you posted. Now to come up with a useful format for the cards to show off all the stuff we love.

I'll be interested to know how the paper quality is too. Yes, do keep us updated.

They had me at smooth finish, good size, and one of the reviews mentioned it did not bleed through and I hope that means they don't feather, either. I will issue a full assay on them. Very excited.