Waterman Carene Preferred Color/finish.

Flippy

Hello.

This can be either about a Carene you own, or one that looks pleasing to the eye that you saw before!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• marcelo

• Erik Dalton

• TheRealMikeDr

• Flippy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I commend you, that's a beautiful pen!

Thank you. I may get a Waterman Hemisphere in Blue in the near future - I really like the Waterman Blue Obsession color.

I like my Carene Islands Sand a lot, and you still can find it on Amazon.com.

The other favorite is the Blue Obsession. ;)

I have the Amber and it's GORGEOUYS! I've had it for years and I use/post it regularly. It's held up incredibly well with very few signs of wear.

(The blue with gold furniture is on my list....)

My fingers are always inky and I'm always looking for something new.  Interested in trading?  Contact me!

I have a Black Sea CT - it was a gift, but I would choose the same version, I think.

I like the Essential & Contemporary collections very much.

The Amber is very very nice, but it is not a pen for me. A bit too... old-fashioned? baroque? I don't know. It is a wonderful pen, though.

The Amber Shimmer is the one that makes me happiest!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

For me, it would either have to be the Contemporary Blue and Gunmetal Fountain pen ST, or the Deluxe Black Fountain Pen GT. The Contemporary Blue, because I do not have enough blue pens and the cap on it complements the design well. The Deluxe Black GT, because it looks like a vintage design and very classic.

However, I frankly find the Waterman current lineup designs a bit yawn-worthy. While some may say that about Parker's current lineup, I really find the Sonnet to be a better design than the Carene, especially the ones with precious metal finishes, as I have had bad experiences with all lacquer on metal finishes for my pens and my other family members pens.

Edited by kapanak

What I would want, is a ultramarine / cobalt blue like Ici et La. Ultramarine Carene is darker shade.

You do not have a right to post. You do not have a right to a lawyer. Do you understands these rights you do not have?

Kaweco Supra (titanium B), Al-Sport (steel BB).

Parker: Sonnet (dimonite); Frontier GT; 51 (gray); Vacumatic (amber).

Pelikan: m600 (BB); Rotring ArtPen (1,9mm); Rotring Rive; Cult Pens Mini (the original silver version), Waterman Carene (ultramarine F)

For me, it would either have to be the Contemporary Blue and Gunmetal Fountain pen ST, or the Deluxe Black Fountain Pen GT. The Contemporary Blue, because I do not have enough blue pens and the cap on it complements the design well. The Deluxe Black GT, because it looks like a vintage design and very classic.

However, I frankly find the Waterman current lineup designs a bit yawn-worthy. While some may say that about Parker's current lineup, I really find the Sonnet to be a better design than the Carene, especially the ones with precious metal finishes, as I have had bad experiences with all lacquer on metal finishes for my pens and my other family members pens.

I'm a Sonnet loyalist as well.

I'm eventually going to get a Marine Amber one (but only after I've gone through the rest of my wishlist /cough) - blue obsession looks nice, too, but I already have a blue obsession Perspective on my list and I like some variety when it comes to pen colors.

The Amber Shimmer is the one that makes me happiest!

+1

I like the Amber Marine shimmer finish also. It was the only reason why I bought a Carene.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

The Sonnet is a fairly common cigar shape design, while the Carene is a bit less standard and yawn worthy. The Sonnet nibs are flimsy and easily bent, while the Carene nibs sometimes have adhesive failure or leak. Both pens have issues like drying out. They end up being case queens for me, nice collectibles. I do have one of each resting in a Sheaffer Imperial desk pen base to keep them moist.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I was looking to buy the Contemporary Blue but could not find it here in Greece. Then I found out that the available solid colour Carenes were on sale at 120 euros and settled on a beautiful Vivid Blue. I love the colour and the subtle sparkles when the light shines on it.

Gistar

I briefly owned a Garnet Red Carène - it was beautiful, from the deep shimmering red, to the gorgeous integrated nib. Unfortunately I couldn't get on with it, it kept burping and wasn't brilliant to write with so sold it on and used the funds to buy a red lacquer Sonnet. Doesn't look quite as impressive but it's far more comfortable to write with in my opinion.

Parker 75, Ingenuity, Premier, Sonnet, Urban | Pelikan M400 | TWSBI Diamond 580 | Visconti Rembrandt

Currently inked: Diamine Apple Glory (Rembrandt), Pelikan 4001 Turquoise (M400), Lamy Black (Diamond 580)

I'm very, very happy with my Prussian Blue Carène Deluxe.

The fine nib that I bought it with was a perfectly good one, but it seemed somewhat characterless for the pen, so I bought a factory stub for it, which is great. Now it's perfect, and I feel little need to acquire any more Carènes.

No trouble posting (which I rarely do), no drying out, no leaks or burps.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)