Wahl Signature Size 6 Nibs, Thoughts On Shape Differences?

Greenie

I have two Wahl "signature" pens in the large #6 size. Both Wahl nibs have similar giant thick shanks. The last picture is to show the size compared to a large Sheaffer nib.

Both are medium and pretty rigid, probably from being pretty thick. The shapes are different with regards to the shoulders and tines.

Maybe this is not interesting, but why are the nibs so different?

fpn_1464062220__wahl_6_nibs_06.jpgfpn_1464061900__wahl_6_nibs_02.jpgfpn_1464061913__wahl_6_nibs_03.jpgfpn_1464061891__wahl_6_nibs_01.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greenie

• Wahlnut

• Roger W.

Top Posters In This Topic

You're comparing a newer Sheaffer to an older Wahl, Sheaffer had some big honking nibs too. Wahl offered a wide line of point options and many of these variances would have been subtle. If we go with your description and compare the points to the early ads the one point may be a manifold (short distance from breather hole to tip) and the other may be a medium signature. Those are two names from the 1930's though your nibs are mid 1920's they were still offering points for every writing style.

Roger W.

The 2 WAHL nibs you show here are for different purposes. In early 1920's as Roger alluded to, (before Personal Point nibs) there were as many as 14 different #6 nibs available on WAHL pens. The 2 you show are a Manifold on the right (very stiff - capable of going through 5 carbon copies), and on the left is a flexible nib for more line variation. The different characteristics from firm to flexible are achieved in by the cut of the nib sides to be more tapered on the flex. If you go to the pinned material here on the forum, I think you will find an array of the nibs available in the 20's

Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein

Pensbury Manor

Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments

Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company

www.wahleversharp.com

New WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain and Roller-Ball pens

Thanks. They both seemed really rigid, which made me question the shape.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Most Contributions

1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
    4. inkstainedruth
      inkstainedruth
    5. jar
      jar
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Files