How Do I Get Mark Twain Fountain Pen?

Maktoob0303

I would love to buy Mark Twain fountain pen but I just can't find the price of it. Also, where can I buy it? I don't want to buy it from online. Some of the boutique have it maybe?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maktoob0303

• thygreyt

• penparadise

• Chrissy

It was released quite time ago (in 2010) and the boutiques do not have it in stock. Although you do no pt want to buy it online, I think that this is the way to find it now... As for the price, it cost around 800 euros when it was released, if I remember well.

Call your nearest boutique and ask them to put in a request to search for the pen. A long while ago they had called it searching the archives in Hamburg. Now everything is computerized so they should be able to conduct a global search for an unsold Twain. Hard to believe they cannot scare one up, but it was a popular pen so it may have sold out.

You may need to be charming and persistent to get them to do a real search and not just say they do not have it in stock in their particular store.

Edited by zaddick

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I fear that searching for a Mark Twain will be fruitless as it was really popular. :(

I searched for a Shaw a couple of years ago. I found several sets available, but no single FP's. I still think Montblanc should consider getting the unsold sets back then selling the FP's and BP's separately. :mellow:

I still think Montblanc should consider getting the unsold sets back then selling the FP's and BP's separately.

No, I don't agree because that will confuse the collector's scene incredible. :o

At the Writers Editions the first (low) limitation numbers always were taken for the sets (except at the Dostojevski). So if a collector finds an Agatha Christie pen (ballpoint or fountain) with a lower number than 5000 he knows that this pen belonged to a set. :wacko:

Don't you think that this has no influence on the collector's value? :huh:

Axel

Montblanc collector since 1968. Former owner of the Montblanc Boutique Bremen, retired 2007 and sold it.
Collecting Montblanc safeties, eyedroppers, lever fillers, button fillers, compressors - all from 1908 - 1929,
Montblanc ephemera and paraphernalia from 1908 to 1929,
Montblanc Meisterstück from 1924 up to the 50s,
Montblanc special and limited editions from 1991 to 2006

ho

I bought mine brand new 2 months ago. Search, some online retailers can get it

how much did you get it for?

This place:

http://weirandsons.ie

(no affiliation, blah, blah, blah) has it (or at least had it, if it hasn't sold already) along with a Jules Verne, a Kafka and a Balzac. They are all second hand and you will pay significantly more than the original retail price. They are in the Grafton Street branch. I don't think they do mail order normally, but you could ask nicely and see what they say.

Or you could also place a 'Wanted' ad in the classifieds here. Not all secondhand pens have been inked.

Edited by bbs

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

No, I don't agree because that will confuse the collector's scene incredible. :o

At the Writers Editions the first (low) limitation numbers always were taken for the sets (except at the Dostojevski). So if a collector finds an Agatha Christie pen (ballpoint or fountain) with a lower number than 5000 he knows that this pen belonged to a set. :wacko:

Don't you think that this has no influence on the collector's value? :huh:

I have been advised that the pens in the sets have a serial number that's still actually included within the total number for FP's and BP's.

However, with respect, I won't bother answering you again because every time I post anything on Montblanc you just say "No." :mellow:

So we will just have to agree to disagree. :)

I have been advised that the pens in the sets have a serial number that's still actually included within the total number for FP's and BP's.

Yes indeed they are included. No disagreement on this. :)

So for example the WE form 1998, Edgar Allan Poe:

The limitation was 14000 fountain pens, 12000 ballpoint pens and 3000 pencils.

Of the fp the no. 00001/14000 to 03000/14000 were put into the set together with the no. 00001/12000 to 03000/12000 of the ballpoint pens and the no. 0001/3000 to 3000/3000 of the pencils. One couldn't buy a pencil separately. The higher numbers were sold separate.

Or with the WE from 2006, Virginia Woolf:

The limitation was 16000 fountain pens, 18000 ballpoint pens and 4000 pencils.

The first 4000 pens of each writing system went into the 4000 sets. So you should not find a single fountain pen with a lower limitation number as 04001/16000, no single ballpoint pen lower than 04001/18000 and no pencil at all because the first numbers were for the sets only.

The idea was (and still is) that all pens of a set should have the same limitation number. And because of the lower quantity of pencils the first numbers of fps and bps were reserved for the sets. This is why I disagreed with your idea that Montblanc should depart the unsold sets and selling the pens separately.

It will confuse the collectors market if one finds a fountain pen for example with a number 02567/xxxxx on it's own. An experienced collector knows that this pen belongs to a set. Same with the ballpoints. And most of the Writers Editions had all their pencils only available within the sets. So I think it's no good if this "system" will be broken.

Axel

Montblanc collector since 1968. Former owner of the Montblanc Boutique Bremen, retired 2007 and sold it.
Collecting Montblanc safeties, eyedroppers, lever fillers, button fillers, compressors - all from 1908 - 1929,
Montblanc ephemera and paraphernalia from 1908 to 1929,
Montblanc Meisterstück from 1924 up to the 50s,
Montblanc special and limited editions from 1991 to 2006

I fear that searching for a Mark Twain will be fruitless as it was really popular. :(

I searched for a Shaw a couple of years ago. I found several sets available, but no single FP's. I still think Montblanc should consider getting the unsold sets back then selling the FP's and BP's separately. :mellow:

i had to buy a set to get it brand new.

number 1987 (to verify above post)... Low numbers HAVE to be sets.

But its cool.. i have a cool pen, and pencil now!

12832443_10207662550376667_9121114705446

Edited by thygreyt

i had to buy a set to get it brand new.

number 1987 (to verify above post)... Low numbers HAVE to be sets.

But its cool.. i have a cool pen, and pencil now!

12832443_10207662550376667_9121114705446

I love your collection. Simple and well treated. I personally don't like "clusters" of collections that people brag about. This is my goal :D May I ask you what type of box are you using?

I started out collecting all sets of the writer series and just in the last few releases switched to just the fountain pens because I found I just never used anything but the fountain pens anyway. It seemed to be a waste of money for me to have the ballpoints and pencils sitting in the boxes and never using them at all.

My purpose in buying my pens is to use everyone I own; which my husband says I have way too many-I say never are never too many. :) as long as you use them

Laurel

I started out collecting all sets of the writer series and just in the last few releases switched to just the fountain pens because I found I just never used anything but the fountain pens anyway. It seemed to be a waste of money for me to have the ballpoints and pencils sitting in the boxes and never using them at all.

My purpose in buying my pens is to use everyone I own; which my husband says I have way too many-I say never are never too many. :) as long as you use them

Laurel

That's what I want to do