How Fine Is The Waterman Carène Ef?

ella343

I've recently decided to upgrade my fountain pen collection to more investment pens, now that I've experimented enough to know exactly what I like: a crisp Japanese (~0.2-0.3mm) fine, relatively stiff.

How is the Carène's EF by comparison? A little bit wider? A lot wider? Would grinding it to the desired width be a good idea?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ella343

• ac12

• pajaro

• miel

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how you are measuring the nib, but I measured the tips of several Pilot XF nibs at about 0.4mm (0.014-0.017 inch with a dial caliper) which is larger than your F measurements. The Pilot F nibs come in about 0.5-0.6mm.

My Waterman F nibs (0.8mm) measure similar to my Pilot M nibs (0.75mm). So I would guess that you want a Waterman EF for your Carene.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I am going by nibs.com's tipping measurements---I don't have the means to measure them myself---but I do know I like Pilot and Sailor's F nibs, and that's roughly the mark at which I'm shooting.

I was planning on acquiring the Carene in an XF in any case, but do you think I would have to have it reground to match that criteria? I don't have the option of trying it out first, mainly because international shipping back and forth would get costly. Also, I've noticed that the horizontal strokes on a Waterman XF (though this was on a Hemisphere) are slightly wider than the vertical ones: is that normal?

Edited by ella343

I am going by nibs.com's tipping measurements---I don't have the means to measure them myself---but I do know I like Pilot and Sailor's F nibs, and that's roughly the mark at which I'm shooting.

I was planning on acquiring the Carene in an XF in any case, but do you think I would have to have it reground to match that criteria? I don't have the option of trying it out first, mainly because international shipping back and forth would get costly. Also, I've noticed that the horizontal strokes on a Waterman XF (though this was on a Hemisphere) are slightly wider than the vertical ones: is that normal?

I don't know specifically how they are measuring the tip. Because what I do is quite similar. Except that I use a dial caliper rather than a micrometer.

What is not able to be measured is the effect of the tip profile/shape. With a round/ball tipping and a dry pen, the ink line would be the same size or narrower than the tipping, because of the small contact area. This is vs. a flattened tip which has a larger contact area.

I do not have a Waterman XF, but as I mentioned I think it will be close to a Pilot F.

The line variation you see is likely from manufacturing variation of the tipping.

If you buy the pen from nibs.com, you can specify that it be ground to match a Japanese F. Then specify which company, as the chart shows Pilot and Sailor are similar, but Platinum is different.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I bought a Carene extra fine nib from nibs.com. The line is thin enough for me, and it is about like a Pilot fine. I thought all the Carene nibs I have are a bit broader than American nibs, from broad (L), medium, fine and extra fine. At $129.00 when I bought my EF from nibs.com, it's a little steep if you add nib grinding costs. Frankly, the extra fine is the only Carene I use, the other three sitting in a pen box.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I don't have an EF but an F in one of my Carenes and this is the same width than my Custom Heritage 91 SF and my Custom Heritage FA.

Yes - my Carene M is broader than my Lamy 2000 M - but the Carene F is for me a really fine fine for a western nib.

So I think you will be happy with an XF.

Edited by miel

Feels like a vote of confidence!

Thank you all very much. I'll try it without getting it customized first. I've always wanted this pen. ^^