Where To Get Information & Where To Buy?

Allsop

I am a very new collector and interested in Chinese and Japanese pens but at the moment wanting to learn as much as I can about pens and Hero pens in particular. So two questions; (1) Any recommendations for good information sites, (other than this network) for Chinese and Japanese pens? (2) What online dealers would people recommend as reliable?

Cheers,

Andrew-Bede

“They took my books because my message was love.

They took my pen because my words were love.

Then they took my voice because my song was love.

Soon they’ll take myself so nothing remains.

But they don’t know that when I'm gone my love will stay.” Kamand Kojouri

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Allsop

• Seele

• Pickwick

• cimmerian

Allsop,

I have to admit that information on Hero, both products and company, is rather spotty in the English language web. In the Chinese language side it is just as bad!

I think the major problem is the lack of interest among the Chinese enthusiasts in spending efforts to do research and documentation; WWII and the civil war certainly did not help with getting contemporary information, be it first- or second-hand.

On the other hand the extant Japanese makers are more proud of their traditions and information are easier to find.

There are plenty of sources for Chinese pens online, but for Hero pens - at least the most popular ones - there's the additional risk of coming across counterfeits. Buy the seller, not the products, as we say: even if you have to pay a little more, it is still better than spending any money at all on an unsatisfactory forgery. With more experience you might venture into Taobao, where some rarities can be found too.

Good luck with your quest!

P.S. I have been collecting Chinese-made pens for quite some time and use them regularly, mostly concentrating on Parkeresque hooded-nib ones. But if I could start afresh, there's a good chance for me to focus on one brand only: William K. Rockman, AKA Guanleming; in general pens under this brand through the many changes of ownership tend to be a bit better than average, and without a significant price penalty, if at all. Tracking down an example built by them during their earliest days in NYC in the mid 1920s could well be a life mission!

Edited by Seele

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

That is very interesting Seele and has given me much to think about! I will do some research into William K. Rockman, AKA Guanleming, any ideas where to start?

Allsop,

There are many favourable reviews on these pens here, and I am guilty of two articles on their history too:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/234429-long-and-nerdy-post-on-guanlemings-pre-history-in-nyc/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/258984-wm-k-rockman-guanleming-the-shanghai-years-part-1/

Another lesser known, but above average brand is Guiguan or Gui Guan, based at SIPF (Shanghai Iridium Point Factory), which is probably no longer extant. My experiences with them have been truly excellent; might be worth a look too.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

I hope I understood your questions correctly

I found useful informations here

http://www.penhero.com/PenGallery/Parker/Parker51ClonesPart1.htm

Mostly regarding the Parker 51 style pens. Some other bits of informations can be recovered from Wikipedia

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanghai_Hero_Pen_Company

The rest is available through the many posts on the forum

https://www.google.it/search?q=hero+fountain+pens+site:www.fountainpennetwork.com&biw=320&bih=460&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj134DblfHMAhVDXRoKHQEsAyoQ_AUIBSgA&dpr=2

As for reliable sellers, for Europe, I've been told the eBay user aspire2it sells genuine Hero and Wing Sung, and he is based in UK. Should you wish for a broader selection, jewelrymathematics has been mentioned multiple times, but he's bases in China, so shipping will take a long time. Last, forum favourite seems to be mentag, formerly known as yespens. These have all been proved to be reliable and mentioned multiple times on FPN, you can search it by yourself, for additional safety, should you wish.

If you're keen on the hero 616, buy the Doctor/Jumbo version.

Allsop,

There are many favourable reviews on these pens here, and I am guilty of two articles on their history too:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/234429-long-and-nerdy-post-on-guanlemings-pre-history-in-nyc/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/258984-wm-k-rockman-guanleming-the-shanghai-years-part-1/

Another lesser known, but above average brand is Guiguan or Gui Guan, based at SIPF (Shanghai Iridium Point Factory), which is probably no longer extant. My experiences with them have been truly excellent; might be worth a look to. Cheers.

Thank you for this very interesting reply and the leads you have given for me to looking.

I hope I understood your questions correctly

I found useful informations here

http://www.penhero.com/PenGallery/Parker/Parker51ClonesPart1.htm

Mostly regarding the Parker 51 style pens. Some other bits of informations can be recovered from Wikipedia

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanghai_Hero_Pen_Company

The rest is available through the many posts on the forum

https://www.google.it/search?q=hero+fountain+pens+site:www.fountainpennetwork.com&biw=320&bih=460&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj134DblfHMAhVDXRoKHQEsAyoQ_AUIBSgA&dpr=2

As for reliable sellers, for Europe, I've been told the eBay user aspire2it sells genuine Hero and Wing Sung, and he is based in UK. Should you wish for a broader selection, jewelrymathematics has been mentioned multiple times, but he's bases in China, so shipping will take a long time. Last, forum favourite seems to be mentag, formerly known as yespens. These have all been proved to be reliable and mentioned multiple times on FPN, you can search it by yourself, for additional safety, should you wish.

If you're keen on the hero 616, buy the Doctor/Jumbo version.

Thanks for this, I will have a look at the sellers you mention & thanks for the web links. Cheers.

• 1 month later...

I'd like to use this topic to ask a question regarding US retailers.

I know that Goulet Pens sells some Jinhao models. They cost double or more compared to eBay sellers but they test each pen so you'll have a very small change of getting a lemon. Are there any other US sellers that do the same?

Who knows what ink lurks in the hearts of pen? The Shadow knows!

I'd like to use this topic to ask a question regarding US retailers.

I know that Goulet Pens sells some Jinhao models. They cost double or more compared to eBay sellers but they test each pen so you'll have a very small change of getting a lemon. Are there any other US sellers that do the same?

His Nibs has a good reputation and I believe is an FPN member, and post information at times. He tests all of his pens before sales here's his link http://www.hisnibs.com

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

Mentag, Laonan, and Jewelerymathematics on EBAY all have good stock on Chinese fountain pens. Mentag has the best Hero stock whilst the others seem to have better Jinhao pens.