8440 Rarity?

PaganArcher

I found this item on ebay. Will it lose most of its value if you ink it?

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mannyonpil

• inkstainedruth

• Hobiwan

• AAAndrew

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So. It went for $88 and change US. Anyone here end up with it? I figured it would be way beyond what I could afford, so I watched but didn't bid. But it inspires hope that another one will maybe show up when I have a bit more spare cash.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

So. It went for $88 and change US. Anyone here end up with it? I figured it would be way beyond what I could afford, so I watched but didn't bid. But it inspires hope that another one will maybe show up when I have a bit more spare cash.

See above....we have a winner...

See above....we have a winner...

Sorry, didn't realize he'd won. Thought he was just still in the hunt.

Mannyonpil, let us know how the nib turns out, and if it's salvageable. I told my husband about this thread and he was all excited about the idea of something fine a point -- until of course he heard the price....

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Yes, I am the winner, assuming it is salvageable. If not I may be the loser.

I will tell you all what it's like when it gets here.

I doubt this is something I can fix myself so I will probably have a pro do it. Anyone have any suggestions?

I don't know what his turn-around time is these days (I know he had some family issues awhile back), but at the first pen show I ever went to I had Mike Masuyama work on a 9128 nib that came to me with the tines bent into an S shape when you looked at it in profile. I had tried to straighten it out with jewelry pliers (on the grounds that whatever I did couldn't make it any worse than it already was). He was the only nib person I talked to that *didn't* just say "Toss it out and get a replacement nib unit" to me (I had talked to three others before I got to his table.

Yes, I am the winner, assuming it is salvageable. If not I may be the loser.

I will tell you all what it's like when it gets here.

I doubt this is something I can fix myself so I will probably have a pro do it. Anyone have any suggestions?

Given the pictures, and Ruth's recommendation, I believe that if/when you see Mr. Masuyama, you'll be pleasantly surprised. I've easily fixed that kind of misalignment myself, but on easier-to-work-with-and -whocares-if-you-destroy-it points like 2668 & such. A nib like this one, I'd also take to my local nib guru. Nice catch, BTW.

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

Thank you for the recommendations. I will contact him once the nib arrives.

I agree that it will probably not be hard to fix but on a nib such as this I do not know that I would trust in my limited experience. I could easily make it worse.

I said I fixed it easily; I didn't mention what it looked like when I was through :lol: #hashtag spaghetti

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

My hand writing is a little odd. I hope you can excuse it. The spelling is suspect as well. I was writing quickly...

It looks great, better than expected! Toothy is indeed OK for something that fine. Just requires a light hand. Again, great catch!! :thumbup:

Best Regards
Paul

– Albert Einstein

Well, I did actually work on the nib myself. It turned out not to be all that hard to mover the tines back. The only thing is that the right tine is still leaning a bit against the left tine. I think that may be making it a little drier than it otherwise would be. I may still send it off for some work by a pro. I am loathe to run a shim or something down the slit to try to straighten the right tine.

Congratulations on getting the nib into working condition.

I'm tempted to show your photo of the writing sample to my husband, but he already freaked at the price.... :rolleyes: I mean, I paid less than that for a Parker 51 Plum Demi -- including shipping. I don't have that many pens that I've paid MORE for -- and that's *just* the nib unit. (Okay, it is pretty rare....) But I'm hoping that he likes one of the fine or EF Estie nibs I already have -- I think he might be satisfied with a 9550 (I have several of those) or 9450, or even a 2550.

The thought has occurred to me that the nib is worth several times the pen it is in.

:lticaptd:

Yeah, I have a no-name with a 14C music nib in it and have been told that the nib alone is worth five times what I paid for the pen.