The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Townsend Love.

cross townsend fp. titanium

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Dr. Saleem Ali

Dr. Saleem Ali

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 May 2016 - 19:22

I first acquired a Cross Townsend Medalist a few years ago .At that time I did not know its real worth but keept it carefully .Then I started to search for other finishes like Lapis and Jade and I was sucessful in getting one Lapis .I ,like some other FPN fellows fell in love with the Townsend .This friday I discovered a new pen shop where I found the Titanium finish with 14 K medium nib and it proved a delightful experiance .This finish has a distinct appeal though it is plain .The intensity of the grey color varies with the amount of light .Overall ,I found it a joy to see and handle the pen .Cross Townsends are lovely and irrestible, and getting pricey day by day .I was fortunate to have mine for 250 u.s. dollars and it was made in U.S.A.20160521_123152.jpg

Edited by Dr. Saleem Ali, 22 May 2016 - 19:23.

Sponsored Content

#2 RMN

RMN

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,943 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 May 2016 - 21:22

Nice finish

Cheapest Townsend, steel nib, chrome body is 149 EUR here.

Tops is the Star Wars line at 475 EUR, and the Japanese Cherry Blossom LE at 785. (Gulp...)

D.ick

~

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

#3 Chris

Chris

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 May 2016 - 12:25

I have to say I agree with you completely. The Townsend is a big pen but well-balanced and, to date, totally reliable. Pick it up, take off the cap, write.
I have... ten, so far. Mostly medium nibs but also a broad.
The steel nibs write well, the gold ones very well. When you add the right ink and paper, all is wonderful.

There are several other models/finishes I'd like to own but ones pocket is only so large.

edit for typo

Edited by Chris, 23 May 2016 - 12:26.

#4 MrThoth

MrThoth

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 May 2016 - 13:16

Tops is the Star Wars line at 475 EUR, and the Japanese Cherry Blossom LE at 785. (Gulp...)

There is an even more limited (45 pieces) gold Cherry Blossom (the standard is platinum) which costs a lot more. I've never seen it advertised openly by Cross; if I hadn't found out about it by sheer luck I'd never have known about it. I think it was solely for the Japanese market.

AT0046CB-37 Japanese Cherry Blossom 23K Heavy Gold Plate 01.jpg

Edited by MrThoth, 23 May 2016 - 13:18.

MrThoth

Scribe, Master of Mystic Lore, Young Curmudgeon

#5 Arklawboy

Arklawboy

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 May 2016 - 17:01

I, too, am smitten by the Townsend.  Most of my humble collection is comprised of modern (i.e., "current issue") Townsends, although I was recently able to pick up the two on the far left (Red Lacquer and Sienna?) and the Titanium in the middle.  I am obsessive enough to have back-ups for the current issue ones, but probably won't add back-ups for the older ones.  There are a couple more I have my eye on, but after that I think I'll slow down for a while.

Oh...and I love the Townsend rollerballs, too!

Attached Images

• TownIMG_20160509_144431730_HDR.jpg

Please see my current classifieds!

Looking for a Cross Century 2000 RB and/or FP in Chrome: http://www.fountainp...r-fp-in-chrome/

#6 MrThoth

MrThoth

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:33

the two on the far left (Red Lacquer and Sienna?)

Correct.

The leftmost one is the Cardinal Red Lacquer (Model No. 686).

The one to its right is the Sienna Lacquer (Model No. 636).

MrThoth

Scribe, Master of Mystic Lore, Young Curmudgeon

#7 Arklawboy

Arklawboy

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2016 - 13:03

Many thanks for the confirmation!

Please see my current classifieds!

Looking for a Cross Century 2000 RB and/or FP in Chrome: http://www.fountainp...r-fp-in-chrome/

#8 WDanderson

WDanderson

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 May 2016 - 04:00

Great topic! I too fell in love the first time I wrote with a Townsend Medalist with a f gold nib. It is the only pen that ever made me find reasons to write for the joy of it. I've picked up half a dozen more, including a Lapis and Titanium. I have over 100 pens including Montblancs and a Parker Premier GT and still nothing beats my Townsend Medalist.

#9 Maine Vintner

Maine Vintner

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 02:38

Cross Townsend opened the door to fountain pens for me! Previously the only nice pens I owned were a Sheaffer Targa ballpoint given to me as a thank you by a high school teacher for my service as home room attendant, and a Bordeaux Montblanc ballpoint that I found.

I was on a flight reading a Wall Street Journal in the early '90s when I saw an ad for the Townsend. The look of the design, the story behind the pen, the idea of a fountain writing instrument - I was captivated. I purchased one that weekend. Own three.

Over time I moved beyond the Townsend; I may need to revisit an old friend.

John

#10 vinper

vinper

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2016 - 17:14

I agree Townsends are delightful pens in any form (I have them in fountain pen form from extra fine through BB, roller ball form, ballpoint form, and mechanical pencil form).  They are always reliable, rock solid performers, with a wonderful guarantee to back them up.  Enjoy your pens!  vinper

#11 sandy101

sandy101

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,529 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 August 2016 - 15:18

I just ordered the Towsend Quartz (medium nib) on the back of this thread. I've loved the colour for a while now, and got a decent price (£145) from Amazon UK (when most retailers are flogging it for £175-£210).

#12 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• 11,944 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 August 2016 - 18:16

A few years ago I bought what I think was a low end Townsend in chrome for $50.  The pen is really too heavy for me to post the cap, but it gives a feeling of quality in every way.  It is very satisfying to use.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#13 basterma

basterma

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 August 2016 - 11:08

I have a newer one and I am impressed with the price and quality of the pen. I also have the thinner version. I don#t understand the pricing for their limited editions though. Way too expensive for what you are getting in my opinion.

#14 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

24 Heures du Mans and Oblique Addict

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,958 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 September 2016 - 17:54

I think I've owned three Townsends, all of which I've moved on because despite liking the style of the pen, I've never really been bowled over by the nibs.  But I always found myself hankering after another, for some reason.  So I've just picked one up on eBay.  I was the only bidder for the pictured pen (which came with a nearly full bottle of ink) and it cost me £25 (less than $33 on current rates).  The seller said it had cost him £150.  It's pretty much immaculate.  It appears to have a medium steel nib but it writes really well.  I've used it all day at work today and like it a lot.  A nice wet nib without being over the top.  I'm really pleased with it and feel that I got a decent bargain......

Attached Images

• townsend.jpg

Edited by Aysedasi, 16 September 2016 - 17:55.

#15 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• 11,944 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 September 2016 - 21:00

I think I've owned three Townsends, all of which I've moved on because despite liking the style of the pen, I've never really been bowled over by the nibs.  But I always found myself hankering after another, for some reason.  So I've just picked one up on eBay.  I was the only bidder for the pictured pen (which came with a nearly full bottle of ink) and it cost me £25 (less than $33 on current rates).  The seller said it had cost him £150.  It's pretty much immaculate.  It appears to have a medium steel nib but it writes really well.  I've used it all day at work today and like it a lot.  A nice wet nib without being over the top.  I'm really pleased with it and feel that I got a decent bargain......

I have one very much like that, gold tone steel medium nib.  These are pens with an impressive feel.  I paid $50 for mine with a bag of cartridges.  It's a beautiful writer.  It's too big for me, but it just gives me a great feeling to hold it. 

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#16 langere

langere

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,328 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 September 2016 - 02:18

My sense is that Cross is an undervalued company among fountain pen users.  The company makes great pens that write well and last a long time.  I really cherish my orange Townsend, which is a really cool color.  Really some of the best metal-bodied pens around.

Erick

Currently in Rotation:

Sailor 1911S "H-M" nib running PR Tanzanite

Pineider La Grande Belleza "F" nib running Black Swan in Australian Roses

Pelikan M205 "F" nib running  Pelikan Olivine

Parker Sonnet "F" nib running Parker Black

#17 Foun10pen

Foun10pen

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 14:50

Does anyone have any information about dimension of Cross Townsend Medalist?

I am planning to purchase one, but different site is giving different dimension, especially the length when cap posted at back for writing.

If anyone can give me an exact figure that would be awesome. Thanks

#18 dadbar

dadbar

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2017 - 16:07

I have a Titanium Cross Townsend that I received at work in 2001 for finishing a major project. It's a really nice pen, but its a little too big for my taste. I actually prefer the original Cross Century.  

Both are great writers.

#19 Flippy

Flippy

Recycled feeds.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2017 - 23:10

My sense is that Cross is an undervalued company among fountain pen users.  The company makes great pens that write well and last a long time.  I really cherish my orange Townsend, which is a really cool color.  Really some of the best metal-bodied pens around.

Erick

A year later, but still very well said.

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of the truth

-Albert Einstein

#20 jslallar

jslallar

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 August 2017 - 13:09

I have 6 and love them all,

1 Lapis Lazuli  - 14K short tines B

2. 10 K Gold - 14K M

3. Medalist  - Steel B

4. Sterling Silver - Steel B

5. Tango Black and Silver - Steel B

6. Tango Black and Gold (I am not sure if it is to be called a Tango or not, but that is the closest description) - 14K M

but Lapis Lazuli has to be the most beautiful fountain pen I own out of a 100 odd fountains

Edited by jslallar, 29 August 2017 - 20:06.

Enjoy your pens
Have a nice day
Junaid

Sponsored Content

|