The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Ink Shoot-Out : Pelikan Edelstein Topaz Vs Pilot Iroshizuku Kon-Peki

edelstein topaz iroshizuku kon-peki

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 pseudo88

pseudo88

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,219 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 16:30

Interesting! I wonder how Ama Iro would fare vs Topaz... It looked way too close to Kon Peki for comfort from  Lamy Vistas in F and M... Had to move it to an xf pilot penmanship to see a difference. 

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Sponsored Content

#22 anibalgb

anibalgb

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 June 2016 - 02:25

How cool is this review!!!

#23 thudthwacker

thudthwacker

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 June 2016 - 14:41

What I love about this review is that, while the reviewer prefers Topaz, the review is thorough enough for me to conclude that I'd prefer Kon-peki.

#24 Newjelan

Newjelan

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2016 - 01:08

Great review. Topaz is one of my all time favourite inks. I have used it in numerous pens and never found it to be dry.

#25 spring3r

spring3r

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 June 2016 - 08:31

Thank you for this wonderful review.

I enjoyed your illustrations.

What I love about this review is that, while the reviewer prefers Topaz, the review is thorough enough for me to conclude that I'd prefer Kon-peki.

Me too - In fact, today I ordered a bottle of Kon-peki (on EBay, directly from Japan), partially as a result of this review.

#26 FPRebel

FPRebel

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 July 2016 - 19:26

+1

This cool review made me smile big...almost laugh! I found it today while intentionally searching Topaz reviews. I have Kon Peki - they are certainly different inks, and like you, a huge nod from me goes to Topaz. What a glorious, clear blue.

On the chromatography, is it my monitor - or does anyone else see a tint of green in the Kon Peki? That was surprising to see - I'm going to repeat it to determine whether it's a color that I see or my iPad screen :P

Thank you for a fun review!

#27 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,462 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 August 2016 - 18:53

I love your images and humor. Thank you.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#28 jasonchickerson

jasonchickerson

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 August 2016 - 00:25

Awesome comparison. Although, I have to say after reading up to the conclusion, Kon-peki seemed the obvious winner. Oh well, Sailor Souten would trounce them both anyway ; )

#29 fireant

fireant

The Good Twin

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 August 2016 - 09:54

Is it my monitor...they look almost identical to me.

How does the sheen compare?

#30 abstract49

abstract49

Vintage

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 August 2016 - 18:41

Enablers, all of you! I am now awaiting (1) Edelstein Topaz, (2) Iroshizuku Kon-Peki, and (3) Sailor Yama-dori.

I don't know why I think I need all of them, but I do.

#31 da vinci

da vinci

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,818 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 03:27

I own Topaz and like the colour, but I don't use it any more after it stained an ink window.

Is Kon-peki kind to pens and easy to clean out?

Edited by da vinci, 20 August 2016 - 03:27.

#32 pepsiplease69

pepsiplease69

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 September 2016 - 19:27

Confession: I tried out Edelstein Topaz a few days back, and man the ink is gorgeous.

I take back all that I said about Topaz without ever trying it out in person.

It's got a brilliant red sheen and reminded me a bit of Sheaffer Skrip Turquoise.

I loaded it up in a super juicy Ahab with a Knox 1.9 nib and a Noodler's refillable Ink Cartridge.

I had to heat set the feed of the Ahab to conform to the Knox nib, but the thing writes gorgeously now.

I got a sample of Topaz from 2015 Pelikan Hub and it might be looking like I would have to plunk down some dollars to get a full bottle of the stuff.

#33 pants

pants

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 20:32

Fantastic review namrehsnoom great fun, not so good for my wallet though :yikes:

#34 aurore

aurore

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 20:25

I beg a pardon for resurrecting this amazing thread iniciated by a second to none review, but I would like to share a couple of thoughts :)

No doubt both inks are excellent. However... with all respect to Topaz, there are two reasons why I prefer Kon-peki way more:

1) unlike Topaz, which is destoyed by UV almost fully in a rather short period of time, Kon-peki even after many weeks exposed to the sunlight in a window stays almost unaffected.

2) Kon-peki - when used on a cheap uncoated paper (unlike Rhodia, Oxford etc.) - is almost waterproof, while bleeding is minimal. 

Indeed this medium azure is not a typical business colour, but if acceptable, Kon-peki is quite suitable since it is a kind of a document-proof ink: lightfast and also very water-resistant (if used on an uncoated paper).

Edited by aurore, 09 June 2018 - 21:28.

#35 Drawing61

Drawing61

Isle of Innisfree

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 June 2018 - 21:39

Thanks aurore. I concur. I have used both inks and both are attractive but Kon-peki is much more versatile.

Love all, trust a few, do harm to none. Shakespeare

#36 Aquaria

Aquaria

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 September 2018 - 04:24

Same here. Kon-Peki has more depth of color, and writes better in more pens for me than Edelstein Topaz. Kon-Peki is also considerably less expensive and has far more availability here in the US than Edelstein.

Edited by Aquaria, 25 September 2018 - 04:26.

#37 MHBru

MHBru

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 September 2018 - 04:59

I admit that I lean toward iroshizuku inks in general but really enjoy these comparisons. The wet/dry difference between these two tips the scale firmly in favor of kon peki for me though. I love wet inks and pens so iroshizuku in a Pelikan m800 is my sweet spot

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: edelstein, topaz, iroshizuku, kon-peki

Sponsored Content

|