Parker 75 Question

deitic_nib

The 75 is one of the best among the C/C Parker pens. I have about thirty of these and I regularly use one (and sometime two) of the ciselé 75s.

Khan M. Ilyas

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• deitic_nib

• Erik Dalton

• imagesbycfm

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow mitto, someone that is as crazy about these P75's as I am. I just counted an there are 24 along with lots of replacement sections, nibs, feeds and converters. Nice to know that I'm not the only one..lol

Good to know your part of the club.

Awww darn it. Do you have a picture of that for reference. I never even knew that existed... It's alright I am still in love with this 75.

Parker75.com answers that Q... inset into the tassie means the clip rotates as you screw the tassie in and more easily ends up in the 'wrong' position + may score the cap, whereas with it inset into the cap it stays put in the correct position during the tightening process.

Glenn.

Wow mitto, someone that is as crazy about these P75's as I am. I just counted an there are 24 along with lots of replacement sections, nibs, feeds and converters. Nice to know that I'm not the only one..lol

Good to know your part of the club.

I just counted mine. There are 39 in all. 16 among them are the Sterling Ciselé finish. And the herd is expected to further grow.

Thank you, Old Salt.

Khan M. Ilyas

I just counted mine. There are 39 in all. 16 among them are the Sterling Ciselé finish. And the herd is expected to further grow.

Thank you, Old Salt.

Gee, I only have 19 and 3 Premieres... a rank amateur!

Glenn.

Hi all,

My father has a handful of Parker 75s that he'd like me to sell. I want to test them first. A few take ink cartridges, what type do I purchase and where is the best place to get them?

Thanks for yout time in advance,

Claytree

-CFM

Claytree Auction & Collector Services
Cataloging, Valuations & Live Online Auctions

@ClaytreeAuction

Hi all,

My father has a handful of Parker 75s that he'd like me to sell. I want to test them first. A few take ink cartridges, what type do I purchase and where is the best place to get them?

Thanks for yout time in advance,

Claytree

'A few take ink cartridges'. What is it that the others take?

You can find parker ink cartridges pretty easily. Just Google where if in case you don't have a stationery store that sells pens.

Khan M. Ilyas

Mitto,

Two of the pens have squeeze bar as shown below. I'm going to purchase a new bottle of ink today so I can test these.

post-4282-0-05338900-1465052909_thumb.jpg

-CFM

@ClaytreeAuction

Apologies in advance if I'm patronising an expert -- no offence intended.

If your father hasn't used the pens in a while, I would leave pen with the nib soaking in a half inch of water with a little washing-up liquid (you may call it soap detergent over there -- aarrggghhh! I can't avoid patronising!) for at least a few hours, and even overnight, before you even test the pens out. Otherwise you might condemn a perfectly good, but clogged, pen to the "not working" pile. Even if it does work without the soak, the ink may well flow better with a good old bath. In fact, now that I mention bath, an ultrasonic bath would be even better, but is not essential (it just does 6 hours work in 3 minutes).

Cheers,

David.

Mitto,

Two of the pens have squeeze bar as shown below. I'm going to purchase a new bottle of ink today so I can test these.

Posted Image26L-88-3.jpg

The ones with the cartridges would also take the squeeze converter that is on the others. The converter is detachable. (These are not permanantly fixed squeeze bars). Likewise the ones with the converters would also take the cartridges. So you can test all of the 75s using the Parker squeeze converter found on the two.

Enjoy your 75s. And, as David said, cleans the pens of the old dried up ink first.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

Apologies in advance if I'm patronising an expert -- no offence intended.

If your father hasn't used the pens in a while, I would leave pen with the nib soaking in a half inch of water with a little washing-up liquid (you may call it soap detergent over there -- aarrggghhh! I can't avoid patronising!) for at least a few hours, and even overnight, before you even test the pens out. Otherwise you might condemn a perfectly good, but clogged, pen to the "not working" pile. Even if it does work without the soak, the ink may well flow better with a good old bath. In fact, now that I mention bath, an ultrasonic bath would be even better, but is not essential (it just does 6 hours work in 3 minutes).

Cheers,

David.

David & Mitto,

I will soak the nibs overnight.

I'm not an expert at all so I really appreciate all the advice. Starting with the 75s since they have cartridges, but there are a number of pens with lever filling systems that will need cleaning and new bladders. Is it worth buying a small ultrasonic unit? Any guidelines on when I should or should not use it?

Over the years I've borrowed mechanical pencils and a few of the cartridge pens from my Dad, they always make a big statement in the office.

Thanks.

-CFM

@ClaytreeAuction

First off, those pens are very easy to disassemble and clean. The press sir filler will just pull off. You don't have to buy any cartridges if you have one of those. Squeeze water in and out of it turn it upside down to make sure the water gets to the other end too. Put your finger over the opening and shake the water around. Squeeze out the water. Keep doing it until the water coming out is clear.

Press the filler mechanism into the first pen you want to test. Place the nib in a bottle of FOUNTAIN PEN only ink. Squeeze 4-6 times and start writing. Don't waste your money on cartridges. By the way, once you're comfortable with the pens it's perfectly ok to use cartridges. They are much more expensive than filling from a bottle. These pens take propriarity cartridges made by Parker and Aurora pen companies.

Your dad is trying to pass something he values on to you. If you can't appreciate it now, take/buy the pens anyway and put them up. After a few years when you revisit them you will see the wisdom in your actions.

Ultronisonic cleaner....they are certainly handy to have. And if you get into pens, you will want one. But if you don't know what your doing you can ruin a pen. Take your time, read the threads here, go on you tube. There are literally thousands of videos on cleaning, inks and just about any model pen u can think of..My advice is start slow. Pick up tools as you go. Someplace like Goulet Pens, you can get a couple bulb syringes, cleaning fluid, brass shims, a 1200 grit polishing pad, I probably forgot something, but, those basics, With plenty of water will take you a long way.

I cut down my bulb syringes into sizes that will attach to most pens. I use them to squeeze fluid both from the back end of the section then again fron the nib end. When they are free flowing you know your section and nib are clean. It's a lot quicker and easier than trying to flush out a nib using a squeeze filler. You can also find them in a drug store as ear syringes.

With three cut to these sizes you can flush nearly any pen section, feed and nib.

Pick up tools as you go. Someplace like Goulet Pens, you can get a couple bulb syringes, cleaning fluid, brass shims, a 1200 grit polishing pad, I probably forgot something.....

Yep, a good quality loupe of around 20X.

Edited by Mangrove Jack

Thanks everyone! I have five of Parker 75 pens cleaned and tested. I've also ordered "Da Book" and "Pen Repair" by Marshall & Oldfield; plus some sacs. Dad has a few cheap pens with no name so those will be my test subjects.

And someone directed me to the restoration forum of FPN; lots of reading to do.

post-4282-0-88541600-1465650369.jpg

-CFM

@ClaytreeAuction

• 6 months later...

I apologise for never replying to your question before but I have not been on this forum for several -silver gnyears and have retuned only days ago, having gifted a first fountain pen (not a Parker75) to a good friend.

. I have been stuck indoors for the last couple of months, having had my toes and part of my left foot removed due to septicaemia (my own fault for having been a careless diabetic for almost 20 years, so beware of piling-on the weight).

It's good to be back, looking at pens again but, goodness, how the prices have risen! I moved to this house in early August but, due to hospitalisation have not yet unpacked any of my boxes containing pens. I have quite a collection o P75s, including ball-points and pencils all in sterling -silver as well as several gold and later French lacquer versions, which are tvery beautiful.

I am not boasting but I love these pens and, if you wish, I will be happy to post pics of them when they are finally unpacked.

Enjoy your 75 in good health and have, hopefully, a great 2017. Best wishes, Al

Sorry to haer about your illness and removal of some vital body parts as a result. Hope you enjoy your recovery.

Yes, would like to see pics of your 75 collection.

My prayers are with you, alastair smith.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

Very nice and it cleaned up very well. I have about half a dozen of the sterling Parker 75s and some more in other finishes but none of them have the early section with metal threads.

I will leave a section immersed overnight in purified (RO) water without getting any of the white fogging on the plastic but I have observed this type of marring from longer exposures or perhaps from using tap water instead of RO purified water.

The early U.S. made Parker 75 sections (even without the metal thread) are hard to find as spare parts. It seems that I have to buy a pen if I want just a section.

All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.