Parker 75 Question

deitic_nib

Hey all,

So I just came across a used Parker 75 on Ebay. Snagged it for an alright price and it just came in the mail today. I noticed that the nib assembly has a 0 marking on it and several other notches. How do I go about using the adjustable nib, I tried turning the nib, but it wont budge and I'm afraid of breaking the feed. The nib, however does come in and out. It just doesn't rotate.

Is it the bottom of the section that rotates or the nib?

Thanks!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• deitic_nib

• Erik Dalton

• imagesbycfm

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do NOT force it or you WILL break the feed. And 75 nibs are not cheap.

The nib is firmly attached to the feed. It should not come off.

The end of the feed rotates in the section.

If the tube in the section that the feed is inserted into is full of dried ink, that ink could be cementing the feed to the section.

If so, then you need to either use an UltraSonic Cleaner to blast away the old dried ink, or soak the nib/section (nib down) in a cup of water, changing the water every few hours until the ink between the feed and section has softened/dissolved enough to rotate the feed. If you have to soak, patience, it could take days to gradually dissolve enough ink to loosen the feed.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Thanks so much! Yea I think its the ink, i can only twist it a smidgen before it starts crackling. I'm soaking it right now.

Thanks so much! Yea I think its the ink, i can only twist it a smidgen before it starts crackling. I'm soaking it right now.

Crackling? The feed might already be cracked.

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

Oh, no it's not. I took the entire assembly out and it's intact. I think it was just crusty ink.

As for the actual procedure behind the mechanism, do I first take out the assembly from the section and then put it back in at the position where I want it to be, or can I just twist it from the seated position inside the section?

Edited by Eines-Tages-Bald

I have the early 75, and I simply rotate the nib assembly.

www.SFPenShow.com

You would be able to twist it and adjust it from the seated position once the section / collector is clean of the old dried up ink.

Khan M. Ilyas

I read somewhere on FPN that the section of the Parker 75's get a whitish smoky appearance if it is kept in water for long periods. This cannot be reversed. So, would suggest that you fill the pen with water and leave it nib down in a glass to soak with water only up to the point where the nib meets the section of the pen - the idea being to keep the pen soaking but the black grip section out of water.

Edited by Mangrove Jack

Oh! I just took out the section! The section had a bit of ink crusted around the ring at the bottom, but I guess I just wipe it instead.

Thanks everyone! I'll try rotating the assembly tonight, hopefully the action will be smoother.

The red section P75?

Nope, black.

The feed on mine has a narrow tail, that goes through the section.

The later feeds have a wider tail.

www.SFPenShow.com

Nope, black.

The feed on mine has a narrow tail, that goes through the section.

The later feeds have a wider tail.

... the later French producton 75s.

Khan M. Ilyas

I've been rather occupied with medical school applications, but finally have some time to update you guys.

The Parker 75 lives! The feed is rotating freely.

The writing is pretty smooth with a bit of feedback similar to a namiki falcon. I guess the nibs are pretty similar in shape as well.

The design is something that I have been pining for for a long time now. The cisele pattern is just an understated yet elegant feature. It's exactly what I look for in my pens. Writing with this pen was more enjoyable than I thought it was going to be. The triangular grip is extremely comfortable and combined with the adjustable nib is perfect for my slanted grip.

Here's some pics!
fpn_1464225302__imag1397.jpg
fpn_1464225287__imag1396.jpg
fpn_1464225257__imag1395.jpg
fpn_1464225227__imag1392.jpg
Edited by Eines-Tages-Bald

Man, you have a nice first year 75 pen. Metal section threads and flat tassies. The section ring / band should be 0 marked. Also, the section should have long ridges extending to the end of section (upto where the barrel threads on the plastic part). Could you post good pictures here?

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

Thank you! Yea this pen is splendid and bears all the hallmarks of a first year pen. I can't stop taking it apart and admiring every little bit of it.

Yep will do, just need to wait for the sun to come out so I can take pictures.

Only thing 'missing' is the clip inset into the tassie rather than the body of the cap... so very early indeed but not one of the first.

A great find... I hope it gives you years of writing pleasure.

Glenn.

Awww darn it. Do you have a picture of that for reference. I never even knew that existed... It's alright I am still in love with this 75.

Ah ok I see. Wow that's such a small difference. I wonder why they made that change...?

Here are more closeups of the pen for your guy's pleasure. Apologies for the photo quality, I only have a camera phone right now.

fpn_1464287532__imag1404.jpg

fpn_1464287510__imag1403.jpg

fpn_1464287491__imag1402.jpg

fpn_1464287458__imag1401.jpg

fpn_1464287418__imag1399.jpg

fpn_1464287387__imag1398.jpg

Great pen! I too am a big fan of these. I think I have about a dozen but I rarely use them because they are so precious to me...which makes no sense as I'm writing this.lol..so I'm inking one up now...thanks for a great thread. Enjoy your 75.