Have The "i Don't Need Another Pen" Thoughts Hit You Before?

aerolord

1) Buy fountain pen

2) Find just one flaw

3) Regret not buying that "Other pen"

4) Fpn forums: New ideas

The above repeats endlessly. Except for one pen I have ( Waterman Carene). I miss it so much now that it is in service.

I like flowers, mother of pearl, dip nibs, blue, green or red inks. I also like flowers, Frida Kahlo's paintings and Josephine Baker's songs. Did I mention flowers and mother of pearl?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Dickkooty2

• Cryptos

• Pentrawler

Agree with saying "want" instead of "need."

I have years and years of wanting fountain pens penduluming with wanting just one. *Laughs*

Finally, I seem to have struck a balance, and after having owned (not all at once) at least a couple hundred pens, I'm comfortable with my +/- 20 that I use and +/- 20 memento pens that were given to me or are souvenirs of travels. (I still have some pens in the to-sell category that I don't count as *mine* anymore.)

I still acquire "new" pens, via trade (so the numbers don't go up), and there is one "last" pen I do want sans urgency. Over the past couple of years, I've found much more pleasure in using what I have than in the acquisition. (Thanks, Nakaya!) (Although I haven't been using only my Nakayas. I'm not a fanatic.)

I've found relief in shifting my focus from "Oo! New pen!" to writing (or, occasionally, drawing). I still get caught in the vortex of choosing inks, though, but at least I'm not fussing over too many pen choices and getting down to the writing faster.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

My weakness is bargains. I see one and think that this opportunity will not repeat.

As far as wanting a certain pen, such as a Pilot 823, I find it easy to wait. I figure that pen will always be available, so no need to buy it now. Wait until I dream up some silly reason for buying it.

Alan

At the 2002 or 2003 San Francisco pen show I bought a pen from Rick Propas, aka The PENguin. I said, while handing over the money, in a funereal voice, "I don't need another pen."

To which he replied, "Nobody in this room needs another pen."

Well, that was a few years back, I went on not needing another pen, and I seem to own quite a few more. One inducement to buy pens is that if I'm feeling restless and in a mood to buy books, I can tell myself that a pen is smaller than a book.

So I've been saving space if not money.

When I found this hobby I had a Parker Vector from high school that had sat unused for almost two decades. I promptly bought a ridiculous number of pens in a very short time. I think I had like 14 at one point...I've since found what I like and sold off most of the first slew of pens I bought. I currently have only:

1. Pelikan M405 (blue striped)

2. Lamy 2000

3. Pilot Decimo

4. Franklin Christoph Model 03

5. Lamy Studio (stainless steel)

Honestly, I'm really content with these. The only pen I'm still thinking about is a Pelikan M400 in green stripes (to go with the blue one I have, of course!). But then I sometimes think I might like a slightly larger Pelikan instead - maybe an M600...but I only want to buy one more pen and it has to be the RIGHT one! So, I waffle and buy nothing...months go by and I see a sale on the green striped M400 and the process starts all over again...I know I don't NEED any new pens. In fact, I could easily sell two or three of the ones I have! But I have enough inks that each pen has a dedicated ink and I really like it that way. So...here I am, back to square one. I'm sure I'll figure it out the next time I have an extra 300 bucks in my hands...LOL.

Every time I look at my rotation I say to myself some version of: "This has gone too far."

Also when I contemplate the nearly-equal number of pens that need to go to the shop. It's not hard, really, but my doctor tells me there's a pill for it.

Yeah, that thought hit me at some point. I buried that emotion/thought deep, deep in my blackened soul and heart. It was a goofy though - silly, irrelevant even. I'm better now.

I think I'm set for the next few years.

Do any of you have similar thoughts and actually stop buying pens(At least for a period of time)?

Yes, I've gotten that thought any number of times. And I've acted on it. I've spent a couple of stretches measured in years when I have just not bought fountain pens. Personal finances have had a big role to play in this.

But I have stuck with it. And then last year I fell off the wagon and made several purchases. But that was after years of abstinence. And then I said "I don't need any more fountain pens," once again, and stuck to it.

And then a couple of days ago I saw an offer on Flea-Bay for two Jinhao black transparent 599s for 89¢ each and I went for it. So my latest period of abstinence based on not needing fountain pens lasted for about six months. But I think that the $1.78 I've paid will not hurt even my finances.

If I ever win the lottery I am going to buy such a ton of vintage fountain pens, and get them all fixed up nicely. I'll make so many new friends among the high end vendors and repair people then.

Till then I'm crawling back up onto the wagon.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

And then a couple of days ago I saw an offer on Flea-Bay for two Jinhao black transparent 599s for 89¢ each and I went for it. So my latest period of abstinence based on not needing fountain pens lasted for about six months. But I think that the $1.78 I've paid will not hurt even my finances.

Dear ISW,

Far from this latest purchase being a demonstration of your ability to sustain abstinence for a long period and an admission of falling off the wagon (Hi, my name is ISW). this purchase demonstrates your good taste in design, indisputable judgement in quality, and lightning-fast mathematical prowess in recognizing a good deal!

What more positive reinforcement of the rewards of pen purchase does one need?

Hats off to you!

Whenever I entertain the "I don't need another pen" idea, I remember what Shakespeare said- "Reason not the need.." And I buy another one.The search for perfection is also a fine motive!

Yeah, I'm there.

I own two pens and have been interested in pens for a couple of months.

I don't think I need any more pens.

I might decide I want another pen or two, but that's an entirely different matter.

I don't think I need any more pens.

I might decide I want another pen or two, but that's an entirely different matter.

EMPHASIS ADDED TO ORIGINAL POST!

You betcha!

I'm actually thinking this these days. I only own a Pilot Metropolitan and have been craving a Kaweco Sport as a portable pen but think a ballpoint would be more convenient as such a pen...

Edited by MuddyWaters

I've only felt that I needed a new fountain pen a few times in my life. Need and want are two entirely different issues. I certainly did not need any pound cake last night but I certainly wanted some; so I baked a cake. Nothing wrong with that as long as fulfilling a want does not create an unmanageable problem.

I certainly did not need any pound cake last night but I certainly wanted some; so I baked a cake.

More importantly, what is this pound cake recipe? I feel like I need want some today!

Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel.

~ Mark Twain

----------------

Pen and Inkstagram!

Well, mine just did hard, as I am writing with my second new Pilot Custom 823. Prior to owning the 823, I was playing with pens with different price range, most of them were okay, but none of them amaze me, until I tried the 823. It was the single best writing experience I have with any pen. It was so good that I decided to get another one, with the same nib size, just different colour.

Now in my mind, I am having the thoughts of "I'm good for the next few years, I don't need other pen".

I don't see the need where I need to experience other more expensive pens to satisfy my writing experience, and I probably will bound to get more disappointment.

I think I'm set for the next few years.

Do any of you have similar thoughts and actually stop buying pens(At least for a period of time)?

I'm probably there, and looking to pare down the collection. I knew that was so when I saw a LE Sailor in a gorgeous blue-gray and said, 'Sorry, it'll have to jump into my pocket.'

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I didn't purchase any new pens for a year! But then I bought 3 in a row. Considering a 4th. Maybe I'll go another year and not purchase any until 2017.

I have considered doing a few PIFs with the pens I no longer reach for with frequency. There's something quite sad about a pen that sees no use.

- The poster formerly known as HollyGolightly

I don't need another pen, at least not for the next few months. Not because I found the ultimate pen but simply because I have learn to appreciate the personality of the various pens I own.

I have been looking for the grail pen for years, accumulating fifty some pens, from all countries, from low to high end, vintage or new, etc. None can be called the ultimate pen.

The last pen I bought was last June. My pleasure since then has been to switch from a stiff Aurora to a smooth Omas or GVFC, then to a beautiful Pelikan. I have been rotating pens weekly for a year now without wanting another pen.

Cheers,

Pierre

My weakness is bargains. I see one and think that this opportunity will not repeat.

Yup.

Did I *need* a fourth Snorkel (especially since I already had a black one)? Not really; but for $20 US plus sales tax I got one with a Palladium silver factory stub nib. Did I need a 1926 Parker Lucky Curve in a Montblanc case last summer -- especially since I can't afford to have it restored at the moment? No. But for $12 it was worth it. Did I need that Cross Solo I picked up last weekend, as a sentimental memorial from a friend who died last fall -- since I don't have a converter for it? Probably not. But it was pretty (bright red with black trim), and under $20. And a mutual friend told me "Hey, there's a booth selling stuff out of Helen's house and I know you like fountain pens...." Did I need yet another Cedar Blue 51 Vac? Maybe not, but it was $25 and has a 16K gold-filled cap....

Did I need that Parker 41 that I picked up last August for 50¢ at an estate sale? Um... yes? :rolleyes: (Hey, that pen and the aforementioned Lucky Curve are getting me my 15 seconds of fame on a local version of "Antiques Roadshow" at some point -- one of the "man on the street" filler segments -- and the next episode is tonight. :thumbup: [For those in Western PA, the next episode of Pittsburgh's Hidden Treasures is on KDKA at 7:30 PM.])

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."