Three Nice Pens Or One Nakaya

Rsahd

If you had $700ish, assuming you don't currently have a Nakaya, Would you rather buy a few nice $150-$200 pens (i.e. Lamy 2000, custom 74, sailor 1911, M200) or one custom ground Nakaya?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• flipper_gv

• dapprman

• ethernautrix

I have too many pens so I would take the one nicer pen. However, if you are still exploring pens and do not have too many, go for the multiple pens. You can get custom grinds on cheaper pens too. :)

Edited by zaddick

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Had this on my mind last year. I chose to go with a custom & a few other pens over the Nakaya.

I have too many pens so I would take the one nicer pen. However, if you are still exploring pens and do not have too many, go for the multiple pens. You can get custom grinds on cheaper pens too. :)

Excellent response!

I always vote for the one pen. You'll end up getting it anyway.

By far the best response. Go for the Nakaya, ESPECIALLY since there is a price increase coming soon.

Same goes for "3 pens" , you will get them anyway, but with 3 more now you will have a bigger sample to make decisions later. If you are young you will have the money for Nakaya later, if older like really old, get the expensiest one. ;-) This is from the perspective of an old person.Hhe,he,he

We settle for so much in our lives. At a certain point in life, you realize you're not going to be a rock star, or marry a rock star. You're not going to go to Harvard or get a job on the ground floor of the next Apple Computer. You're probably not going to own a Ferrari or a house big enough to call a "compound". You probably will never have an outfit to wear to The Oscars or to meet the President.

But you can, conceivably, own A Great Pen, a thing of uncompromising quality that a human being can afford. I'll not discourage you.

The definition of such a thing, however, is the start of an argument that could go on for years. What is A Great Pen? Is it the magnificence of its surface or the experience of writing with or the particular marks it makes?

Anyone want to get philosophical about the elements of Greatness in a writing instrument?

Another perspective: Three nice inks or only one? I know I'd rather enjoy the three inks.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

I've been a new FP user who had to try "everything." I currently have 6 Nakayas and another on order. Just to say, I've been there.

If I hadn't tried all the pens I have tried, I would still be curious and want to try them. In trying so many pen makes and models, I have discovered gems (in my eyes) I would not have found by buying only the very most "in" pens of the moment. I would regret not having found some of them. Of course, some of the pens I found might be great finds for some one else, but they don't float my boat.

And, you know? There are still pens out there I have never tried that I would like to try some day.

My advice to you would depend on where you see yourself going with pen collecting. If you plan to stop acquiring pens at some small number - no more than you can count on your fingers and toes, say - definitely go for the Nakaya. Don't compromise. Every pen should be a paragon among writing instruments.

Lastly, not one or all three of the alternative pens you mention would tempt me in the least to forego a Nakaya. YMMV.

Let us know what you decide and how you like your new Nakaya. And remember: If you don't show us photos, it didn't happen.

Happy writing!

David

I would get the 3 pens, cuz I can't bring myself to drop that much $$$ on a single pen. Even though it is less than my old Nikon D70 (which is now obsolete). And I would not pay the $2,000+ for some of the current digital cameras. Each hobby has a different level of cost pain that I stop at.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Stephen Brown presents an alternative point of view.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Certainly an intersting view - he seemed to be trying to say he realises the amount of work that goes in to the urushi laquer, he just does not think the end results are worth the costs. I do like his reviews, but you can tell his personal preferences as his views on the costs of limited edition Pelikan M800s tend to be along the lines of 'worth saving a month or two extra for'.

I do agree though, unless you understand and enjoy the urushi laquer, then you do need to question why you would want one of these. Personally I do understand and I am tempted. I'd also be interested to know if Nakaya have any wabi-sabi versions.

I love his reviews, but sbre brown likes big heavy pens because his hands are huge and he has a baroque sensibility that is delightful but that I don't share. His personality comes across in his reviews and his selection of pens. That is why I enjoy his reviews. Even his lack of interest in the Nakaya tells me how much I will love them.

The Nakayas are the opposite of both baroque and heavy. My three have a quiet beauty that I like very much. I can write with them without being distracted. They feel almost like ceramic.

My Custom 74 and Pelikan 200 have mostly sat in their pen case for the last couple of years but I am glad I have them. The Custom 74 especially makes a good drawing and grading pen.

It's an interesting question. I've no idea what a Nakaya is like in person, never felt urushi, but I certainly find them beautiful. But especially as I haven't been experienced with fountain pens for long--I've never had a proper[1] Pelikan; never tried a FA nib; never gotten a custom pen from someone like Newton Pens; and I could do all three of those for less than the price of a Nakaya--yeah, I'd go for the three.

[1] I actually have a Pelikan Pharo, oddly enough, but that's not like an M2xx or whatever, you know what I mean.

Nakayas used to be on my wishlist, but they're not anymore. For that price I would have expected a nib that is special in some way, and I understand they're not really, and you can find those nibs in other Platinum models.

That would be my sticking point too. Urushi is very nice an all, but Nakaya seem to have the same problem that Pilot do - namely being unwilling to put interesting nibs on some of their pens. As the Nakaya nibs are only standard platinum versions you're not likely to get much of a difference (if any) in the nib to paper part of the experience. If you're looking to just collect a beautiful object then that's one thing, but for me it's about writing and a pretty pen needs more than to be just pretty.