The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pelikan Four Seasons Maki-E (Most Valuable Modern Pelikans?)

pelikan maki-e

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 learningsquare

learningsquare

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 13:48

Having started to become interested in the Pelikan maki-e limited editions, I recently became aware of the Pelikan Four Seasons set of four M1000-sized pens released in 2000. As it was the very first Pelikan maki-e release and limited to 20 units for each of the pens in the set, I imagine that coming across a pen from the set—not to mention a complete set—is extremely rare (and apparently the full set came with a special box to hold all four pens). I wouldn't be surprised if the Four Seasons pens are among the most valuable modern Pelikans.

I was just wondering if anyone had any additional information on the Four Seasons set or perhaps even owned one or more of the pens in the set. All I can find are occasional references here and there and an old listing on Airline International.

Sponsored Content

#2 nyx_h

nyx_h

Rhodium Trimmed

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 May 2016 - 16:45

I don't think these are the *most* rare, since there were some pieces that were only made once or twice and auctioned off, but they are definitely quite valuable and hard to find pens. Pelikan has some information on their website here: http://www.pelikan.c...our-seasons-set

Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel. 

Mark Twain

----------------

Pen and Inkstagram!

#3 learningsquare

learningsquare

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 16:51

I don't think these are the *most* rare, since there were some pieces that were only made once or twice and auctioned off, but they are definitely quite valuable and hard to find pens. Pelikan has some information on their website here: http://www.pelikan.c...our-seasons-set

I encountered that link earlier: the pens described are from the 2012 Four Seasons set, which has no direct relation to the original Four Seasons set from 2000.

#4 nyx_h

nyx_h

Rhodium Trimmed

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 May 2016 - 17:48

I encountered that link earlier: the pens described are from the 2012 Four Seasons set, which has no direct relation to the original Four Seasons set from 2000.

Oh, sorry! I didn't even know there were two different sets. Learn something new every day :) Maybe Sargetelon could help you out, he's the resident bird whisperer :lol:

Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel. 

Mark Twain

----------------

Pen and Inkstagram!

#5 sargetalon

sargetalon

The answer to life, the universe, and everything

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,107 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 May 2016 - 05:36

The original Four Seasons are beautiful and quite scarce. I don't think that you will find any more information than what you have already linked to in your original post. I would not say these are the most valuable though. While if found for sale, they are likely to be quite expensive, there are other limited edition pieces (Maki-e and others) of just 1 piece made that could be thought of as more valuable for instance. Also, "value" is a subjective measure that is variable and hard to gauge. Thanks for resurrecting the memory of those 4 beauties though.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count.  My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

#6 Lemajada

Lemajada

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 August 2016 - 15:36

Thank you. I am a collector of Maki E pens, how much I would like to find these.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pelikan, maki-e

Sponsored Content

|