Initiating The Next Generation

Mathematics Teacher

I started the school year off with a cup on the desk in my classroom with 4 Jinhao 599A demonstrators, and my 15 Algebra freshmen would race to class so that they could have first claim in using one to take notes or complete assignments. As the interest sustained and the school year progressed, I continued to add other inexpensive pens to the cup, thus allowing more availability (Hero 616, 3 Pilot Plumix's that I bought for nib swapping, a few 1960's Sheaffer and Waterman school pens, a Jinhao x450 & x750), enough to go around.

They love using them, discuss ink preferences, as I have each pen loaded with a different ink, and have each started to gravitate toward certain pens that fit them best. They also never complain when it's time to take notes since it's an excuse to write.

Today was my birthday, and since I prefer giving more than receiving, each of my students in this class arrived to find a small gift bag with their own brand new Jinhao 599 (black, red, blue, or neon green) and a couple ink cartridges. Their reactions were worth it! Before long, they were all ready to write, and a little more educated on how to care for their pen.

I'm always happy to do my part in promoting the joy of fountain pens.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arkanabar

• Uncle Red

• Mathematics Teacher

• Nightly

Top Posters In This Topic

This made me tear up a little. That was so kind of you to do that and I'm sure these kids are going to remember you forever.

Second post I'm reading today of a teacher getting their students into FP's. I only wish I had a teacher like that 11 years ago! Bravo!

Really nice!

I normally teach science (Physics degree) but I've also taught math at all levels. As much fun as Calculus may be, I think my favorite course was to teach Algebra 1 to eighth graders. One thing that always startled my math students at all levels is that I liked work done in pen. To me, the mistakes were a record of what you've already tried, not something to erase. Most math teachers seem to prefer pencil because it's a lot neater to erase mistakes.

I guess that's not how my mind works, but I'm also mainly a science teacher. I'm glad to hear that more pure math teachers are encouraging the use of pen.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!