Temperature Sensitive Ink

bardiir

Is there any Ink that is fountain pen compatible and does go transparent (permanently) when heated up?

I've seen this crowd funding campaign: https://igg.me/at/rocketbook/x/13511842

Basically this is a notepad which comes with a smartphone app then and it is reusable by heating it in a microwave, works with the pilot frixion pens because they fade away with heat.

I think the idea is really great but I wouldn't really like to use a ballpoint frixion pen to use the notepad, I'd rarther use my fountain pen... so any hints? :)

Should be around 60°C that it goes transparent, which is the temperature when the frixion ones do turn transparent and to which the notepad is designed.

Otherwise I'm probably going to buy one and then print own pages, they do provide the templates anyway.

My Pens/Nibs (inked/active): Lamy Studio/Vista/Joy (XXF slight-flex custom | 14k EF | EF | F | 14k M | M | B | 14k 1.1 custom | 1.1 | 1.5 | 1.9), TWSBI Diamond 580 (F | Pendleton BadBoy | Zebra G | F.P.R. semi-flex), Pilot Falcon EF, Penkala Vintage 14k semi-flex, Pilot Parallel (2.4 | 3.8 | 6.0)

http://www.fp-ink.info/img/button.pngI'm still looking for help/data/supporters/sponsors for my Ink Database - It already contains over 900 Inks but is still low on data about the inks except on the Inks I got myself or where I found nice data sheets. So Im looking for these: InkSamples mailed to me, Permissions to use InkReviews - preferable by people who have a lot of InkReviews online, InkReviews mailed to me so I can scan them, Sponsors that will help me to finance InkSamples, People willing to trade InkSamples (list of available Inks from me is available via PM request - please include available Inks)

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• rafapa

• gweimer1

• bardiir

Top Posters In This Topic

Do a google search here on FPN, someone has already tried it and had quite a bit of fun.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 6 years later...
9 hours ago, gweimer1 said:

Has anyone tried this?

Thermochromic Fountain Pen Ink

Fascinating!

The linked web page mentions something I have never seen specified before now. The maximum size of solid particles in fountain pen inks.

Quote....

They must be reduced so that the ink can flow smoothly from the pen tip. We reduced the particles to a quarter of their original size. Their width is 0.2 to 0.35 microns, which is about 400 times narrower than a human hair.

So particles up to 0.35 micron are OK. That is 0.00035mm or 0.0000138inch.

But the original particle size, four times larger, is too big for a fountain pen. That would be 1.4 micron, or 0.0014mm, or 0.000055inch.

Now I see why fountain-pen-safe pigment inks can be expensive.