The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Has Anyone Noticed Almost All Judaism/israel-Related Pens Seem To Be Italian?

judaism israel judaicia delta montegrappa urso visconti stipula

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Shavely Manden

Shavely Manden

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2016 - 00:31

Since I'm converting to Judaism (and like Judaism-inspired designs), I was looking into Judaism-related fountain pens, and I was struck by a curious trend: almost all the pens I could find related to Judaism or Israel are made by Italian companies. And it's not just one company or anything...a lot of major Italian brands seem to have made one at some point. For example:

• Delta Israel 60th anniversary
  • Montegrappa Fortuna Shema
  • Omas Israel 50th Jubilee
  • Stipula Israel 65th anniversary
  • Urso Mezuzah
  • Visconti Twelve Tribes of Israel
  • Visconti Jewish Bible

By contrast, the only non-Italian Judaica pens I've found are the Bexley Israel 50th anniversary and the Curtis Australia State of Israel 60th anniversary. It's kind of an odd trend...I can understand Japanese companies not being interested in making Jewish pens, but you'd think that the US or Germany would make more. Is there some cultural or economic connection between Italy and Israel that would encourage this sort of design from Italian makers, or is this just a strange coincidence?

Edited by Shavely Manden, 19 May 2016 - 00:32.

Sponsored Content

#2 mongrelnomad

mongrelnomad

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 15:52

I know that the Israel 50th (of which I own one) was commissioned by Dana Pens in Tel-Aviv. As to the others, I'm guessing they too may have been commissions, or otherwise Jews buy a lot of pens ;)

Too many pens; too little writing.

#3 DustyR

DustyR

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2016 - 17:29

My guess is that the Italian pen makers you mention simply make way more commemorative / LE pens than other makers (and apparently in greater numbers per edition).

Since I'm converting to Judaism (and like Judaism-inspired designs), I was looking into Judaism-related fountain pens, and I was struck by a curious trend: almost all the pens I could find related to Judaism or Israel are made by Italian companies. And it's not just one company or anything...a lot of major Italian brands seem to have made one at some point. For example:

• Delta Israel 60th anniversary
  • Montegrappa Fortuna Shema
  • Omas Israel 50th Jubilee
  • Stipula Israel 65th anniversary
  • Urso Mezuzah
  • Visconti Twelve Tribes of Israel
  • Visconti Jewish Bible

By contrast, the only non-Italian Judaica pens I've found are the Bexley Israel 50th anniversary and the Curtis Australia State of Israel 60th anniversary. It's kind of an odd trend...I can understand Japanese companies not being interested in making Jewish pens, but you'd think that the US or Germany would make more. Is there some cultural or economic connection between Italy and Israel that would encourage this sort of design from Italian makers, or is this just a strange coincidence?

#4 ggrosjean

ggrosjean

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2016 - 19:04

I know this won't necessarily be well received, however, it occurs to me that the makers of these pens (I own several on the list as well as ones that are not) are prepared to show support for Israel.

There is a market for them and the Italian pen makers see an opportunity.

#5 Trom

Trom

nothing to say

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 May 2016 - 20:01

No Montblanc, no Pelikan doing Israel-pens, but Parker did the Duofold Centennial - Israel 50th Limited Edition.

see, http://parkercollect...tededition.html

#6 ggrosjean

ggrosjean

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 May 2016 - 22:43

Yes, I saw one of those on a vintage list of pens for sale a week ago and I'm trying to get my hands on it.

#7 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

Pen Snob

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,223 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 23:13

I know this won't necessarily be well received, however, it occurs to me that the makers of these pens (I own several on the list as well as ones that are not) are prepared to show support for Israel.

There is a market for them and the Italian pen makers see an opportunity.

There is quite a history of Italian companies making pens for the Jewish community.  Columbus was very focused on that market in their early years.  This was in the 1920's long before the creation if Israel.

2018 San Francisco Pen Show        
August 24-26th, 2018
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

#8 zanio

zanio

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 07:52

...and the founder of Aurora, Isaia Levi, was Jewish.

#9 jmccarty3

jmccarty3

There is no "c" in Sheaffer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,768 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 May 2016 - 15:08

IIRC, OMAS also made some Islamic-themed pens.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

#10 swordofthedove

swordofthedove

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:14

Visconti has Jewish, Christian and Muslim themed pens.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: judaism, israel, judaicia, delta, montegrappa, urso, visconti, stipula

Sponsored Content

|