New Here - First Pen Thoughts

hhcave

I am looking to get myself a high end pen to mark the completion of a milestone in my life. I would like to be able to use this pen every day - regular work, travelling, etc. For reference, I am currently 26 years old and work in finance/investment.

Given the requirement for every day use, and given that I travel a lot (plane pressure causing leakage?) - my initial thoughts have been that ballpoint could be the answer. Having said that, fountain pens (and rollerballs) create a much nicer sensation when writing, not to mention the sheer beauty of fountain pen nibs. With fountain pens, my primary concern is that using it in an office/client meetings etc. could come off as a little pretentious - especially given my age? With rollerballs, I am concerned about leakage if using it every day, travelling etc. - one other point with rollerballs is that I cannot stand when the pen doesn't write smoothly due to drying ink (I understand this is a problem with Montblancs).

Please let me know your thoughts on what I should explore further - I am open to suggestions. My upper limit price-wise is US$1,000 maximum.

Thanks!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hhcave

• ac12

• TheRealMikeDr

• Guardy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Visconti Homo Sapiens. I just received one that I bought from a member here, BillP. Elegant enough to make a statement, understated enough to pass by unseen if you wish. The material is excellent in hand and durable according to every review I have seen.

And the nib. It's like writing on a river of sheer joy.

Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell.

Modern pens and air travel are not an issue as long as you keep the pen nib up and only use it once cruising altitude is reached.

With fountain pens, my primary concern is that using it in an office/client meetings etc. could come off as a little pretentious - especially given my age? With rollerballs, I am concerned about leakage if using it every day, travelling etc. - one other point with rollerballs is that I cannot stand when the pen doesn't write smoothly due to drying ink (I understand this is a problem with Montblancs).

Please let me know your thoughts on what I should explore further - I am open to suggestions. My upper limit price-wise is US$1,000 maximum.

Thanks!

Interesting question. Not what writes well. Lots of $50 pens do that. Rather, what fits the business case and the taste of a young finance geek. I agree that pulling out a big MB and especially a gold-trimmed pen creates the impression that you are trying to make one. Impression that is. Trying to impress is not cool.

Then, there is the propriety of it all. General rule in the orient is not to have bits of kit that are better than those of your superiors or clients. Wise and the same thing in the west, really. No one likes someone they are paying to drive up in a Rolls. Keep the bling for your desk.

So how to get a pen that will give personal pleasure but not offend? One way is to get something of very high quality but sober design. Sailor KOP in black with rhodium plated nib and trim. Mennonite-plain, but very good.

Another way is to get something technically interesting but made of cheap materials. Like pulling out the latest cell phone - interesting as opposed to pretentious. Check out the Conid products. Plastic pens that give no offense. But they are precision tools, seal for flight, and cost the earth. No one knows but you. Cool.

Personal opinion.

For a working pen, you need to consider the environment that the pen will travel and work ink.

What are the risks of damage, loss or theft?

I had a gold pen stolen off my desk. After that the only pens I used were from the office supply cabinet. I stopped using my own expensive pens, in the office. Over 20 years later, I am still upset about that theft.

If the pen is damaged, lost or stolen, how financially difficult or easy will it be to replace it?

As the risk of damage/loss/theft increases, the value of the pen I use will decrease.

What is its purpose?

Simple writing or to impress the client?

In the US, in certain fields it is expected of the person to 'show off.' If you do not look prosperous, maybe you are not a good attorney/consultant/etc. So one is forced to get upscale items, to 'look prosperous.'

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Pilot Custom 823. It's a great pen with big ink capacity. Pilot's fine nib writes very well. It's also very professional looking.

Edited by dylim1

I am looking to get myself a high end pen to mark the completion of a milestone in my life. I would like to be able to use this pen every day - regular work, travelling, etc. For reference, I am currently 26 years old and work in finance/investment.

Given the requirement for every day use, and given that I travel a lot (plane pressure causing leakage?) - my initial thoughts have been that ballpoint could be the answer. Having said that, fountain pens (and rollerballs) create a much nicer sensation when writing, not to mention the sheer beauty of fountain pen nibs. With fountain pens, my primary concern is that using it in an office/client meetings etc. could come off as a little pretentious - especially given my age? With rollerballs, I am concerned about leakage if using it every day, travelling etc. - one other point with rollerballs is that I cannot stand when the pen doesn't write smoothly due to drying ink (I understand this is a problem with Montblancs).

Thanks!

I've traveled with my 16 pens on airplanes, none of them leaked, just watch out for any difference in pressure, they might gush when you open them; just fill them to 85% capacity.

Whether they come across as pretentious really depends on your culture and that of the people around you, the budget seems really high, I would start with something that catches your eye, some nice ink and some nice paper for way less.

Positive vibe: it comes off as retro.

Negative vibe: wow he has a politician's taste (the lowest form of life where I come from) or geez look at all that bling, somebody wants to be noticed, not cool. There's old finance which is restrained and elegant, then there's wall street money, just buy the biggest most expensive pen even if you don't appreciate it, to go along with your other expensive toys, people will still hold you in low regard either way.

Personally I couldn't care less what people think, although I have two black pens with gold trim that look really staid, but I didn't know pens came in more colours, these days I wouldn't buy anything with gold in it, it looks way too tacky - but everyone's taste is different.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

There are many many different pens that will fit the bill for you - but will you enjoy writing with them?

The fun thing about fountain pens is the wide variation in pens - big/little and light/heavy and thin/thick and giant nibs/small nibs etc. Then your writing style needs to be considered - big handwriting or small? Do you need to write with a fine line or is a medium/thick line okay? Without any of those considerations it's hard to make a recommendation.

Frankly you can purchase a beautiful pen in that price range, one that will fill you with pride and serve as a reminder of your success - but you may not enjoy writing with it.

All that said - I would suggest you have a look at http://www.nakaya.org/en/ - they will custom make a pen for you and it will be superb.

Buy whatever pen takes your fancy.

The day I start worrying about what people think of my pen choice is the day I stop using fountain pens. At work, folks think my $15 Pilot metropolitan is expensive so nobody really pays attention when I use my high end pens.

David

Edited by Sandy Fry

For so long as one hundred men remain alive,we shall never under any conditions submit to the

domination of the English. It is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but only for liberty, which

no good man will consent to lose but with his life.

Do you want a light pen, or a heavy one - which would suit your hand best?

If light then you are look at a resin or wood such as the Platinum, Montblanc and Pelikan. Very light.

If you want heavier you are looking at Visconti which has a resin section, but a metal nib unit. A nice combination as it means the weight on the pen goes towards the front. Cross also using aluminium and they are lighter than some pens.

Heavier pens are all metal ones - so you are looking at brass, silver and so on - so you may be looking at Yard-o-Led, S T Dupont and Caran D'Ache and Diplomat.

Once you've got a feeling for the weight, then it narrows down your options. However, the more expensive end of the FP market tend to remain expensive whether you buy them online or in a shop.

Is there a pen shop, or a pen show near where you live? Another thing to consider is that as an international traveller you may get the benefit of tax free shopping which might make your purchase of a high end pen a bit cheaper.

Wow, there are some truly beautiful designs out there - really appreciate the suggestions. I particularly enjoyed the Nakaya offering as well as the Conid Pens. Completely different in style (Nakaya emphasizing traditional methods and Conid pushing innovation and precision) but I like that both have relatively understated options. I also like that Nakaya is based in Tokyo - I travel there a fair bit and could visit the shop next time I head over. I like the idea of having a pen made by a local (within my region at least) pen maker.

It is clear that if I am to go down the FP route then I need to starting handling and trying different sizes/nibs/weights etc. I have small hands however I'm not so sure this 100% translates into my preference in terms of pen size/weight as I tried the MB Meisterstuck Classique and Le Grand and very much liked the feel of both. Additionally, I thought the metal Rollerball Classique felt more balanced than the resin version but this was with the rollerball. I can spend more time checking out the MB and Dupont stores however would be more difficult with regard to boutiques like Nakaya/Conid - a side note: given the relatively high maintenance required with FPs, would you recommend purchasing a pen where I have access to the physical shop in case repairs etc. are needed?

Still caught up on whether I should be going for a FP of ballpoint. This will be for everyday use (from writing on scrap paper, to taking notes at meetings, to incidental use travelling, etc.) which makes me lean towards ballpoint. However, I am fascinated by FPs - the unique writing characteristics of each pen/nib, the personal attachment that comes as a result of ones own writing style/technique. Collecting FPs almost seems like a bit of a journey discovering what works best for you personally.

Perhaps a nice Pelikan balpoint? You can put a capless gel refill in it to get the rollerball experience. Classy without being pretentious:

post-127500-0-55314700-1463572961_thumb.jpg

Wow, there are some truly beautiful designs out there - really appreciate the suggestions. I particularly enjoyed the Nakaya offering as well as the Conid Pens. Completely different in style (Nakaya emphasizing traditional methods and Conid pushing innovation and precision) but I like that both have relatively understated options. I also like that Nakaya is based in Tokyo - I travel there a fair bit and could visit the shop next time I head over. I like the idea of having a pen made by a local (within my region at least) pen maker.

It is clear that if I am to go down the FP route then I need to starting handling and trying different sizes/nibs/weights etc. I have small hands however I'm not so sure this 100% translates into my preference in terms of pen size/weight as I tried the MB Meisterstuck Classique and Le Grand and very much liked the feel of both. Additionally, I thought the metal Rollerball Classique felt more balanced than the resin version but this was with the rollerball. I can spend more time checking out the MB and Dupont stores however would be more difficult with regard to boutiques like Nakaya/Conid - a side note: given the relatively high maintenance required with FPs, would you recommend purchasing a pen where I have access to the physical shop in case repairs etc. are needed?

Still caught up on whether I should be going for a FP of ballpoint. This will be for everyday use (from writing on scrap paper, to taking notes at meetings, to incidental use travelling, etc.) which makes me lean towards ballpoint. However, I am fascinated by FPs - the unique writing characteristics of each pen/nib, the personal attachment that comes as a result of ones own writing style/technique. Collecting FPs almost seems like a bit of a journey discovering what works best for you personally.

Couple of possible considerations.

First, in over 70 years of using fountain pens I have not found them to be high maintenance and in fact repairs have most often pen on pens approaching the half century of use mark.

Next I have quite a few of the pens you mention. Among European pens my ST Duponts get far more pocket time than either Pelikan or Montblanc.

Next, most ST Dupont pens are fairly heavy but superbly balanced. The caps on most snap on and off and so they are perfect for note taking when the pen will bet used in spurts. No manufacturer I've found pays more attention to even the most mundane of details than ST Dupont.

You mention Nakaya. Also a great choice and likely less expensive than ST Dupont and I actually have one in rotation today. Much much lighter but also not a pen I post. It's not the finish I worry about; after all folk have been stacking urushi coated bowls and plates for centuries; rather it is the fact that the cap lip is relatively thin hard rubber and so possible to crack it if pushed onto the butt of the pen.

I prefer to fill mine using cartridges and Nakaya (Platinum) also offers a small insert that allows you to use any International Standard cartridges as well.

The Nakaya will be lower key than the ST Dupont.

Quite, humble, discrete COMPETENCE rarely offends. A $1000 fountain is great honor. Overtly honoring oneself publicly is always pretentious.

What do you currently use for writing ? Does this pen seem "pretentious" ? It would be your judgement, as "pretentious" is defined different in each culture and environment. $1000 is quite substantial. If you present a $1000 fountain pen, and use it in a clumsy manner, you would indeed appear pretentious AND incompetent.

I suggest acquiring a Jinhao x250 ($5) or two, and using it in the privacy of your home. Learn to become comfortable with the fountain pen. You may decide it is not suited to your needs. If you, then, desire a higher quality fountain pen, I might suggest a Waterman Hemisphere ($175) , or comparable. A black or gray one would be appropriate for a younger member. Let your quiet professionalism, and your competent results, speak for you to your clients. Let your company executives carry the $1000 fountain pens.

There are few conditions in which a $1000 Montblanc fountain is not pretentious. If your company presents you with a $1000 Montblanc , in recognition of your excellent service, you can use it daily, with honor and prestige. It was earned !

Good luck !

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Now, I should probably shut up, because I have no idea what kind of pen floats your boat, stylistically speaking, I don't even own what I'm about to suggest and have zero experience with pens anywhere close to your budget limit (student of the humanities here, lol), but how about a Pilot vanishing point?

It's a pen you can click like a ballpoint (which, in my book, makes it cooler than your average Bond gadget), it's WAY below your budget, it's practical for quick note-taking (like I said, you can click it), you don't risk looking pretentious, but it's clever enough to stand out regardless.
From what I've heard, it's apparently also quite good.

Also, +1 for most Waterman pens; they're stylish, youthful and sleek.

If you want to try something cheaper first, how about a Lamy CP1? It's a very thin, understated pen. Too thin for me, but mine writes nicely, nonetheless.

/EDIT: also +1 for post #17, a BP never hurts. Mine hasn't seen the light in months (except for some doodles), but you never know. Ah! How about a Pelikan Souverän FP + BP set? Those pens are very elegant, fairly iconic (at least over here) and at least the one I occasionally get to write with writes beautifully.

Edited by Guardy

hhcave

You should ALWAYS carry 2 pens, your fountain pen, and a rollerball/gel/ball pen.

The second pen is for 3 reasons:

#1 - If the paper does not agree with a fountain pen.

#2 - If you fountain pen stops writing, for whatever reason.

#3 - If someone asks to borrow a pen. Because most people don't know how to write with a fountain pen, they could mash the nib into the paper and bend it. And that will be an expensive repair for you.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

hhcave

You should ALWAYS carry 2 pens, your fountain pen, and a rollerball/gel/ball pen.

The second pen is for 3 reasons:

#1 - If the paper does not agree with a fountain pen.

#2 - If you fountain pen stops writing, for whatever reason.

#3 - If someone asks to borrow a pen. Because most people don't know how to write with a fountain pen, they could mash the nib into the paper and bend it. And that will be an expensive repair for you.

To expound a bit on ac12's response:

Fountain pen ink is water based and as such will not write well on some cheaper papers. If you wish to make a fountain pen your main weapon, so to speak, you can work around that to some degree by using a pen with a fine nib (Japanese Fine nibs are finer than Western fine - so a Pilot/Platinum/Sailor/Nakaya is a good option) with "dry" ink that is designed not to feather. That will work in most cases - but the downside is you are limited to certain inks and you may not like writing with a fine nib all the time. The workaround would be to also carry a ballpoint with you as ac12 indicated.

Take heart though - working through things like this is just part of the charm of using a fountain pen :)

You could go for a matching set. Cross, Parker, Pelikan all make matching BP/roller/FP sets and you can get a two pen holder to keep them in.

It's very much about having the right tools for the job. I write a number of postcards, and do a lot of heavy duty marking and in those cases a rollerball or ball point is usually ideal as not all postcards are FP friendly and a lot the paper my students use just sucks the ink up, with makes the writing too think. In addition good FP ink is too nice to waste of rubbish essays.

Rather than spend $1,000 dollars now, maybe spend $100 on a pretty set and review your position in six to twelve months time.

I have absolutely no experience with $1000 pens. I'll share what I know anyway.

An aerometric fill "51" is a remarkably understated pen with a well-earned reputation for reliability, durability, and very good behavior. It's no wonder Parker was able to sell millions and millions and millions of them during the production run which is, sadly, long since over.

It's the pen that started the hooded nib revolution in FP design. User-grade pens can be had for under $100. A perfect mint pen with a gold cap may run as much as (total guess here, never looked into it) $500?

My favorite pen, and my first Pen of a Lifetime, was a Pelikan M200 with a blue marbled binde. New M2xx pens can usually be had for under $150 if you know where to look. Pelikan's customer service is excellent. Every time I've damaged this pen, all I had to do was pack it up in a small flat rate Priority Mail box (VHS size), and send it to the US distributor, and in a few weeks, it always came back to me in perfect condition. If you want a much bigger pen, look into the M8xx and/or M1xxx. They may not hit your $1000 mark unless you get yourself a special or limited edition.

The Lamy 2000 could also be the sort of pen you're looking for. It's a tough, durable piston-filler with excellent ink capacity and a truly Bauhaus (ie, unadorned) aesthetic. I don't like them. There is a spring that has two little prongs that project out of the section to hold the cap on, and these annoy the (bleep) out of me. Others are not bothered.

If drying out is a concern, I suggest a Platinum Century 3776. Platinum is really good at making pens that you can write with on the first stroke, even after you leave in a drawer for a year or so. Platinum nibs tend to run pretty narrow, compared to most German and other Western nibs.