Pelikan M101N Tortoise Shell 1938. Repair!?

JPM-10

So, after reading some comments about repairing the seal with rubber, I contacted the shop to send the pen back without repair. I have a (possible) buyer and he want to make the decision himself (if he buys it). Got I phonecall from the shop yesterday,he was busy packing the pen for the mail and then (something that never happend before).............he dropped the pen !!!!!!! and then his colleague run over the pen with his chair !!!!!! Inktcontainer smashed and probbibly the cover over it as well. So, there goes my beautiful, spotless, originale fountain pen. He want to restore the pen with Original parts but then I have a "restored pen" Value will drop I suppose.

ACH! I literally have an upset stomach after reading this. A pen such as yours is at the top pf my 'lust list', however also beyond my means. To lose such a pen to the carelessness of others, ESPECIALLY professionals is absolutely inexcusable. Like Mana I have learned through my own misadventures to ALWAYS work with my pens while seated at a desk or work bench and handle them in such a way that there is no chance that they can drop or roll off the counter to the floor. I would think such a a protocol would be an inviolable policy for a shop that handles such delicate and valuable items.

This may be unreasonable suspicion on my part but I would wold have) immediately asked for the return of the broken parts regardless of any agreement or discussions concerning compensation repair, or replacement as proof of loss.

I am also a Koi keeper, and these fish travel thousands of miles during the process of sale and purchase. All but one of my fish are imported from Japan and were shipped by air from Japan to the US mainland. In this business anytime a buyer claims that a fish arrived dead or died as a result of transfer, the seller routinely requires a photo of the dead fish WITH THE HEAD SEVERED as proof of loss. Seems gross but I think this is understandable when you realize that some of these fish command 'Pelikan Raden' prices. (none of mine of course!)

My heart weeps for your loss, and the loss of an irreplaceable piece of history.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Xanne

• JPM-10

• christof

• mana

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I also use my pens if there is no possible option the pen can drop to the floor. I also had some hard lessons on that subject.

A quite new fountainpen dropping of the desk. At first it looked like no damage done, but after some time I found there was a crack in the barrel as a result of this accident. I was fortunate to be able to repair it myself, but... a lesson nevertheless.

Thank you Dr. Codfish for your support. I didn't know what to do after I had that message of dropping the pen.

If eveything go well I receive the pen back this week. See how the restore went.

Keep you all informed !!

Edited by Xanne

I got the pen back this afternoon. I could cry. Isn't terrible. The pen had such a beautiful yellow/copper/brown colour and the replacement is green !!!

I can not post the photo's propper but I hope you can see how the pen looks after restoring.

It does not match at all.

Don't know what to do but I think this will be an Insurance case.

That is definitely not satisfactory by any account. I hope that you might find a satisfactory remedy for the situation. Good luck.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan