Well, That's What I Get For Buying From A Boutique...

Valdair

I recently graduated, and one of the graduation presents I decided on was a platinum 146 (previously mentioned in this thread) to complement my vintage yellow gold 146 and 90 Year Anniversary 146 in rose gold. Most all of my pens have been purchased second-hand or "grey market", but I wanted to do this one properly. Contacted the boutique I have bought inks from in the past (in Las Vegas, NV) - I do not have a local one, as the nearest is several hundred miles away. As such, trying in person was simply out of the question. All of my pens range from EF to M (mostly EF/F to handle cheap school paper) so I wanted something nice and broad - after seeing various comments and videos and reviews of Montblanc's characteristically stubby, smooth broad nibs, I knew I needed one. I'll start with some pictures, because we all love that sort of thing.

http://i.imgur.com/mNn0eVR.jpgMontblanc does at least know how to do presentation. Since I had heard of people getting complimentary ink and even pen cases when purchasing from boutiques they frequent before, I inquired whether there was anything they could include. The large extra box and pamphlets were promising, and I have to say the Daniel Defoe and Leo Tolstoy booklets got me excited for perhaps some ink bottles; however, it was all just advertising, those hand cleaners and some ink samples. There were some interesting postcards and an incredibly thick piece of stationery that I might get around to using one day, but not with this pen. Read on...

http://i.imgur.com/SOWi0tq.jpgThe 146 box.

http://i.imgur.com/h6sgcFe.jpgOthers have complained that the platinum trim is boring or plain, but I completely disagree. I think it looks stunning.

http://i.imgur.com/FGSewGe.jpgIn all its glory, stickered and everything.

http://i.imgur.com/GHhdHcx.jpgNow, we come to the problem. This nib will. Not. Write.You can readily see that the tines are mis-aligned, but the problem is deeper than that - the tines are way too close together. Releasing the pen from the paper gives an audible "clack" as the metal re-collides. It will not write under its own weight. I first tried with Montblanc Toffee Brown, and upon experiencing these serious problems decided to thoroughly clean the pen out, but I knew it would not be of any use. I then tried with one of my favorite inks, Montblanc Winterglow, and results were not any better.

http://i.imgur.com/N74nDk7.png

Demonstration of how the strokes look. Upstrokes are just completely dry and toothy. Left-strokes are smooth but right-strokes are scratchy and deeply unpleasant. Downstroke is beautifully smooth and lays down a nice wet line, but I suspect that if this nib was tested at all, that's all they tried. I'm really very disappointed. Best case scenario I might have my pen back by the end of summer, even though it shouldn't cost me anything. This is almost certainly the last time I ever buy from a boutique.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Valdair

• Pravda

• Tom Kellie

• meiers

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Personally, I would contact that boutique and talk with the manager or owner and explain to them that the nib is completely unusable and unacceptable. I would tell them that they need to exchange the pen. They should do something worthy of the high prices they are charging. I would be "hopping mad"!

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

I have already contacted the boutique. I'm sure they will get me a shipping label to Texas, and I'll hear back in a few months. Unfortunately the best case scenario at this point is that I get a working pen weeks or months after ordering it.

Send. It. Back.

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

Actually, my experience with Texas has been stellar. I have sent 4 pens there (all vintage 146s) and each one was handled with great care and fixed perfectly. One caveat, be sure to read what they are going to do. My problems are 100% because of feeds which are not original and do not keep up with the flow of ink. Once I did get an estimate which cited the body being cracked. A 10 minute phone call to Texas (and a bit of diplomacy...trying not to sound like I knew more than the Mb technician but more like a wise {or wizened} customer who hangs out on FPN and knows a couple of things about pens but don't grind that in) and the solution became useful and the whole escapade is taking about 3 weeks, which isn't bad. You should get your service for free.

Of course, getting an exchange right away is the best solution. Be sure to use your loupe to make sure that all is well.

Good luck. I think you will have this sorted out soon. However, I think it's a bummer that they sent you literature about an ink you can't get and no samples or a free bottle. They should have done at least a free bottle, Pilot does when you buy their top of the line. Call me a spoiled customer.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

Hope it gets sorted out. By the way, I'm with you, I think the platinum trim against the black looks stunning.

I have already contacted the boutique. I'm sure they will get me a shipping label to Texas, and I'll hear back in a few months. Unfortunately the best case scenario at this point is that I get a working pen weeks or months after ordering it.

Did you call the boutique and ask to speak to the manager?

Did you check for misaligned tines? That's the problem with me seriously, almost every MB I ever bought did NOT write perfectly out of the box. Then comes the CEO's or whoever at the boutique claiming that every pen is tested and ensured to write perfect smugly. I love the pens but hate the experience.

Of course there is always the pitchfork and torch route, but I am sure you have thought of that.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

Did you call the boutique and ask to speak to the manager?

By the time I cleaned the pen out, the boutique was closed. I have been at work since before they opened this morning and won't be able to call until tonight.

Did you check for misaligned tines? That's the problem with me seriously, almost every MB I ever bought did NOT write perfectly out of the box. Then comes the CEO's or whoever at the boutique claiming that every pen is tested and ensured to write perfect smugly. I love the pens but hate the experience.

You can see in the original post the tines are clearly mis-aligned. This could not possibly have been missed by anyone who knew anything about fountain pens. I have always bought Montblancs second-hand or grey market for the price, and decided to finally do it "right" since my father was willing to buy it for me. Unfortunately if I had bought grey market I would be able to send it to a nibmeister for $50, have it back in two weeks, and still have a few hundred more dollars in my pocket. I realize I have gained nothing by going this route so I don't think I ever will again.

~ Reading this and seeing the misaligned nib is disheartening.

Except for the initial 149, all of my Montblancs were purchased from boutiques in Beijing, where I work and live.

In nearly every case, there was nothing less than outstanding service and superbly performing products.

The sole exception was a Classique 90th anniversary with a nib which failed to properly feed ink, which was promptly replaced.

My impression of boutique English-speaking sales staff has been that they go to extremes to ensure customer satisfaction.

With every purchase — which is more than one dozen — they've offered multiple pens in stock, allowing close inspection before making a final selection.

I hope that there will be a prompt and wholly satisfactory resolution of @Valdair's very unfortunate nib issue.

Tom K.

By the time I cleaned the pen out, the boutique was closed. I have been at work since before they opened this morning and won't be able to call until tonight.

You can see in the original post the tines are clearly mis-aligned. This could not possibly have been missed by anyone who knew anything about fountain pens. I have always bought Montblancs second-hand or grey market for the price, and decided to finally do it "right" since my father was willing to buy it for me. Unfortunately if I had bought grey market I would be able to send it to a nibmeister for $50, have it back in two weeks, and still have a few hundred more dollars in my pocket. I realize I have gained nothing by going this route so I don't think I ever will again.

Re-aligning a nib is simple no? I personally would check alignment at least while at the boutique, since you as you said anyone can spot right on. But since you went home with it and should this be its only malady, give it a go yourself! I got two pens last week with slightly misaligned nibs from the boutique and I am working on them as we speak :) Not worth a 15 minute drive to complain

Agreed. I havent had the best experiences with Boutiques... but at the same time, its close by and they have always solved the matter.

My first 145 90th edition skipped almost ALL the time. They gave me another one, the last one in the states. Therefore, it had to be brought in.

Second 145 90th, still skipped. They suggested i didnt know how to write with a fountain pen... to which i showed over 1000s of pages writen with the 149, and 144 MB, as well as my beloved and trusty CdA.

then the 145 was replaced with a 145 platinum edition. They wanted me to send back the 90th, i told them and was very adamant: i didnt buy a pen to have it in Hamburg for 13 weeks. I want a pen to use NOW. The only way to have the pen gone for 13 weeks was to get a temporary pen that i would return in the same condition once i get my working purchase.... I escalated to the manager and thats how i got the platinum edition.

I have also bough a WE Mark twain.. it also skipped often... i had Dan smith fix the nib and transform it to a stub... now it is my best writer...

Also i have a Leonardo that writes absolutely flawless out of the box.

All in all, i have had 8 different Montblanc pens, and 4 have NOT worked perfectly out of the box. When they get fixed they are amazing writers.... So, i buy at the boutique and have the problem fixed locally.

Agreed. I havent had the best experiences with Boutiques... but at the same time, its close by and they have always solved the matter.

My first 145 90th edition skipped almost ALL the time. They gave me another one, the last one in the states. Therefore, it had to be brought in.

Second 145 90th, still skipped. They suggested i didnt know how to write with a fountain pen... to which i showed over 1000s of pages writen with the 149, and 144 MB, as well as my beloved and trusty CdA.

then the 145 was replaced with a 145 platinum edition. They wanted me to send back the 90th, i told them and was very adamant: i didnt buy a pen to have it in Hamburg for 13 weeks. I want a pen to use NOW. The only way to have the pen gone for 13 weeks was to get a temporary pen that i would return in the same condition once i get my working purchase.... I escalated to the manager and thats how i got the platinum edition.

I have also bough a WE Mark twain.. it also skipped often... i had Dan smith fix the nib and transform it to a stub... now it is my best writer...

Also i have a Leonardo that writes absolutely flawless out of the box.

All in all, i have had 8 different Montblanc pens, and 4 have NOT worked perfectly out of the box. When they get fixed they are amazing writers.... So, i buy at the boutique and have the problem fixed locally.

Exactly and so after 15 years or so collecting MBs if it's no big thing I try to fix myself but if it's going to give me a headache or I felt that I may not reach optimum results I just go and make a fuss.

Point in hand, sometimes easier to fix yourself than to have to deal with not-so-knowladgeable staff that may or may not be friendly.

My nearest boutique is hundreds of miles away, in another state. I get to visit one in person once a year in December when I visit family. This is here I have bought my inks in the past, and so I decided to make my pen purchase through them (they also promised free shipping, which they did not give me, but $15 on a $750 order is not the end of the world). They had the pen in a local warehouse and despite some issues charging my card, the pen was shipped rather promptly, which I wasn't expecting since the Platinum 146 isn't a common pen and BB is not a common nib.

Re-aligning a nib is simple no? I personally would check alignment at least while at the boutique, since you as you said anyone can spot right on. But since you went home with it and should this be its only malady, give it a go yourself! I got two pens last week with slightly misaligned nibs from the boutique and I am working on them as we speak :) Not worth a 15 minute drive to complain

I did not have the opportunity to see the pen in person before purchasing, nor could I have. Sadly you can't leave it to the boutique staff to perform a cursory check for you when you're hundred of miles away.

The problem is also not simply mis-aligned tines. The tines are so tightly pressed together that every time I lift the pen from the paper they clack back together in some new orientation. It also means the fix is much harder, and not something I am going to do myself on a $750 pen - nor should I have to even consider it.

Just got off the phone with Montblanc. I have to cover the cost of shipping the pen back to the boutique, but they are sending me a brand new one instead of trying to get this one serviced. We'll see how it turns out in about a week.

Based on the many reports posted here and elsewhere, the MB purchase and service experience seems a bit inconsistent, at best. While I personally almost never (ever) buy modern pens, if I were to do so at a "boutique" I would most certainly check the item very carefully before I departed. If the sales person won't let you try...don't buy. Used from a reliable FPN seller is usually a better and cheaper option.

Just got off the phone with Montblanc. I have to cover the cost of shipping the pen back to the boutique, but they are sending me a brand new one instead of trying to get this one serviced. We'll see how it turns out in about a week.

Well, I guess that's a result.

Shame it wasn't perfect first time round, though. Reputation is everything. And it would have been nice if they had thrown in the shipping cost, on an already expensive item. Fingers crossed for the new one being perfect.

And great choice, btw. A 146 BB is a dream pen (assuming all is in order, of course)

Good luck.