The Popular Eyedropper - I Need A Little Help

Green Ink

This rubber eyedropper belonged to my great grandmother. On the body of the pen is:

THE POPULAR

PAT.MAR.22.92

fpn_1463434005__20160516-popular_eyedrop

I've filled it with ink. It has fabulous flex!

Something is wrong - It blobs out ink unpredictably. Also if you flick the pen -the tiniest flick- out come big drops of ink.

Question: Do you think there is anything I could do about it, or shall I send it off for repair?

Here are some nib photos:

fpn_1463434220__20160516-popular_eyedrop

fpn_1463434235__20160516-popular_eyedrop

fpn_1463434208__20160516-popular_eyedrop

I'm curious also, if any of you have this pen. Many thanks in advance.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Meltemi

• Uncle Red

• Green Ink

• rwilsonedn

At first glance, it appears that your pen is missing the underneath part of its feed, or that part is broken off inside the section. If that's the case, yes, it will need repair, by a repair person with an unusually large parts drawer. This could also have been a pen that only had an underfeed, I suppose. In any case, old eyedroppers can be cranky. You might try sealing the threads with a tiny bit of silicon grease (the pure stuff, not the kind with additives in it). That might stop the sudden blobbing. I don't think anything will keep the pen from blobbing if you shake it.

ron

Another thing is that it's just the nature of eyedroppers. They're very susceptible to changes in humidity and temperature (even holding it in your hand for a while can affect that) unless they're kept filled up the air pressure can force ink out the nib.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I've had a two or three Mabie Todd eyedroppers and none them leaked or blobbed during use, and none of them even required any silicone grease on the threads!

That's a very old eyedropper. Does it have more feed in the barrel or does it look like a piece broke off. Pictures of the part of the feed in the barrel would help. These old eyedroppers burp more than newer pens. Try reading up on feeds on Richardspens.com in the reference pages. Fountain pen feed technological development in the 19th century is interesting.

The feed is fine. Considering the age it was made, overfeed were completely usual. The feed seems fine unless it can't keep up with flexing. Those pens are lovely.

I like flowers, mother of pearl, dip nibs, blue, green or red inks. I also like flowers, Frida Kahlo's paintings and Josephine Baker's songs. Did I mention flowers and mother of pearl?

I know that overfeeds were common back the, but so were under feeds and over/under feeds. Actually the surface of the feed facing the camera looks like it has grooves that should be facing the nib.

When I peer down into the opening, I do see a piece in there. It's symmetrical and flat on top - possibly it's a piece that holds the nib where it should be. Or it was a very clean break!

The pen is writing beautifully. It has so much flex and flexes easily. It's not blobbing now. Hmmmmm.

I wish I could magically duplicate it and give you all one.

Indeed! I doubt the nib could suspend. Besides, the downside of the nib would have some kind of "ink-print". I love the design. They don't make them like they used to ;(. Plus the shape of the nib seems very interesting.

I like flowers, mother of pearl, dip nibs, blue, green or red inks. I also like flowers, Frida Kahlo's paintings and Josephine Baker's songs. Did I mention flowers and mother of pearl?

I sometimes think that the only pen that can be safely used as an eyedropper is the Platinum Preppy. It has a feed comparable to what you'd find in a Pilot Precise V5 rollerball.

I have to disagree with that, my Preppies constantly blobbed, I had to go to converters or cartridges..

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income. - Errol Flynn

Pelikan 100's, 200's, 400's, 600's & 805,s (Stresemann), Namiki Nippon Dragon, Montblanc 149, Platinum 3776 Music Nib, Sailor Pro Clear Demo, Montegrappa Fortuna Skull, Parker 75 Laque, 1946 Parker Vacumatic, Stipula Passporto, Kaweco.

Due to warm hands I can't use eye droppers at all.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

Well although not an elegant solution, if you use your pens at home you can wrap the barrel in plastic bubble wrap.

Note: I have done it.

Edited by Meltemi

Due to warm hands I can't use eye droppers at all.

That's me, pretty much, too. The only one I own that doesn't give me trouble, and hence become one of zwack's pens, is the beautiful old Waterman clone ED with the lovely gold filigree overlay and the wonderful super-flexy nib. Otherwise, they always give me trouble--and almost never give any trouble to my husband. Go figger :-).

"In the end, only kindness matters."